• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Men's Basketball is a Joke...

This is turning into the ultimate OWG thread. But I really disagree that palming, PALMING, is that big of a problem in the game. Players get more of their hand on the side of the ball than they did in the Teen Wolf basketball game, but no one is really regularly bringing their hand underneath the ball.

If you want to argue about the quality of the game right now, argue the impact of AAU basketball and the one-and-done rule. There's a reason a team like the Spurs have succeeded by finding guys overseas. But I still don't think the NBA is filled with just one-on-one play. NBA playoffs are the best basketball you will see. Great teamwork for the most part.

We should go back to when basketball was a game of skill - with the two-handed set shot.

Last edited:
Wait....what? Who's Geno Auriemma??

He must coach girls basketball or something nobody ever watches. Never heard of him. ;)

Well, whichever side you are on, let's just be honest about it.

The bottom line here is that one side is saying that the game should be played according to the rules of the game. The other side is saying that the rules are irrelevant in today's game.

If someone wants to say that rules are irrelevant, I suppose that is his privilege....but I think it probably says as much about society today as it does about the game of basketball.

:golfclap:

BTW, noone is saying the rules are irrelevant.

Is this a trick question? Don't know what gun control has to do with this, but I'm in favor of gun control. I've never owned a gun in my life...and never felt deprived that I didn't.

You argument was just eerily similar to that of the pro-gun lobby. "Let's not change the rules, just enforce the ones we have"

If you have been reading my posts over the years, I would think that you would have known what my position was on gun control. I'm a Robert Kennedy/George McGovern/Howard Dean Liberal. Worked in all three of their campaigns...and my only son is named after Robert Kennedy.

That's why I thought your comments were funny.

If you have been reading my posts over the years, I would think that you would have known what my position was on gun control. I'm a Robert Kennedy/George McGovern/Howard Dean Liberal. Worked in all three of their campaigns...and my only son is named after Robert Kennedy.

like anyone could read all your posts over the years and remember anything other than "LOUD NOISES."

The joke is UConn 105-54 over Texas in the round of 32. Until women's hoops can field a balanced and competitive tournament, The 10 teams that have all the talent can just beat up on the rest of the NCAA and continue to wonder why no one watches.

I think this list is mostly rubbish. #4 doesn't happen as much as you think. Players are almost never going straight backwards into their defender. That would be a charge. They are typically moving side to side to feel where the defender is and then making a move based on that. If a defender is not guarding them as strongly on one side, the offensive player takes the space on that side and moves closer to the basket.

The hilarity of this list though is that this reads like Rand Paul enumerating the ways that the Constitution isn't applied just like it was written in THE RULES!

That is just wrong. Post players consistently do go straight into the defender and bump them to get the defender off balance before making their move or to gain a few inches. It is only a charge if the referee calls it. Many times they don't unless the defender actually gets knocked down.....so guys flop to try to get the charge.

That is just wrong. Post players consistently do go straight into the defender and bump them to get the defender off balance before making their move or to gain a few inches. It is only a charge if the referee calls it. Many times they don't unless the defender actually gets knocked down.....so guys flop to try to get the charge.

I think it happens much less than you think if you are really looking for it. Also, if the defender isn't already fully set, it's basically the same as a dribbling offensive player making a move to the basket. An offensive player with his back to the basket shouldn't be prevented from moving toward the basket merely because his back is to the basket. If the defensive player is set though, you can't just run him over.

The tools at ESPN got a few things correct around Auriemma's comments:

AAU ball is garbage.

Nobody learns how to SHOOT. Great athletes from the past like Jordan/Dominique/Sarunas Maciulunas - they could also SHOOT the ball. Hell, the most athletic Deacon front court ever - Tucker/King/Rogers - they were all decent shooters out to 16-18 feet. Rogers became a solid DEEP shooter in the NBA.

Weight room yes, but even more so is overall physical ability emphasized now more than ever (not Arnold Schwarz muscles, but more running and jumping and finishing at the rim put the honus on the refs to call fouls). In other words, throw up some garbage and crash the glass (see Anthony Towns and Cauley Stein and Lyles). They are not throwing up garbage, but same theory.

Most old school guys liked watching Notre Dame play this year - like the Spurs - they can pass/dribble/and SHOOT. Well not so much FT at the end of the game (all that on Brey for only playing 6 guys in a motion offense - dead legs). ND choked that game away.

Kobe and others (I believe Chuck Barkley) have already made Auriemma's argument about Euros in the NBA. Euros entering with much better skill level (Mirotic/Bogdanavic) and a lot of others on the way, apparently.

American kids like Wiggins are having to learn on the fly in the NBA - much tougher route.

Ya Jesus christ. Girls bball is such a shit product. His team is in the final 4 nearly every year. There is virtually 0 upsets in their game because the talent differential from them to even teams in their league is huge.

Going back to TUA's comment. I know most of us don't give a flip about most women's sports. I like competition, so I don't mind watching some. But Gino should stfu. UConn has ruined women's basketball. There is a chance that I would watch a women's game every now and then if there was any competition. But all of the country's best players go to UConn. Everyone else usually plays for 2nd place. It's a bad enough product to begin with, without competition, it's unwatchable. Their Final Four is the 180 of the men's Final Four, no drama expected.

Going back to TUA's comment. I know most of us don't give a flip about most women's sports. I like competition, so I don't mind watching some. But Gino should stfu. UConn has ruined women's basketball. There is a chance that I would watch a women's game every now and then if there was any competition. But all of the country's best players go to UConn. Everyone else usually plays for 2nd place. It's a bad enough product to begin with, without competition, it's unwatchable. Their Final Four is the 180 of the men's Final Four, no drama expected.

I don't disagree, but to blame Geno for being so infuriatingly better than everyone else is a bit misplaced. "Hey Geno, for the good of the game and everyone's entertainment, could you let off the gas a bit?"

I don't disagree, but to blame Geno for being so infuriatingly better than everyone else is a bit misplaced. "Hey Geno, for the good of the game and everyone's entertainment, could you let off the gas a bit?"

You're correct, I did not say it well. And I know the comparisons with UCLA in the '60's. I just wish they would go away, then it might be competitive. Would like to see South Carolina win it this weekend. Not a chance.

Back