• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Megalodon: Monster Shark Lives

Megalodon tooth compared to a Great White.
800px-Megalodon_tooth_with_great_white_sharks_teeth-3-2.jpg

Sadly, this was another mockumentary, a'la Mermaid: The Body Found. Poor form, Discovery, poor form. This creature is interesting enough without faking a documentary about it being alive.

Was that documentary real? Some of the footage looked too 'movie-like.'

If it was real, some of the pictures/footage were extremely compelling, especially the U-boat picture. But again the whole time I was trying to figure out if the show was even real.

Was that documentary real? Some of the footage looked too 'movie-like.'

If it was real, some of the pictures/footage were extremely compelling, especially the U-boat picture. But again the whole time I was trying to figure out if the show was even real.
Pretty sure TW speaks the truth and it was a fake documentary with some actors in it. Production quality on the "raw" videos is way too good. Especially the home video of the fishing boat, and the picture from the beach watcher (picture would have been taken at a steep down angle yet the picture shown is taken from basically an even level).

Text at the end if you missed it:
1. None of the institutions or agencies that appear in the film are affiliated with it.
2. Though some of the events and characters in this film have been dramatized, sightings of Submarine continue.
3. Megalodon was a real shark. Legends of giant sharks persist all over the world. There is still debate what they may be.

Sadly, this was another mockumentary, a'la Mermaid: The Body Found. Poor form, Discovery, poor form. This creature is interesting enough without faking a documentary about it being alive.

Has Shark Week jumped the shark?

About 10 years ago.

After AIR JAWS 2?

The last good Shark Week that I can remember pulled in their regular shows like Dirty Jobs and Mythbusters. Those were at least different.

After AIR JAWS 2?

The last good Shark Week that I can remember pulled in their regular shows like Dirty Jobs and Mythbusters. Those were at least different.

Yeah, those were the Shark Week glory days.

Pretty sure TW speaks the truth and it was a fake documentary with some actors in it. Production quality on the "raw" videos is way too good. Especially the home video of the fishing boat, and the picture from the beach watcher (picture would have been taken at a steep down angle yet the picture shown is taken from basically an even level).

Yeah, I swore I recognized the actor who played the old local fisherman who was commanding the chum guns from something else. Plus, they were muzzle-loading those chum guns in all of the scenes, which would have been slower than just dumping the barrels overboard and made no sense given the pressure hoses that appeared to be attached to them. And they had plenty of cameras around underwater to record all the boats and them swimming into the cage, but the only ones that allegedly could have gotten a picture of the thing (not to mention the sonar equipment that they never went back to) were the handheld ones by the two in the cage? I was pissed once I realized that it was all crap.

I've always been fascinated by Megalodon. The idea that a 60 foot prehistoric shark could still exist is just to cool to pass up. Obviously evidence is completely stacked against it. We don't know much about colossal squid but we do see their impact on sperm whales. We even get the occasional carcass washing up on shore.

You just don't find giant sharks or their prey signature. I think the belief that these creatures aren't extinct stems from a tooth they found in the North Sea a few years ago. It was in geological deposits that were only 10,000 years old which was quite surprising. That is quite literally a blink of an eye on geologic and evolutionary time scales so it is at least worth a thought. I guess.

Has Shark Week jumped the shark?

About 10 years ago.

The thing with Discovery, Animal Planet, TruTV, and some network stations is that they all feel that showing reality is enough. They overly dramatize things and make up stuff (such as Deadliest Catch producers having boats break down on purpose or people jump overboard to be rescued, or the producers egging on contestants on certain competition shows to confront and vote out certain people). That's all well and good but just don't call it "real" or at least let people know beforehand.

I got sucked into watching this last night. An hour of my life I wish I had back.

This was such an awful, poorly done, weak minded meandering piece of shit. I wasted 20 minutes on it.

It is sad really. It really shouldn't take much to get people interested in a show about the extinct Megalodon and what it hunted, when it lived, and how fucking big it would have been.

It is sad really. It really shouldn't take much to get people interested in a show about the extinct Megalodon and what it hunted, when it lived, and how fucking big it would have been.

Haven't there already been several editions of this?

I was mad when I realized it was all fake. It would be so cool if they chummed water like that in real life though.

Back