• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mike Glennon on ESPN radio this morning

Is there any school in NC that wouldn't trade their results of the last 20 years with Wake's? I think our number of wins is about the same as UNC (maybe UNC has won a few games more than us over 20 years, but also the Atlantic is and always has been the harder division in the ACC) and maybe we've had 10 or so fewer wins than NCSU, but no one has been a juggernaut and while Wake has had a few more "pathetic" years than UNC and State, we're the only team with an ACC Championship and more than one trip to the ACCCG and our overall record isn't that much worse than NCSU or UNC since then.

To answer his question how nobody has figured out how to stop it, maybe the answer is to just be better at football?

People still listen to what Mike Glennon has to say?
Well the only reason I did is because I turned it to ESPNU radio and they had this guy saying these things about Wake Forest and I wanted to know who it was. If I'd known it was Mike Glennon to start with, I'd have probably not wasted my time.

Last edited:
I can’t hear his name without thinking of Frank Caliendo doing his impression of Jon Gruden at Raider training camp on Hard Knocks.

Our perception problem is multi-layered:

Recently, we've been losing to Clemson (forever) and UNCCH when we should have been winning.

Over a longer period, we have been what we've been. Post WWII (78 seasons now) we possibly have only 2 to 3 coaches above 50% in winning percentage, and that is just barely. No coach has been above 55% as I recall.

Because of the longer term conditions, in spite of whatever Donald Fagan says, one of the enduring songs referencing the Crimson Tide refers to the Deacon Blues as "a name for when I lose."

In terms of raw numbers, WF's supporters consist of the smallest raw number in all of P5 and most of G5.

It takes sheer guts to be a Waker Forest football supporter regardless of the level of investment. Changing perceptions will take more than a few good seasons and more than a few good years of financial support as Jim Grobe and staff learned the hard way.

Hard to say we have a recent perception probably of being 15-4 instead of 18-1.

Our perception problem is multi-layered:

Recently, we've been losing to Clemson (forever) and UNCCH when we should have been winning.

Over a longer period, we have been what we've been. Post WWII (78 seasons now) we possibly have only 2 to 3 coaches above 50% in winning percentage, and that is just barely. No coach has been above 55% as I recall.

Because of the longer term conditions, in spite of whatever Donald Fagan says, one of the enduring songs referencing the Crimson Tide refers to the Deacon Blues as "a name for when I lose."

In terms of raw numbers, WF's supporters consist of the smallest raw number in all of P5 and most of G5.

It takes sheer guts to be a Waker Forest football supporter regardless of the level of investment. Changing perceptions will take more than a few good seasons and more than a few good years of financial support as Jim Grobe and staff learned the hard way.
The bolded is really the biggest factor. We have a small fanbase that does not provide the ratings or clicks that big media companies want. Other perennial underdogs get a lot more coverage when they do well because they have much bigger alumni bases.

Most football fans don't watch Wake Forest football. They can't have an informed opinion. My BIL is an Ohio State/ Big Ten guy. He is a harsh critic. Throws compliments around like they are manhole covers. He also began watching the Deacs periodically several years ago, just like I began watching OSU. He has watched enough to appreciate the fact that the Deacon offense "works" and "scores points". He believes OSU has the best receivers in college football, but the catch made by Greene for a TD was "big-time" and Williams third down catch was the "one of best, clutch catches" he has ever seen. These were unsolicited. Talking about the Deacs this morning he stated the Deacs "have an offense that can beat anyone, but the defense has to improve to make the playoffs". A die hard OSU/B1G fan talking about Wake Forest football and the CFP in the same sentence, said in a matter of fact manner. Still shaking my head in disbelief.

The Deacons are being seen this year by a much larger audience. This is year two of being ranked. The casual fan is beginning to pay attention and they will continue watch because the Deacs are high scoring and make plays. They are fun to watch. They are now legit and will continue to be legit as long as they win. Winning cures most everything, maybe even LOWF.

Check out the CFB community on Reddit. It is huge and the perception among general college football fans surrounding Wake Forest is very good and it seems like a decent number of people casually watch our games because they are entertaining.

Yeah the Army and Carolina games last year and Clemson game this year were entertaining as hell for casual fans.

Check out the CFB community on Reddit. It is huge and the perception among general college football fans surrounding Wake Forest is very good and it seems like a decent number of people casually watch our games because they are entertaining.

CFB Reddit LOVES Wake Forest. The Deacs get tons of mentions (relative to our size), with hardly any negativity.

RIP /u/wake_is_great
Watch Alex Gibbs coaching clinic videos on YouTube if you didn’t play college football and want to learn offensive X’s and O’s While be entertained with salty language. He explains how smart guys at center, QB, and RB are so important. WF has a lot of smart football players. That together with cohesion, smart coaches, good athletes, toughness and strength and conditioning makes for consistent winning.

Watch Alex Gibbs coaching clinic videos on YouTube if you didn’t play college football and want to learn offensive X’s and O’s While be entertained with salty language. He explains how smart guys at center, QB, and RB are so important. WF has a lot of smart football players. That together with cohesion, smart coaches, good athletes, toughness and strength and conditioning makes for consistent winning.
Ain’t nothing gimmicky about the offense. You pass when there are 8 in the box. You run if there is a two deep. We can beat teams by running with hat on hat. And we have a great passing game when teams take the run away.

okay but what does that have to do with my post you quoted

Most football fans don't watch Wake Forest football. They can't have an informed opinion. My BIL is an Ohio State/ Big Ten guy. He is a harsh critic. Throws compliments around like they are manhole covers. He also began watching the Deacs periodically several years ago, just like I began watching OSU. He has watched enough to appreciate the fact that the Deacon offense "works" and "scores points". He believes OSU has the best receivers in college football, but the catch made by Greene for a TD was "big-time" and Williams third down catch was the "one of best, clutch catches" he has ever seen. These were unsolicited. Talking about the Deacs this morning he stated the Deacs "have an offense that can beat anyone, but the defense has to improve to make the playoffs". A die hard OSU/B1G fan talking about Wake Forest football and the CFP in the same sentence, said in a matter of fact manner. Still shaking my head in disbelief.

The Deacons are being seen this year by a much larger audience. This is year two of being ranked. The casual fan is beginning to pay attention and they will continue watch because the Deacs are high scoring and make plays. They are fun to watch. They are now legit and will continue to be legit as long as they win. Winning cures most everything, maybe even LOWF.
i'm gonna ramble here a bit

kind of like you. Michigan alum for brother in law. state alum for other BIL. UNC grad best friend. Live among a bunch of hokies. to the man, they all say wake has the best WRs in the nation. all note Ohio state. and not that any of us are experts but neither is herbie (he's a homer). personally, i believe greene and perry are legit NFL receivers. maybe not randy moss or jerry rice, but will start and play. williams, morin and banks would play on any team in the nation - IMO.

i believe the last two weeks with wake being on ABC (and being good games) people took note. all the pundits say clemson defense is legit, well wake put it on them. while i didn't want to hear it, college football fans raved about the Wake-Clemson game. to turn around and win at FSU i think was huge for perception (which to me is reality - wake is good)

i'm gonna ramble here a bit

kind of like you. Michigan alum for brother in law. state alum for other BIL. UNC grad best friend. Live among a bunch of hokies. to the man, they all say wake has the best WRs in the nation. all note Ohio state. and not that any of us are experts but neither is herbie (he's a homer). personally, i believe greene and perry are legit NFL receivers. maybe not randy moss or jerry rice, but will start and play. williams, morin and banks would play on any team in the nation - IMO.

i believe the last two weeks with wake being on ABC (and being good games) people took note. all the pundits say clemson defense is legit, well wake put it on them. while i didn't want to hear it, college football fans raved about the Wake-Clemson game. to turn around and win at FSU i think was huge for perception (which to me is reality - wake is good)
How can Herbie be an expert on all things college football when he's doing Thursday night NFL games in addition to his Gameday and college game he broadcasts every week?

Back