• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mid 20's vs. Mid 30's

Ive been that guy for the last 6-7 years. Although 21 year olds are not cool. 25-28 is sort of my wheelhouse. Im 34 and have been dating that age range for the last 8 years. There are defs some wives and girlfriends who get snarky when their SO runs out with TAB.

They dont get snarky because of who you date, they get snarky when we go out, but it is not because of who you date. It is because I show up at 10 am the next day stinking of many many bad things and having not been to bed.

Just turned 35 and feel better overall than when I was 25. Weigh about the same, maybe more now, but care a lot more about staying in shape and working out now than I did then (which was not at all).

Drank a lot more, a lot more often and a lot later into the night then, and felt like shit all the time as a result. Now, drink 2-3 nights a week, couple of drinks, only good stuff, start earlier, done earlier, feel good the next day.

Eat better now.

Can't lay around all weekend, or on weekday mornings, because of kids, so am much more active overall -- playing with kids, etc., -- and find it difficult to just veg out (do love the half hour nap when the kids are napping though). Watch about 1-2 hours of tv a day now, probably 4-5 on weekends, compared to double that when I was 25.

Was in law school then and in a much less stressful job now, but having two kids aged 2 and 6 months can be stressful, so that's a wash.

Sex? Male.

How are you not brain-dead?

a big night is drinking 4-6 strong beers and a healthy pour of bourbon or scotch instead of 15 miller lites and 4 irish car bombs

BINGO.

I'm 34, and in almost the exact situation... never napped, 3 dependants, etc....

My friends and I used to have 'Car bomb night' at this bar down the road that had specials.

I will 'veg out' or nap now because it's very rare that ever happens. As far as weight, I never really cared about eating, just drinking in my 20's. So many times I would go out with friends, maybe snack on an appetizer, but I would get home, lay on my couch, and making it to the fridge was WAY to much effort. Now, I'm always on the move, and always eating my kids food (damn they eat way better than I did growing up).

I love being mid-30, I think a lot has to do with finances. Before, we would pull every dollar together to get nose bleeds to the sixers, now I sit in a box. When we went to a strip club, I would have to go to a BYO, pay the cover, and have an extra $20 for tips....last time I went to a strip club, I got a 2 girl lap dance (WINNING!)....

Finally, 100% agree on the car. With kids, I need efficiency, low payment, and safety.

BINGO.

I'm 34, and in almost the exact situation... never napped, 3 dependants, etc....

My friends and I used to have 'Car bomb night' at this bar down the road that had specials.

I will 'veg out' or nap now because it's very rare that ever happens. As far as weight, I never really cared about eating, just drinking in my 20's. So many times I would go out with friends, maybe snack on an appetizer, but I would get home, lay on my couch, and making it to the fridge was WAY to much effort. Now, I'm always on the move, and always eating my kids food (damn they eat way better than I did growing up).

I love being mid-30, I think a lot has to do with finances. Before, we would pull every dollar together to get nose bleeds to the sixers, now I sit in a box. When we went to a strip club, I would have to go to a BYO, pay the cover, and have an extra $20 for tips....last time I went to a strip club, I got a 2 girl lap dance (WINNING!)....

Finally, 100% agree on the car. With kids, I need efficiency, low payment, and safety.

I love how you talk about needing an efficient car with a low payment that's safe for the kids in the same post that you're bragging about a dual lap dance. Keeping it real!

My kid is only 2, but am I the only one who has mellowed out post-kids? I don't know if I'm just happier because of my son or something, but I'm not nearly as high-strung as I used to be.

I'm only 30, but way too much of these earlier posts apply to me. I can't drink for shit anymore and I have to be careful about what I eat, especially snack-wise, post-supper. I also have slowed down physically quite a bit.

A lot more reading, a lot less boozing and playing sports. FML.

So you become the younger friend of the guys in their early 30s who their wives and girlfriends don't like because you're always trolling for 21 year old girls.

I see your point, although that's more of a cliche (the bitter wife/gf of friends) than a reality in my experience.

1-2 hours of TV is hardly any TV compared to the average; think about all the time you leave the TV on and do other stuff

Agreed. 1-2 hours is one or two shows a night. That's nothing. I would go crazy without it. On weeknights, my wife and I get the kids down by 7:30 or 8, shove in some dinner while watching 1 or 2 shows before bed to wind down. I'm guessing that's less than the average tv viewing.

I love how you talk about needing an efficient car with a low payment that's safe for the kids in the same post that you're bragging about a dual lap dance. Keeping it real!

priorities brotha..

That's probably the number 1 difference IMO about mid - 30's. The time to go out and live it up are fewer and further between...so when that time comes, you must strike. The strippers aren't leaving with me, so the ride doesn't matter...

mid 40's, CFO of public company. Add in 3 very active kids aged 9 / 11 / 13 and the wife and I stay on the go. I generally have no time to just veg out, except taking 2 or 3trips to Vegas each year with a group of buddies.

I have much more money than I had in my 20's or 30's, but spend almost nothing on myself. Same as some of you on the car - clean and dependable, with room for 5. Can't remember the last time I got a power nap, which was a regular occurrence in my 20s and 30s.

Don't dread the 40's though. I honestly believe they have been the best years of my life (so far anyways). The reason I have all the stress / responsibilities is because I want to make sure I take care of the wife and kids. The reward for taking on all of that stress is getting to watch my kids grow up. No, I don't play golf or go out anywhere near as much as I used to, but I won't trade the time I get to spend with my family for anything.

When you're in your twenties, most girls you legitamtely want to date at least make you wait a little bit, when you're in your thirties its just straight to pound town.

When you're in your twenties, most girls you legitamtely want to date at least make you wait a little bit, when you're in your thirties its just straight to pound town.

that's because their leverage is gone or starting to go by the time they're 30. An 18 y/o guy is desperate to get laid like a 34 year old woman is desperate to find a good guy...so they'll jump at anything they can get.

I just turned 30 and the way my friend described the 30s is the way I like to describe them (hopefully someday)...

My 30s are like my 20s only this time I know what I'm doing.

Holy shit you're 30? This freaks me out for some reason.

that's because their leverage is gone or starting to go by the time they're 30. An 18 y/o guy is desperate to get laid like a 34 year old woman is desperate to find a good guy...so they'll jump at anything they can get.

ain't that the truth!

If you're not looking to get married 30-35 seems like a good time to date to draw a good range of women and take advantage of the lack of leverage.

Back