• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mike and Mike this morning (nwt)

Has Monty ever even won a tournament in the US? f he hasn't he's hardly on that list.

Monty is without question on the short list of best golfers to never win a major. I'm not sure if anyone has won more times on a major tour without having won a major - I think he has more than 30 Euro Tour victories, and won the money title there 7 or 8 times. Westwood, Sergio, Donald, Stricker - all somewhere on the list, but none have had the career that Monty has/had.

Monty is without question on the short list of best golfers to never win a major. I'm not sure if anyone has won more times on a major tour without having won a major - I think he has more than 30 Euro Tour victories, and won the money title there 7 or 8 times. Westwood, Sergio, Donald, Stricker - all somewhere on the list, but none have had the career that Monty has/had.

I think Westwood and Donald will get theirs in the next couple of years. This year's Masters should be phenomenal if the recent tournaments are any indication.

barry-bonds-flag.jpg

I think Westwood and Donald will get theirs in the next couple of years. This year's Masters should be phenomenal if the recent tournaments are any indication.

Agreed about the Maters. Early season of golf has been phenomenal. I think the Match Play this weekend could be great, too, if the big names advance tomorrow. I think Donald wins a major, but am not sure about Westwood. Like Monty (and Sergio), he may have already had too many close calls to get it done on Sunday.

If were talking golf we gotta put Scott Hoch in there

If were talking golf we gotta put Scott Hoch in there

Hoch and Jay Haas had similar (and fantastic) careers. But, they are not up there with Monty in terms of sustained dominance/best players to not win a major.

Pretty sure that Herschel Walker is the best football player never to win a Super Bowl.

It's cheating, but Jim Brown technically never won a Super Bowl.

NBA: Elgin Baylor
MLB: Barry Bonds

Bo Jackson

You pick the sport ;-)

That guy was amazing

What about OJ Simpson or Gayle Sayers? They've got to be high on the NFL list, though I think Marino takes it.

I don't completely disagree with the earlier posts about Monty, except that he never won a single tournament in the US, much less a major. And the Euro tour wasn't nearly as deep talent-wise when he was winning all those money titles as it is now.

And for baseball, Lou Gehrig has to be in the conversation. Incredible numbers as they stand and probably had three to four productive years cut from his career. He'd likely be the all-time RBI leader had he not gotten sick.

And for baseball, Lou Gehrig has to be in the conversation. Incredible numbers as they stand and probably had three to four productive years cut from his career. He'd likely be the all-time RBI leader had he not gotten sick.

Except Lou Gehrig won World Series titles in 1927, 1928, 1932, 1936, 1937 and 1938.

Well besides those years, he's probably the best mlb player never to have won.

Well, that's completely my bad. I obviously didn't consider all of the info in the OP prior to posting my comment.

I haven't posted in over a month and as soon as I do, I f^ck up. That'll teach me to waste time here.

So, I ask this to my friend and we end up getting in 30 minute debate/ argument over Ted Williams and Barry Bonds. (I am a Sox fan so you know who I was defending)

So, I ask this to my friend and we end up getting in 30 minute debate/ argument over Ted Williams and Barry Bonds. (I am a Sox fan so you know who I was defending)

The right one, obviously. The one who could have been a home-run king and been even greater had he not decided to go be a fighter pilot for a few years. Teddy Ballgame.

Malone and Stockton definitely deserved one. They just had a small "Michael Jordan" problem at the end of the road that nobody can blame them for not getting past.

Marino stands out for football, as does Barry Sanders like everyone has said already

Back