• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Minority Areas Pay Higher Car Insurance Premiums Than White Areas With the Same Risk

PhDeac

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
Reaction score
https://www.propublica.org/article/...-car-insurance-premiums-white-areas-same-risk

[h=1]Minority Neighborhoods Pay Higher Car Insurance Premiums Than White Areas With the Same Risk[/h] [h=2]Our analysis of premiums and payouts in California, Illinois, Texas and Missouri shows that some major insurers charge minority neighborhoods as much as 30 percent more than other areas with similar accident costs.[/h]
But a first-of-its-kind analysis by ProPublica and Consumer Reports, which examined auto insurance premiums and payouts in California, Illinois, Texas and Missouri, has found that many of the disparities in auto insurance prices between minority and white neighborhoods are wider than differences in risk can explain. In some cases, insurers such as Allstate, Geico and Liberty Mutual were charging premiums that were on average 30 percent higher in zip codes where most residents are minorities than in whiter neighborhoods with similar accident costs.

Our findings document what consumer advocates have long suspected: Despite laws in almost every state banning discriminatory rate-setting, some minority neighborhoods pay higher auto insurance premiums than do white areas with similar payouts on claims. This disparity may amount to a subtler form of redlining, a term that traditionally refers to denial of services or products to minority areas. And, since minorities tend to lag behind whites in income, they may be hard-pressed to afford the higher payments.

If asian woman don't have the highest premiums then you know there's something wrong.

Does this include damage from vandalism, theft, or auto break ins?

Accidents are a single component of the rate.

If you have questions, read the article and the comments section.

I did. Consumer Reports doesn't believe credit should be a valid factor in insurance rating.

I did. Consumer Reports doesn't believe credit should be a valid factor in insurance rating.
I can't open the link, did they not control for credit rating? That's a pretty glaring variable.

I can't open the link, did they not control for credit rating? That's a pretty glaring variable.

Yes, they did.

From the methods section:

Insurance companies calculate premiums based on their prediction of how risky a driver will be. In general, an insurer will start with a base rate and increase or decrease that rate based on an insured’s driving record, demographics, location or other factors.
The types of factors used in these risk algorithms vary widely. Some states allow insurers to use factors aside from driving records such as occupation and credit scores as part of their risk calculations.
In order to control for factors outside of geography, we limited our analysis to a single profile – a 30-year-old female safe driver who is a teacher with a bachelor’s degree and excellent credit, with no accidents or moving violations, and who is purchasing standard coverage with the company for the first time. She drives a 2016 Toyota Camry, and has a fifteen-mile commute, and drives around 13,000 miles a year. She is purchasing a policy for $100,000 of property damage coverage and $100,000 to cover medical bills per person up to $300,000 per accident.

this is the only mention in the actual article: "Such criteria as credit score and occupation have been shown to result in higher prices for minorities."

Consumer['s Anecdotal] Reports' "reports" always strike me as light on solid conclusions and more on presenting a story agreeing with what the reader believes to be probably true, namely that Big Business is a dragon to be slayed.

Insurance rating is unfortunately arcane and opaque for anyone who is not an actuarial. Overall, I'm pretty agnostic about credit being used but very much against 'price optimization'. Redlining is more of big, real issue at the sales level than the rating and underwriting level.

Back