• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Millennial Feminists Fret Over Holding of Doors; or, Should Men Hold the Door ?

I usually hold the door for anyone behind me. The comeback I heard years ago if a women says anything negative is "I'm not holding it open because you are a women. I'm holding it because I'm a gentleman". I DO get a little annoyed when I hold the door for someone as we enter a restaurant and they go straight to he hostess and get a table before me. Seems like the courteous thing to do is say "he got here in front of me". That won't keep me from continuing to hold the door but is just a pet peeve.

this x10000

I usually hold the door for anyone behind me. The comeback I heard years ago if a women says anything negative is "I'm not holding it open because you are a women. I'm holding it because I'm a gentleman". I DO get a little annoyed when I hold the door for someone as we enter a restaurant and they go straight to he hostess and get a table before me. Seems like the courteous thing to do is say "he got here in front of me". That won't keep me from continuing to hold the door but is just a pet peeve.

It’s so… performative. Like yes, you’re so polite and chivalrous, here’s a cookie.

Kai is calling you out!

And the best thing about that photo is that she's not wearing any pants, in which case you can look at her butt if she enters the door first..
I wonder if the carpet matches the drapes. A purple landing strip could be fun. Unfortunately since she is a feminist, it's probably more like a full purple bush.

Or when they don’t acknowledge you holding the door for them. Happens more than you’d think. I always follow with an exaggerated “you’re welcome” if so

Fucking shit, we have crazy amounts of free time to think about stupid stuff.

Fucking shit, we have crazy amounts of free time to think about stupid stuff.

magnets-550x327.jpg

Kai is calling you out!

Meh, Kai can kiss my ass. I read her comment about someone is being "performative" if she is 6' away from the door. I mean a door is 3' wide so when opened (she would be at arms reach to the door) and she would expect me to just let it close on her? I get the 6' was just for reference but a simple nod/smile/wave and a "I'm good" would be enough for me to let the door close right in front of someone and not feel like an ass. I guess I grew up to not be such a angry person that I can't take an extra 2 seconds of my time to be polite. Man life is getting depressing.
NEXT TIME:

The lesson, as always: sit at the bar.

Also stupidly there seems to be a big distinction between opening the door, standing to the side and having someone go in before you versus going in yourself but holding the door open behind you so they don't have to open it again

If it is a stranger whether I hold the door behind me or stand to the side depends on timing and physics. I never think twice about holding the door if someone is close. If someone has their hands full, such as pushing a stroller, I will expand the distance permitted for a hold.

The weird one in my office is the elevator. The culture here seems to have women enter and exit first. I play along usually, but sometimes the elevator is crowded and I am in front. In that case I am popping out first. I see some guys twister their way into not getting out first.

Back