• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MD Tailgating Recommendations?

JonasDeac

Reaction score
I'm heading up to DC to visit my sister and brother-in-law next weekend and plan to take them up to College Park for the game on Saturday. Now that ESPN's generously given us time for a reasonable tailgate, I thought I'd try getting some advice to maximize the experience. We'll have a small SUV but they don't have any of the standard tailgate supplies and I'll be flying in so grilling and other things like that probably won't happen. This will be her third Wake game, the first two started off in the old student lot outside Groves so hopefully I can keep her interested in more after this time.

I'm heading up to DC to visit my sister and brother-in-law next weekend and plan to take them up to College Park for the game on Saturday. Now that ESPN's generously given us time for a reasonable tailgate, I thought I'd try getting some advice to maximize the experience. We'll have a small SUV but they don't have any of the standard tailgate supplies and I'll be flying in so grilling and other things like that probably won't happen. This will be her third Wake game, the first two started off in the old student lot outside Groves so hopefully I can keep her interested in more after this time.

When we went up to MD in 2006 we tailgated on top of a parking garage near the football field. That's always fun.

riot gear.

Will be tailgating at UMD for the first time as well. However, I will have requisite supplies (including riot gear).

Are any decent spots available? Where are they?

Tailgating at Maryland is awful. We might be going as well, and from what I can tell on the website, the only non-permit options are in parking garages. Here's the map: http://www.transportation.umd.edu/images/parking/PDFs/FootballParkingMap.pdf. And here's the information for non-permit parking: "Those individuals who do NOT possess a football game day permit may pay the prevailing rate ($15) to park at Terrapin Trail Garage (TTG), Mowatt Lane Garage (MLG), or on a limited basis at Regents Drive Garage (RDG)" (http://www.transportation.umd.edu/fballParking.html). Looks like you can also pre-purchase permits in those same three garages (https://event.parkingsoft.com/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductGroupID=95&ContextID=ztrasjiYzDvHAD0IgAhReA&). In theory, I assume you should be able to buy tickets with parking, but I couldn't find any on Stub Hub. Assuming we decide to tailgate, I think we'll try to get there as early as possible and try to snag the top level of a garage.

I could be missing something, so please enlighten me if there's a better option. But last time we went to Maryland we drove around forever trying to find the cash parking and then walked around forever trying to find somewhere to drink a few beers before the game.

Just drive to the top of one of the parking garages and have at it. Not the greatest tailgating setups for sure.

Back