• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mid-Season Report Card

liveanddiedeac

Reaction score
Offense: A+ no doubt :bowrofl: Seriously F-, the offense has been worse then I would've thought which is pretty bad since I thought the offense would struggle before the season started. I like Wolford, but he is getting overwhelmed due to lack of an offensive line. He needs to work on his decision making, he's making throws he shouldn't make, but again most of that is due to the poor O-line play. The offensive playcalling is obviously limited to the lack of talent on offense as well, although I haven't been a fan of a lot of our run play calls. Once we get better talent on offense, I think the offensive coaching will look a lot better, no duh right. The 2 young TE's are probably the lone bright spot on offense, I think both can become real weapons for us, once again when we get better talent on offense.

Defense: Serious A+ here in my opinion. Given the fact that we lost our entire starting d-line from last year, the fact that we lost a projected starter on the d-line before the season even started, and especially considering the fact that they get no help from the offense and the offense even hurts the defense at times, our D has played great. The d-line has been a real surprise for me and we only lose Ziggy next year, of course we're going to have to replace a couple of really good corners next year too. Anyway, I like the 4-2-5 scheme and I like the aggressive nature it appears the defense coaches are instilling in our guys. We're getting more pressure on the opposing QB this season and doing a good job against the run, at least until they start getting worn down from being out there the whole game. I know the stats may not say A+, but the circumstances do in my opinion.

Special Teams: A. They're doing their job. Kinal is being effective with a variety of punts, Weaver hasn't missed a FG/XP yet and Centers has shown good leg on kickoffs. Coverage has been pretty good and we haven't allowed a block yet and got a punt block against ULM. Nice to see solid special teams play from our team and it will pay dividends down the road.

Coaching: B. I like Clawson a lot, I think he's the real deal, just needs a little time. I'm sure he wants to win this season, but I think he's a big picture guy, that knows that to build program you've got to look past the short-term especially starting out. As of right now, I think we've got one of the highest rated recruiting classes we've ever had committed, at least verbally anyway. At times I've questioned the offensive play calling, especially in the run game, but any play calls are severely hampered by our O-line right now. Defensive and special team coaching has been very good in my opinion.

If you give the defense lower than an A, you know nothing about football. :)

If you give the defense lower than an A, you know nothing about football. :)

Yeah, I couldn't give the defense anything other than a A+. The fact that those guys have basically kept us in every game except FSU (and they kept us in that one awhile) given the complete offensive ineptitude, is almost miraculous.

They have played like a top 10 unit nationally.

I mean they've played pretty well given the circumstances. I think they're between B+ and an A-. I've vacillated on it.

No offense to the OP, but grading this first season is stupid because Football rebuilding jobs never win in year 1. Claw has taken 3 different teams to conference championships, and yet he still only won 5 combined games in his first seasons at those 3 programs. I'm sorry for all the RS Seniors on this team, but we'd all be better off if we wrote off this season.

Last edited:
No offense to the OP, but grading this first season is stupid, Football rebuilding jobs never win in year 1. Claw has taken 3 different teams to conference championships, and yet he still only won 5 combined games in his first seasons at those 3 programs. I'm sorry for all the RS Seniors on this team, but we'd all be better off if we wrote off this season.

Pretty much what I pointed out in my comments about coaching.

Offense: F-
Defense: A
Special Teams: A+
Overall: C

The talent is lacking, but to have a historically awful offense, the coaching/preparation has to play some role. Still optimistic about the future, but hope to see at least minimal offensive improvement over the 2nd half of the season.

How many different ways can we say, "D/ST good, offense bad"?

No offense to the OP, but grading this first season is stupid, Football rebuilding jobs never win in year 1. Claw has taken 3 different teams to conference championships, and yet he still only won 5 combined games in his first seasons at those 3 programs. I'm sorry for all the RS Seniors on this team, but we'd all be better off if we wrote off this season.

Agree, but this is not about winning. I think every reasonable expectation was that WF would be about 2-3 at this point in the season. For me, grading the team is where the various units rank versus the expectations heading into the season. The defense and special teams have exceeded expectations. Even with very little expected of the offense, it has been able to meet that low benchmark.

Last edited:
Offense: F
Defense: A
Special Teams: B
Overall: D

Agree with this. Offense drags the team down this much. We desperate need some spark from the return game.

Agree with this. Offense drags the team down this much. We desperate need some spark from the return game.

It really does, as I've stated before we're 2/3's of a good team, defense and special teams. The problem is the bad third, offense, is so bad there's no way to overcome it against decent competition. You can have the greatest defense known to man, but if you can't score on offense it's hard to win football games. The offense will come in time as the staff gets better talent in here and hopefully they can continue to stock the defense with good talent as well. I would love to watch a well balanced football team, even the 2006 team leaned heavy on the defense.

The Offense gets an F only because there isn't a worse grade.

I don't understand how special teams could be worse than an A- but that's nitpicking.

Special teams has been nearly perfect this year haven't they? No blocked kicks, no missed field goals. No big returns (could be forgetting one here). Return game is lacking a bit I suppose.

We haven't had a return of more than 10 yards since Scooby's freshman year....have we?!

Back