• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Moab UT, Arches/Canyonlands/Grand Canyon/Monument National Park

Unless you plan to hike the Tetons really well I don't think you need to give yourself quite that much time there. I'd personally give a day or two back to Utah.

6 days is too many for all of Yellowstone and Tetons? I obviously know nada because it's my firs time there, but I have been hearing that Yellowstone is a month of travel alone if you want to see a lot. Also, it's worth mentioning that we do hike and bike long distances with our son, who is 6-7 on this trip. He and I regularly go run 4-5 miles on the trails without taking a break, so we did plan to take some longer and more remote hikes.

I don't know what you tried to do in SLC but there are a million things you could do outdoors within 45 minutes of downtown, in addition to the better than expected bar and restaurant scene.

SLC voted one of the Top 10 places to live in April Men's Journal. Very subjective, and I'm sure SLC is not a rockin nightlife kind of place, but the outdoor opportunities must be great.

6 days is too many for all of Yellowstone and Tetons? I obviously know nada because it's my firs time there, but I have been hearing that Yellowstone is a month of travel alone if you want to see a lot. Also, it's worth mentioning that we do hike and bike long distances with our son, who is 6-7 on this trip. He and I regularly go run 4-5 miles on the trails without taking a break, so we did plan to take some longer and more remote hikes.

do yellowstone first, it's flatter and will help you acclimate if you are doing any real mountains in tetons. Grand Canyon of Yellowstone has one relatively short but very steep hike, I am trying to recall the trail name

do yellowstone first, it's flatter and will help you acclimate if you are doing any real mountains in tetons. Grand Canyon of Yellowstone has one relatively short but very steep hike, I am trying to recall the trail name

Too late to change that direction. We've got lodges/etc booked and did that months ago in order to get them.

TSY and I were able to land a permit to hike the 16 mi Virgin Narrows from the top down at Zion. Has anyone managed to do it in one day or is it best done broken up over 2 days?

One day is doable but not exhausting even in good shape because you're hiking in ankle high water. I would recommend hiking bottom up and doubling up with Angel's Landing if the plan is to only spend a single night.

Doing narrows top down in one day this fall, but it's going to be hellish. On the other hand, day hiking longer is often easier than overnighting with shorter hikes, due to all of the additional weight you have to carry.

Was not overly impressed with Zion. We couldn't hike the Narrows due to rain, and the Angels Landing trail was only accessible by shuttle and it was stupid packed yesterday. We spent half the day there, going to the Canyon Overlook which was still pretty awesome.

We left and made to Bryce by early afternoon. Set up camp and started exploring, in the snow. Dropped down to 26 last night. Cold, but not unbearable.

Just arrived in Moab, to rain....

Was not overly impressed with Zion. We couldn't hike the Narrows due to rain, and the Angels Landing trail was only accessible by shuttle and it was stupid packed yesterday. We spent half the day there, going to the Canyon Overlook which was still pretty awesome.

We left and made to Bryce by early afternoon. Set up camp and started exploring, in the snow. Dropped down to 26 last night. Cold, but not unbearable.

Just arrived in Moab, to rain....

Tough time of year in an El Niño pattern transitioning to La Niña. We had a wicked hail storm in Denver today. My drunk ass went scrambling to move shit out damage path.

Tough time of year in an El Niño pattern transitioning to La Niña. We had a wicked hail storm in Denver today. My drunk ass went scrambling to move shit out damage path.

What part of town? Things were fine in my hood until 2 pm or so, then we went out and drove the Loveland Pass and now back in Denver and it's ok where we are.

I'm an archeologist but you have to go to Mesa Verde if you are ever in Colorado. Just saying.

Thinking about including a day or two at the Grand Canyon in my drive across the country. I have no idea about anything out there. Where should I stay?

Will you be traveling north or south of the canyon? The North rim is 1000 ft higher and more remote. We went to Grand Canyon National Park, and it was very overcrowded.

If you have the option, I'd suggest going to Canyonlands/Arches in Moab instead. Canyonlands is still the same canyon with similar views, except there are two rivers rather than one.

Will you be traveling north or south of the canyon? The North rim is 1000 ft higher and more remote. We went to Grand Canyon National Park, and it was very overcrowded.

If you have the option, I'd suggest going to Canyonlands/Arches in Moab instead. Canyonlands is still the same canyon with similar views, except there are two rivers rather than one.

Yeah I would like to do Moab one day but I'm going from Austin to LA, so it's pretty far out of the way on this trip

There is a little town on the south rim. its touristy but you are right there Worth staying for a night, there are a range of price options depending on how close to the actual canyon. Austin-LA is clearly south rim unless you want to drive a lot extra. Either way, book as far ahead of time as you can, especially if you decide to go north.

Back