• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Minnesota Football Team

wfufb2014

Reaction score
Anyone see this story? Whole team is boycotting the bowl game due to 10 players being suspended in a Title IX case.

N Illinois is waiting on deck if the Gophers bow out. With all of the money involved, I wonder what the HC will do. I bet the Prez will lift the suspensions.

Last edited:
N Illinois is waiting on deck if the Gophers bow out. With all of the money involved, I wonder what the HC will do. I bet the Prez will lift the suspensions.

No way. The uproar if he lifted suspensions arising out of a sexual assault because the football team refuses to play would be epic.

The players were already suspended or is this a second assault?

The suspensions are the result of the conclusions of the Title IX investigation. I am unaware of any other suspensions.

Three of the players missed home games earlier this season due to a restraining order filed against them by alleged victim, but that was not school imposed discipline.

This says no arrests were made, no charges filed, and a restraining order was lifted by a judge after a settlement on November 2.

I get that something had to be done, but putting "Title IX investigations" in the hands of complete dumbasses without a hint of professionalism like Paul Cousins at State is not the answer. Student conduct officers are not remotely qualified to handle cases that the justice system can barely handle.

There were some players that basically lined a train up on this girl and the girl felt bad about it afterwards. Didn't protest it as rape at the time it was going on but told police it was rape. Player showed police 3 videos that undermined her rape claim. I think 4-5 players were involved. I'm guessing the other 5-6 committed the sin of viewing the videos or distributing them maybe.

No way. The uproar if he lifted suspensions arising out of a sexual assault because the football team refuses to play would be epic.

It isn't quite that simple. The local prosecutor investigated the case and decided no charges were to be filed. And the administration has obviously taken a different stance despite, to my understanding, not having investigated themselves. Quite a mess.

The players backed down late last night. I'm guessing their scholarships were threatened.

players are getting new hearings. they got what they wanted.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...sault-suspensions_us_585558a0e4b03904470910e8

The players said they would not resume practicing ― and were even prepared to skip the Dec. 27 Holiday Bowl in San Diego ― unless all 10 of the suspensions were lifted.

“After many hours of discussion within our team, and after speaking with President Kaler, it became clear that our original request of having the 10 suspensions overturned was not going to happen,” the players said in their statement.

The Title 9 investigation, done by on campus title 9 employees is independent of any legal findings. Once the Title 9 investigation is complete and the "preponderance" of evidence (at least 51% likelihood of guilt) according to the Title 9 campus office, is made, then they can implement suspensions, expulsions, etc. They are the judge and jury, and in many cases, there are prejudices before the investigation begins.

The Title 9 investigation, done by on campus title 9 employees is independent of any legal findings. Once the Title 9 investigation is complete and the "preponderance" of evidence (at least 51% likelihood of guilt) according to the Title 9 campus office, is made, then they can implement suspensions, expulsions, etc. They are the judge and jury, and in many cases, there are prejudices before the investigation begins.

I for one am shocked that college professors promoted to administration can't be trusted to impartially weigh evidence and practice a profession they aren't trained or experienced in. It's almost like there is a reason no one else is willing to pay them for this skill that they don't have.

The Title IX officer found a Title IX issue? You don't say. Related: the free brake inspection I had performed last week---by the place that installs new brakes---- turned up a finding that I needed my brakes replaced. Weird, but at least I got a sweet deal on that free inspection. I mean, you can't beat free, right?

I for one am shocked that college professors promoted to administration can't be trusted to impartially weigh evidence and practice a profession they aren't trained or experienced in. It's almost like there is a reason no one else is willing to pay them for this skill that they don't have.

The Title IX officer found a Title IX issue? You don't say. Related: the free brake inspection I had performed last week---by the place that installs new brakes---- turned up a finding that I needed my brakes replaced. Weird, but at least I got a sweet deal on that free inspection. I mean, you can't beat free, right?

Not sure Title IX investigations work that way. I would expect a large number of them are conducted by outside lawyers.

I would recommend that everyone read the full 80-page report before commenting on whether or not the investigation was adequate.

I read it, it was thorough, and I thought seemed fair to the players. In it, some of the players themselves report that the victim did/said things that suggested that she wasn't ok with what was happening and that they encouraged one of their teammates to stop things, but he didn't. It's hard to read the whole thing and come away with the impression that nothing untoward happened--and apparently the players thought the same thing and that's why they ended the boycott.

Reactions: ITK
Back