• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Military Spending

Tax+Rate.jpg

also helpful - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Income_tax_in_the_United_States

The answer to that question is irrelevant to how much revenue our country needs. It is not the goal (or even authority) of tax policy to sort out winners and losers. That's the free market's job.

answer my question, dude.

who in America is having the best go at it? who runs things in America?

We have to get out of the land wars. That will save tens of billions.

We also have to cut other spending but it is a double edged sword. Some of those cuts will cost jobs.

What's amazing to me is that some people think cutting spending doesn't have any impact on unemployment.

Short term, certainly. Long run, less clear.

How do you think they feel about the current situation?

None of them are investing in new lines of business or hiring; thus, the economy sputters and chokes its way to long-term, double digit unemployment. There are several explanations for that fact, but undeniably among them are government regulation, the prospect of future taxation to pay for entitlement programs like health care, etc., and restrictions on exploration.

None of them are investing in new lines of business or hiring; thus, the economy sputters and chokes its way to long-term, double digit unemployment. There are several explanations for that fact, but undeniably among them are government regulation, the prospect of future taxation to pay for entitlement programs like health care, etc., and restrictions on exploration.

I see a very happy and content wealthy class in America. I see revenues and profits on the rise across almost all business sectors. I see corporations and banks flush with cash and investors enjoying huge bonuses. I could be wrong but I thought earnings were up last time they were reported. I see wealthy individuals enjoying historically low taxes to boot. employment is anemic- but that's of little concern to this class because they've learned to get more out of less labor. that sucks for you and me, because it costs taxpayers a lot of money to keep them fed and medicated. Remember when everyone was laid off and there were even fewer jobs than there are now and no one was hiring, and you wanted to pull people's unemployment benefits? That was just a couple of years ago, you remember. that plays right into the playbook of the class that runs things in America. If there's no bread, let 'em eat cake - right?

You went right to the next page of the playbook and started blaming the working class and elderly retirees who are sick.

you want to slash their benefits and the regulations in place to protect the little guy to solve the deficit that was caused by debt-fueled expansion that went disproportionally to the wealthy. crazy

Liberals hate almost all the Constitution except for two parts. They adore the Commerce Clause because the expanded interpretation of it allows them to do anything they want.

But if that doesn't work, they have the Necessary and Proper Clause, which they interpret to read: "Congress can do anything that it deems necessary and proper, the outmoded concept of limited government and the Tenth Amendment be damned."

I see a very happy and content wealthy class in America. I see revenues and profits on the rise across almost all business sectors. ***

I see >10% real unemployment. We'll see who's right in about 18 months.

I'm pretty sure you're in a cult, Pour.
LOL...yea, it's called "wake forest fan club".

But if you're serious about these issues, you really should give generational theory a chance. People always say history repeats itself but can never really put their finger on how. Generational theory describes history as a repeating ~80 year cycle of prevailing dogma.

What repeats are the reactions to issues, the patterns of how those concerns get harder to justify as the issues of the dogma get resolved, and types of people that dominate each part of the cycle. What changes are the specific objects of those concerns and outcomes. We forget the cycle because the part of previous cycle where people felt the same was one lifetime past and now forgotten. Make sense?

you want to slash their benefits and the regulations in place to protect the little guy to solve the deficit that was caused by debt-fueled expansion that went disproportionally to the wealthy. crazy
Those regulations don't protect the little guy from the government class who is also looking to screw him over by making him dependent on them, and the wealthy just take advantage of that dependence. That's how they get over on the little guy in the 2000s.

The government class conned everyone into making cheap guaranteed loans to everyone because it would not be "fair" otherwise. The wealthy then made money on the up and down ride they knew was going to end. Everyone but the government class and ultimately wealthy lost. You blame the wealthy, but they're just doing what you would do. The government class are the ones who set it all up. We could have stopped it, but were too worried about political correctness to do the right thing....too worried about helping the little guy to slash his cheap loan benefits.

Who is the "government class" and how do you distinguish them from the wealthy?

Those regulations don't protect the little guy from the government class who is also looking to screw him over by making him dependent on them, and the wealthy just take advantage of that dependence. That's how they get over on the little guy in the 2000s.

The government class conned everyone into making cheap guaranteed loans to everyone because it would not be "fair" otherwise. The wealthy then made money on the up and down ride they knew was going to end. Everyone but the government class and ultimately wealthy lost. You blame the wealthy, but they're just doing what you would do. The government class are the ones who set it all up. We could have stopped it, but were too worried about political correctness to do the right thing....too worried about helping the little guy to slash his cheap loan benefits.

WTF are you talking about?

LOL...yea, it's called "wake forest fan club".

But if you're serious about these issues, you really should give generational theory a chance. People always say history repeats itself but can never really put their finger on how. Generational theory describes history as a repeating ~80 year cycle of prevailing dogma.

What repeats are the reactions to issues, the patterns of how those concerns get harder to justify as the issues of the dogma get resolved, and types of people that dominate each part of the cycle. What changes are the specific objects of those concerns and outcomes. We forget the cycle because the part of previous cycle where people felt the same was one lifetime past and now forgotten. Make sense?

Following that logic we ought to be hitting a depressing any day now...

I'm beginning to see why David Mamet thinks higher education is a joke.

who puts this "government class" in office and influences their decision-making with expensive lobbying?

Last edited:
Our fiscal woes bear almost no relation to a failure to tax. There is a parade of horribles of waste.

Crazy. There is a floor at which a tax base supports a superpower without taking on debt, and we are way below it thanks to the Bush tax cuts.

I've neve seen a fiscal analysis that ignores the realities of the revenue side before.

Back