• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mel Brooks - PBS

WFU71

Older than Dirt
Reaction score
There's a great documentary about Mel Brooks showing on PBS. Next showings are on Saturday...really worth your time.

I had "Springtime for Hitler" stuck in my head last week after his media blitz. I'll look out for this.

I watched this on Thursday night. Really a nice piece. You can tell he is still heartbroken over his wife's death. The PBS special shows how he really pushed the envelope on comedy.

I saw a compendium of Mel Brooks' movies on DVD at Costco the other day. For some reason I passed it up. After watching the PBS special, I definitely need to go back and buy it.

blazing saddles is as funny as a movie can be

blazing saddles is as funny as a movie can be

You get a "Harumph" out of me in agreement!

I'm not sure that Mel Brooks would have been able to make Blazing Saddles in today's climate. I'm don't think that he could get away with the racial slurs and jokes. Like Mark Twain in Huckleberry Finn, he demonstrates the absurdity of racism by confronting it head on.

Dr. Richard Thorndike is my favorite character played by Mel.. The History of the world is pretty awesome as well.

Back