• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mens Basketball going to Seton Hall on Saturday, December 10th

The Rock is a good place to see a game. Easy to get to as well.

Agreed. Fans in NYC shouldn't be scared to make the trek to Newark--just imagine its a game at MSG with a 20-minute pre-game train ride through the opening credits of the Sopranos.

I think an optimist would say this year's team + Dino would only have resulted in 13-15 wins. That almost certainly would have led to his firing.

If you are talking about 2010-11, there's no way dino would have won 13 games with that squad.

He would have been fired.

The bolded part is 100% true..Stevens was approached between our ACC tourney loss to Miami and the start of the NCAA tourney.

It depresses me to think how different things could possibly be right now if Butler didn't beat Murray State by two points in the second round that year. Stevens would have had the reputation of a decent mid-major coach with no Sweet 16 appearances yet.

The only time I remember us ever playing SH was in the ACC/BE challenge at the GSO coliseum.

1990 maybe?

Off the top of my head at Vanderbilt Holiday Tournament ...December 1967. I was there. I think it was Seton Hall. Close game in consolation round as I remember.

It depresses me to think how different things could possibly be right now if Butler didn't beat Murray State by two points in the second round that year. Stevens would have had the reputation of a decent mid-major coach with no Sweet 16 appearances yet.

Many will probably call it the LOWF cynic in me, but I sort of have trouble seeing Stevens accepting the Wake job even if he loses in the 2nd round.

Many will probably call it the LOWF cynic in me, but I sort of have trouble seeing Stevens accepting the Wake job even if he loses in the 2nd round.

That's not cynicism, that's realism. Butler to Wake is a step down at the moment.

That said, I'm definitely considering making the trip up to Newark next December. Should be a decent test for our guys.

That's crap. Had they lost in the second round to Murray State, they would still be considered second tier.

He very well may still have stayed thinking that Crean would be fired at IU. That's one of the main reasons he didn't move anywhere after that season.

Had Crean not gotten the great recruiting classes he got, Stevens would have been the top option to replace him (yep over Alford). Stevens knew this and gambled.

That's crap. Had they lost in the second round to Murray State, they would still be considered second tier.

He very well may still have stayed thinking that Crean would be fired at IU. That's one of the main reasons he didn't move anywhere after that season.

Had Crean not gotten the great recruiting classes he got, Stevens would have been the top option to replace him (yep over Alford). Stevens knew this and gambled.

For several reasons, I think it is likely that within 4 years Stevens will have another chance at the Wake job, if he wants it. Unless some major new resources are put into the Wake program for facilities upgrades, recruiting budgets, staff salaries, hard to see why Stevens would take it.

If you are talking about 2010-11, there's no way dino would have won 13 games with that squad.

He would have been fired.

Grobe wasn't fired with just three wins last season. What is the difference?

Grobe wasn't fired with just three wins last season. What is the difference?

34rha2a.jpg

Last edited:
Odom won his 2nd ACC Championship in 1996. He was allowed to leave after the 2001 season. Wellman's shown in the past that after 5 years, the glitter wears off.

Odom won his 2nd ACC Championship in 1996. He was allowed to leave after the 2001 season. Wellman's shown in the past that after 5 years, the glitter wears off.

Very true. However, many expect to contend for championships in basketball, and are thrilled to contend for championships in football ... especially the alums who graduated more than ten years ago. Not taking a position either way, just sayin' ...

Reality- Wake had the worst record in D1 football for the 20th Century.

Why was Gonzaga able to back out of a series just b/c we fired our coach? Is there typically a clause in those agreements that says a school can walk away if there's a coaching change? Or did Zaga buy their way out of the agreement?

Agree that Stevens will never coach WF. Not sure where I come down on whether Butler is a better job than WF. Ten years ago I would never have thought it possible, but the world is changing.

Very true. However, many expect to contend for championships in basketball, and are thrilled to contend for championships in football ... especially the alums who graduated more than ten years ago. Not taking a position either way, just sayin' ...

Of course. But at the same time, Odom's 3rd, 4th, and 5th season after the ACC Championships were 7-9 NIT, 7-9 NIT Champs, and 8-8 NCAAT Butlerization. Grobe's 3rd and 4th seasons after the ACC Championship were 3-5 no bowl and 1-7 no bowl including 3-14 (2-11) in our last 17 games against 1-A.

Grobe's high was higher. His current low is also lower than where Odom was in 2000. Hopefully we don't find out how much longer our football program can stay at this level until the ACC Championship wears off.

Last edited:
In the abstract, Wake is unquestionably a better job than Butler. Quit the LOWF bitching and moaning--it is and always will be a better job than Butler. But for Stevens, who has already been knighted (pun intended) at Butler, it would take a much better (and more stable) position to lure him away.

I don't see any situation where Stevens doesn't end up at UNC, Duke or Indiana with Duke and Indiana being the leading candidates.

Back