• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Med school helps breath life into liberal arts

AMCDeac

Richard Joyce
Reaction score
Interesting article - https://ww2.kqed.org/mindshift/2015...-doctors-too-medical-school-rethinks-pre-med/

There are very few [medical school] courses — maybe, I can think of one off the top of my head — where doing a lot of science in college helps you,” Flatow says. “The rest of it is just a matter of, ‘How well do you study?’ ”

Flatow agrees with a growing number of medical educators that organic chemistry is largely irrelevant for medical school, and that its difficulty discourages many students.

“I know so many people who took one semester of organic chemistry [and] dropped pre-med,” she says. “My brother was one of them.”

Organic chem being "largely irrelevant" caught my attention in particular. Good friend that I do most of my fishing with (and I fish a lot) is a nurse anesthetist (maybe the best job ever, FWIW). He had to take organic chem as a prerequisite but said he actually loved the class. But I have to think the course is irrelevant to what he does every day.

Many of the courses that are pre-requisites for Med school don't have a thing to do with med school.
I think, honestly, that harder classes are used to test the mettle of potential medical students aka a weeding out process. I never used a thing that I learned in Physics, calculus, or organic chem.
I most appreciated physiology, anatomy, nutrition, cell biology, and my intro biology classes. The most important thing Wake taught me was how to study. I had a much higher GPA in med school than I did at Wake.

Many of the courses that are pre-requisites for Med school don't have a thing to do with med school.
I think, honestly, that harder classes are used to test the mettle of potential medical students aka a weeding out process. I never used a thing that I learned in Physics, calculus, or organic chem.
I most appreciated physiology, anatomy, nutrition, cell biology, and my intro biology classes. The most important thing Wake taught me was how to study. I had a much higher GPA in med school than I did at Wake.

This. "Work Forest".

Hit the books hard to get out MCL with Honors and have earned seven letters after my name since.

You can never have enough education.

Last edited:
Yes when they're actually insurance industry designations and not degrees:

CPCU- Chartered Property and Casualty Underwriter (Pass 10 exams and have at least 5 years experience)
AIM- Associate in Management (Pass 3 exams)

Pretty ambitious- well, for me anyway while working full-time. :thumbsup:

Wake Forest education served me well.

Back