• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Minnesota - Wake Forest Game Thread

I see the line has moved to Minnesota -6.

I don't have a good feeling about this one. Hope I'm wrong.

At least the game is on TV... like an actual channel and not something I have to view through my XBox.

Seems like the pre-season just ended and now the real season begins. We have 9 guys averaging double digit minutes and nobody averaging over 27 - think we're the only team in the ACC with so few minutes at the top.

Will be really interesting to see if we add minutes to Devin/Codi/Wilbekin and tighten up the rotation outside of them. Also will be a bit surprised if Leonard keeps starting over Dinos much longer. He had that one 2 minute span where he started off with 3 threes against Iona - outside of that he's been good for a couple of putbacks and maybe a 3 per game but mostly invisible. As a one year rental I'd love to see him out of the starting lineup. More development time for Dinos, plus you could bring Leonard in with Rountree to make up for Rountree's lack of shooting.

Doesn't look like Minnesota has a dominant big man. Not a bad matchup for us as far as being home underdogs goes.

316d36b.jpg

Common mistake is to overrate a team's latest result. The Delaware State game was an aberration (not claiming WF is a NCAA tourney team, but WF is far better than it looked on Friday, which is not saying much).

Think that the game will be close. I like WF plus the points.

Last edited:
Not going to be pretty and the ACC has already dug itself a hole in the Challenge with 2 home losses last night by Clem's son and F$U.

I also saw the Golden Gophers play against St. John's. The Johnnies are much, much better than Wake and were lucky to win the game due to some horrific shooting by Minnesota in the second half, which was only partly attributable to very good defense by St. John's. The Johnnies played a 2/3 zone most of the game (they switched to a man defense once in a while, at least I think that is what it was--also resembled a box-and-1 every now and then) and have a very athletic center who clogs up the middle, making drives to the basket unproductive. The Johnnies lost the title game to Gonzaga on Friday but it was a close, well-fought game, this time the problem being foul trouble and poor shooting. In other words, Minnesota looked pretty good and lost when they went cold for an extended period in the second half. The only time St. John's led by more than 5 was at the end of the game.

Our only chance is if Minnesota's shooting woes continue. If they shoot anything like a decent college basketball team we lose by double digits.

Remember when we used to care about this "challenge"? I'm not sure whether the current lack of interest on my part (and maybe I'm wrongly extrapolating that lack of interest to other Wake fans) is due to our suckitude or to the increased number of teams in each conference (not to mention Alaska now being in the other conference) or what, but I just don't have much interest in which conference wins. It's just another game.

:bkfbatsignal: -- Bob Knight is calling our game tonight.

And I'm gonna make this the game thread if that's OK with y'all.

WF-Minnesota 2001 game is on ESPN Classic right now. Skip's first year.

Wow - that pre-game article from disco dan reminded me of how badly Devin got embarrassed against Del St... I hope that was truly an aberration - we need him to be consistently excellent if we are going to be any good at all.

:bkfbatsignal: -- Bob Knight is calling our game tonight.

And I'm gonna make this the game thread if that's OK with y'all.

Great. This means we will get some pretty solid analysis. The last couple of commentators we've had have been almost as bad as Jeff [Redacted].

Wow - that pre-game article from disco dan reminded me of how badly Devin got embarrassed against Del St... I hope that was truly an aberration - we need him to be consistently excellent if we are going to be any good at all.

I didn't see the Del st game. Also missed Iona. Seemed almost hard to believe reading the recap of Del St.

Yeah wake fans are likely to underestimate their chances at this point based on last time out. I personally think we lose but it should be a good game. Obviously blowouts can happen at anytime though. Wake is a one point dog on KenPom and six points in Vegas

Common mistake is to overrate a team's latest result. The Delaware State game was an aberration (not claiming WF is a NCAA tourney team, but WF is far better than it looked on Friday, which is not saying much).

Was the Iona game an aberration too?

Was the Iona game an aberration too?

No. Iona is better than us and that game was basically a toss up. We lost by four. Delaware State is like the third worst team we play and 150+ spots worse than us in the country. We lost by seven. That's an aberration.

Back