• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Millions of Poor Left Uncovered by ACA

Combat_Bootstrap.JPG

my dad doesn't qualify for it, here in North Carolina, because he doesn't make enough money laying carpet and vinyl flooring.

Poor people excluded from the Medicaid expansion will not be subject to fines for lacking coverage.
Well, at least they've got that going for them.

Mississippi has the largest percentage of poor and uninsured people in the country — 13 percent. Willie Charles Carter, an unemployed 53-year-old whose most recent job was as a maintenance worker at a public school, has had problems with his leg since surgery last year.

His income is below Mississippi’s ceiling for Medicaid — which is about $3,000 a year — but he has no dependent children, so he does not qualify. And his income is too low to make him eligible for subsidies on the federal health exchange.

“You got to be almost dead before you can get Medicaid in Mississippi,” he said.

He does not know what he will do when the clinic where he goes for medical care, the Good Samaritan Health Center in Greenville, closes next month because of lack of funding.

“I’m scared all the time,” he said. “I just walk around here with faith in God to take care of me.”
This is so fucked up.

The GOP wants poor people to work and pull themselves up by their bootstraps. And when they do, the GOP led states in the South take away their Medicaid.

This is a fucking fiasco and absolute disgrace. Just scrap this whole fucking thing and start over- and this time make sure you come up with a way so that the Republicans can't fuck over the working poor.

This is a fucking fiasco and absolute disgrace. Just scrap this whole fucking thing and start over- and this time make sure you come up with a way so that the Republicans can't fuck over the working poor.

It's hard to not imagine a bunch of white dudes sitting around and realizing with some glee, "hey, here's a group of people we can now deny health insurance! Sure it's the working poor...the one's trying to find their bootstraps...but hey, it's SOME group we can deny! Hell, they don't vote for us anyway."

Mississippi claims that the 10% they'd have to pay for the Medicaid expansion beyond 2016 is too expensive. I wonder how much return they'd get on that investment from more people being able to work more, earn more money, spend more on consumer goods because they don't have to save every penny to pay their healthcare out of pocket.

A Man Who Worked Too Hard

I read this in a professional journal earlier today. Found the above link to the piece (the journal site requires a subscription/log in). Just sort of highlights some of what we're on about lately here...

Back