• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Missouri Football Players Strike

Start watching at 1:45 of the below. It'd probably get a call in Cameron, but uhm....

Are you fucking serious? Not even Battier in his prime could pull that off. This idiot should be charged with needlessly inciting civil unrest and expelled. If the admin (and the Missouri legislature as an extension of the taxpayers supporting the institution) had any balls, they would demand a public apology from each of the striking football players or else decide not to renew their scholarships for next year.
But then they would probably get labeled racists, so why bother.

Last edited:
Are you fucking serious? Not even Battier in his prime could pull that off. This idiot should be charged with needlessly inciting civil unrest and expelled. If the admin (and the Missouri legislature as an extension of the taxpayers supporting the institution) had any balls, they would demand a public apology from each of the striking football players or else decide not to renew their scholarships for next year.
But then they would probably get labeled racists, so why bother.

So, who going to volunteer to run into Wellman's parked car?

i think we may have liveanddiedeac's dreaded scenario of the football players' striking over nothing. for shame...

Is there anyone seriously contending that the president did anything wrong?

Why can't people fucking figure out at this dude isn't the president of the University? Why would he be the "face of the institution"? He is the president of the UM System.

Not at all what I'm suggesting. We have a kid protesting about some unidentifiable harm done by the president through a hunger strike. The fact that he is incredibly privileged and loaded just makes him more of a d-bag.

At least for the ousted President, he has a target with potentially deep pockets to sue the shit out of for fabricating all of this nonsense to interfere with his employment contract. I'd use that video as Exhibit A and file suit against this clown and his daddy warbucks tomorrow.

Why can't people fucking figure out at this dude isn't the president of the University? Why would he be the "face of the institution"? He is the president of the UM System.

Right. Get that. Were the protesters not calling for his removal?

I hope Tim Wolfe sues the shit out of that kid.

At least for the ousted President, he has a target with potentially deep pockets to sue the shit out of for fabricating all of this nonsense to interfere with his employment contract. I'd use that video as Exhibit A and file suit against this clown and his daddy warbucks tomorrow.

Not sure I'd want to open myself up to civil discovery and permit people to go mining through my emails to find evidence that I'm a raciost.

I commented on this earlier: same thing in North Carolina where when most people hear "UNC System", they think "UNC-Chapel Hill". Some of that is ignorance, but also some of it is a true belief that the "flagship" university for all intents and purposes IS the "system".

Not sure I'd want to open myself up to civil discovery and permit people to go mining through my emails to find evidence that I'm a raciost.

Meh, all that would be irrelevant. Men on Film would have to establish allegations that Wolfe was racist against him personally for any of that to be remotely relevant to be searched in a defense/counterclaim setting, which has not been alleged at all (I guess other than the theory that the Battier flop on the car was racial targeting, which would be thrown out in one viewing of the video).

Meh, all that would be irrelevant. Men on Film would have to establish allegations that Wolfe was racist against him personally for any of that to be remotely relevant to be searched in a defense/counterclaim setting, which has not been alleged at all (I guess other than the theory that the Battier flop on the car was racial targeting, which would be thrown out in one viewing of the video).

Yeah but I don't really care about winning the lawsuit if I'm going to get painted as a raciost in the process. Pass.

Every single piece of evidence that emerges from this situation seems to be proof that the protesters have very little reason to incite this kind of uproar. They made the protest a personal racist attack against Cook and the Chancellor, yet they have shown no evidence of him being complicit in anything racially motivated. Whitlock's article is spot on. These idiots have wasted real political capital and blemished actual racial progression by creating a false narrative and associating it with real racial problems. The protesters have set back race relations in the state and nationally by giving TRUE racists an excuse to laugh off any honest discussion. When you make yourself a symbol, you need to make sure you are a worthy candidate. This protest simply was not worthy and it may serve to trivialize worthy protests in the future as they are unfairly compared to this debacle.

To be fair true racists probably weren't interested in having any civil discourse on race relations to start with. Stuff like this does help alienate people who otherwise might be sympathetic. Although I think a lot of the same people on here showing up to make pithy comments worthy of an email thread with a bunch of other white frat brothers from the 80's probably haven't been taking the whole racial unrest issue with much seriousness to begin with.

Also the people saying this makes all future claims of racial issues less believable should make sure they apply the same logic to future "sincerely held beliefs" post-Kim Davis for ideological consistency. If the Missouri incident paints racial equality activists poorly, Davis sure as hell paints religious activists poorly as well.

Last edited:
No these are not the same. They may be intertwined because generally white privilege can partially manifest itself through income inequalities but being stopped for "driving while black," for instance, doesn't really have any root in SES whatsoever. You could actually argue that the better off a black person is the more likely they are to be stopped for driving while black.
Police harassment has been argued as a socioeconomic barrier hasn't it? That's part of the Ferguson issue, where poor people (mostly black) were stuck in some sort of cycle of tickets/court fees...and jail. That situation raised racial tensions in the town leading to the shooting.

You seem to be saying that "white privilege" means whites don't experience black racism. Guess I don't get the point of viewing it that way.

To be fair, there are plenty of people out there that care deeply about social justice who will develop fatigue with repetitive situations where someone cries "wolf". If these stories come out appearing sensational and then reveal themselves to just be sensationalized after the facts come out, people will "learn" from that. People will begin to expect that when they first hear of these situations. I think there is an important level of responsibility to keep the conversation honest and the participants accountable if we are going to make the result of these situations productive.

Not at all what I'm suggesting. We have a kid protesting about some unidentifiable harm done by the president through a hunger strike. The fact that he is incredibly privileged and loaded just makes him more of a d-bag.
Probably daddy issues.

To be fair, there are plenty of people out there that care deeply about social justice who will develop fatigue with repetitive situations where someone cries "wolf". If these stories come out appearing sensational and then reveal themselves to just be sensationalized after the facts come out, people will "learn" from that. People will begin to expect that when they first hear of these situations. I think there is an important level of responsibility to keep the conversation honest and the participants accountable if we are going to make the result of these situations productive.

There's going to be a large contingent of people and media who will attempt to paint every one of these events as "libruls" or "blacks" crying wolf, and they will have differing levels of success every time. I'm unable to imagine the person who is on the fence about modern social/racial equality, ready to be pushed over to one side or the other.

“The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses.”

― Malcolm X

There's going to be a large contingent of people and media who will attempt to paint every one of these events as "libruls" or "blacks" crying wolf, and they will have differing levels of success every time. I'm unable to imagine the person who is on the fence about modern social/racial equality, ready to be pushed over to one side or the other.

Seems to me there's a large contingent, especially the media, that will attempt to paint every one of these events as legitimate as well. The modern day agenda driven media, regardless of which agenda, does a disservice to this country when the media's job should be to present facts backed up by evidence, so people can be exposed when they are misleading people in an effort to further an agenda. The media tries to make big stories out of rumors and accusations that if they were left to just stand on the facts wouldn't be near as big stories.

Back