• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Miley Cyrus

After her performance at the VMA's, what do you think of Miley Cyrus?

• Total voters
Pretty intriguing article (to me, not to most, probably) about the racial/sexual aspect of Miley's performance - http://battymamzelle.blogspot.com/2013/08/Solidarity-Is-For-Miley-Cyrus.html#.Uhze79Lvs-J

Solidarity Is For Miley Cyrus: The Racial Implications of Her VMA Performance

As a black woman, I feel like I owe a debt of gratitude to Mikki Kendall, of #SolidarityIsForWhiteWomen fame for managing to so perfectly encapsulate years of subjugation of black women by white women. With those five words, she was able to instantly zero in on why Intersectional Feminism is so necessary if the feminist movement is to progress.
Because Miley's performance last night, and the subsequent ignoring of the racial implications of what she did is just the latest incident in the long line of things that shows me as a black woman, that white feminism does not want me, or care to have me.
Jezebel's piece on the performance chose to focus on the slut shaming that has been thrown Miley's way in the wake of the performance. All fine and good. Slut .

Get the fucking fuck out of here with this bullshit.

That is the biggest stream of explosive diarrhea I have seen in a long long while.

The real issue at hand is: wtf are any of you doing watching or paying attention to the VMAs?

Get the fucking fuck out of here with this bullshit.

That is the biggest stream of explosive diarrhea I have seen in a long long while.

Wait, you don't agree that fat women shaking their asses is directly analogous to Native American ceremonial headdresses?

The real issue at hand is: wtf are any of you doing watching or paying attention to the VMAs?

1992 performers (MUSIC SUCKS NOWADAYS POST):

The Black Crowes — "Remedy"
Bobby Brown — "Humpin' Around"
U2 and Dana Carvey — "Even Better Than the Real Thing" (live via satellite from Detroit)
Def Leppard — "Let's Get Rocked"
Nirvana — "Rape Me" (intro) / "Lithium"
Elton John — "The One"
Pearl Jam — "Jeremy"
Red Hot Chili Peppers — "Give It Away"
Michael Jackson — "Black or White" (from his Dangerous Tour in London)
Bryan Adams — "Do I Have to Say the Words?"
En Vogue — "Free Your Mind"
Eric Clapton — "Tears in Heaven"
Guns N' Roses and Elton John — "November Rain"

And I've resigned myself to the position that it's impossible to have meaningful race/gender discussions on this board, so I won't defend the article I posted, just left it there for those who might be interested.

so you are admitting to trolling the board with the article because you know their stance?

btw, townie: "music sucks nowadays" == "news has gone to shit"

1992 performers (MUSIC SUCKS NOWADAYS POST):

The Black Crowes — "Remedy"
Bobby Brown — "Humpin' Around"
U2 and Dana Carvey — "Even Better Than the Real Thing" (live via satellite from Detroit)
Def Leppard — "Let's Get Rocked"
Nirvana — "Rape Me" (intro) / "Lithium"
Elton John — "The One"
Pearl Jam — "Jeremy"
Red Hot Chili Peppers — "Give It Away"
Michael Jackson — "Black or White" (from his Dangerous Tour in London)
Bryan Adams — "Do I Have to Say the Words?"
En Vogue — "Free Your Mind"
Eric Clapton — "Tears in Heaven"
Guns N' Roses and Elton John — "November Rain"

Point made. It sucked back then too.

And I've resigned myself to the position that it's impossible to have meaningful race/gender discussions on this board, so I won't defend the article I posted, just left it there for those who might be interested.

The best part of the comments for the articles are the cries of "white privilege" whenever anyone disagrees with the author. Hopefully your defense would be a little more nuanced.

Shouldn't that writer be directing her ire toward the hip hop industry?

1. I think Moonzz has it right. That tongue is the most disconcerting.
2. I think TAB has it right. That article might be the single worst thing on the iterwebz. I mean, she points out that she is A BLACK FEMALE three times in the first paragraph.
3. Townie be trollin
4. I would rather stick my dick in that raw turkey.

I was hoping Daft Punk would perform. They didn't. I enjoyed Miley immensely, though.

Wait, you don't agree that fat women shaking their asses is directly analogous to Native American ceremonial headdresses?

That bitch isn't even from America.

Yes, its all Miley's fault

The Ying Yang Twins came out with "Whistle While You Twerk" in 2000. The dancing has been around longer than that.

Middle America just found out on Sunday night.

Last edited:
Back