• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Microsoft ending XP support

Well by then it will REALLY be time to upgrade a computer from something that is still running XP.

I did like XP, though. It had some kinks initially, but I think by the first or second security overhaul, it ran very smoothly.

XP was good. Vista was an abomination. I've been very happy with 7 the past couple of years, and have zero desire to try 8.

Does XP mode in Win7 work pretty well? I have two desktops - the one with XP has a bunch of programs I don't wish to purchase a second time.

Got a desktop I need to switch from XP to 7. Dread it for 2 reasons. (1) It's my understanding you can't do an upgrade but must do a clean install. (2) It'll be one version closer to Windows 8.

Does XP mode in Win7 work pretty well? I have two desktops - the one with XP has a bunch of programs I don't wish to purchase a second time.

images

When you factor in the total number of users, XP pro might be the most stable OS ever made.

XP is soooooooooooo slooooooooooooowww in comparison to 7.

I know XP was so slow I switched. I also know my last work computer running XP sometimes took 45 minutes or longer to boot up before it was upgraded. 45 minutes. That's absolutely unheard of.

BTW, my 2 year old Mac still boots up plenty quick.

I know XP was so slow I switched. I also know my last work computer running XP sometimes took 45 minutes or longer to boot up before it was upgraded. 45 minutes. That's absolutely unheard of.

That's not an XP issue...that's an issue with your IT group, or more likely, a hardware issue with the actual machine.

I don't doubt that but both of the laptops I owned that ran XP also slowed down considerably over time...even like a couple of months. I'm glad Windows 7 seems to be much better in this regard.

That's not an XP issue...that's an issue with your IT group, or more likely, a hardware issue with the actual machine.

Actually it's an XP issue. It's not really XP's fault though - at this point it's an absolutely arcane operating system. Homeland Security machines also take around 30 minutes to boot - it's because the modern secure channels for communications have to use the ancient back-end of XP for initializing those connections. I've looked at some of that code - it's just nuts how much old crap is in there. Plus the minute you tweak XP or remove unnecessary features, it breaks Microsoft's also arcane patching system which is a requirement for virtually every security group out there.

XP's longevity isn't due to its greatness. It's due to the garbage that was Vista and the level of effort involved in migrating to new usable versions. It's bad enough that right now I'm on an IBM project and all the laptops they're issuing for business support are Linux-based Thinkpads. All developer laptops are Macbooks that run Linux and Windows as VM's if required.

Even if you hate Apple, Unix was coming. Microsoft just completely screwed up, and it was inevitable that a Unix system would challenge them. Apple porting BSD as both iOS and OSX is the only reason Windows 7 happened so far ahead of schedule. And for that matter Windows 8, love it or hate it. It would have been Google if Apple had dropped the ball with something like Chrome OS.

Back