• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Military Bowl Attendance

As far as i know:

1) no. Just (some) scholarship athletes. Partial scholarship athletes in equivalency sports don't get meal plans.
2) per diem is an amount mandated by the NCAA. I don't know what it is, but i wouldn't be surprised if it was the same as traveling band kids. Most of our meals were usually provided on trips , so we usually got to save most of it.
3) at Wake, yes, all athletes including cheerleaders are eligible for tutoring. Yes, it's free.

Thanks. That's helpful. I'd imagine the per diem is the same for band kids. Of course, band kids travel substantially less often and rarely have meals provided on trips.

I think access to tutoring could be a helpful benefit. Since academics seem to be a reason for not joining, it would be something nice to offer even if very few took advantage.

For the record, I'm not recommending that band members be treated as student-athletes (even though cheer and dance members are I believe). I'm trying to answer the question of what more could be done to attract/retain band members.

Maybe some more recent band members know more about this, but here is something my son shared with me. My son spent 8 years as a HS band director and now owns a company that sells uniforms, accessories, printed apparel, etc. to HS and college band programs. We went up to the 2014 Syracuse game and at one point I commented on how incredibly small the band was. It looked like we didn't even have fifty horns.

My son told me that a very popular band director left Wake (won't go into the circumstances) and that a lot of kids were upset and quit the band. My son assured me that that was only word on the street, but if true, that could still be having an impact.

Maybe some more recent band members know more about this, but here is something my son shared with me. My son spent 8 years as a HS band director and now owns a company that sells uniforms, accessories, printed apparel, etc. to HS and college band programs. We went up to the 2014 Syracuse game and at one point I commented on how incredibly small the band was. It looked like we didn't even have fifty horns.

My son told me that a very popular band director left Wake (won't go into the circumstances) and that a lot of kids were upset and quit the band. My son assured me that that was only word on the street, but if true, that could still be having an impact.

I wouldn't say that was THE reason. More correlation =/= causation. Could have played a small part as he was popular with some of the kids.

How helpful would tutoring actually be to the average non-student athlete?

For the record, I'm not recommending that band members be treated as student-athletes (even though cheer and dance members are I believe). I'm trying to answer the question of what more could be done to attract/retain band members.

What do you mean about cheer/dance members? Because I'm not sure that's true.

How helpful would tutoring actually be to the average non-student athlete?

Many (I would say more than 30%) Wake Forest students use tutoring. So plenty find it helpful. Though to your point, in my mind it's just a selling point. "If you're worried about your academics know that we have partnered with Student-Athlete Services to provide tutoring to interested band member.s" I imagine fewer than 10 band members would actually take advantage.

I was mostly referencing Wakephan's info about tutoring being made available to them. But they also get out of the HES 101 credit for participation (like student-athletes).

I would say there was a time when he was very popular but that wasn't necessarily the case when he left. There are always some students who leave band for whatever reason, but I'm not sure any left solely because of the leadership change. By 2014, it had been three years without a bowl. I would connect the shrink more to athletic performance.

Cheer and Dance are both represented on SAAC (Student-Athlete Advisory Committee), have assigned to them an Academic Counseling staff member (Kristin Weisse, i think), and have access to all study hall and tutorial services. They are, for all intents and purposes, student-athletes at Wake.

But at the same time it *feels* unfair when the band is getting stipends and there are a hundred wake forest athletes getting nothing.

If you are speaking about the football team here, they are on scholarship, and the band is not. If you are talking about walk-ons or other sports, that is a somewhat different conversation.

Also being a former band member, I think the band typically has low numbers is the time commitment combined with the academic level at Wake. Requiring music majors to play in the band might help some, but I just don't think the music department at Wake is that big compared to most other football schools. Tuition at Wake probably plays a significant part in that as well.

Huge time commitment on my part back in the day to play trumpet for football, basketball and jazz bands.

I traveled to every away ACC football stadium over 4 years as well as the Final 8 game where we "retired" Ray Meyer of DePaul. :)

Oh, and not to mention I met my wife! ;)

Huge time commitment on my part back in the day to play trumpet for football, basketball and jazz bands.

I traveled to every away ACC football stadium over 4 years as well as the Final 8 game where we "retired" Ray Meyer of DePaul. :)

Oh, and not to mention I met my wife! ;)

So........your huge time commitment was worth it......right?

If you are speaking about the football team here, they are on scholarship, and the band is not. If you are talking about walk-ons or other sports, that is a somewhat different conversation.

I don't understand. I'm clearly not talking about the football team because most of them are on full scholarships. My "a hundred wake forest athletes" was definitely referring to walk-ons and equivalency sport athletes.

Should walk-ons get participation stipends too? What about the soccer player on a third of a scholarship? To be fair, many walk-ons do receive books stipends.

Back