• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Modem/router buying advice

Any thoughts on why our TWC cable modem drops coverage 4 to 5 times days? We just reboot it and it works but a its a massive PITA. Router is new so thinking it has to be the cable modem itself.

Because the modem they rent you is a POS built from about $2 worth of parts. Buy your own modem and that issue will very likely go away. I think you can pick up the nicer Motorola's for about $50-60 now. In the 1.5 years I've had it, I think I've had one dropped connection and it was because a tech accidentally unhooked our house while adding new service to a neighbor...i.e. it wasn't a hardware/modem issue.

You might also want to consider inspecting your connection points from the utility pole, to your house, to the modem. Believe it or not, cable techs don't always do a high quality job installing your cable.

And my UVerse internet never drops.

Because the modem they rent you is a POS built from about $2 worth of parts. Buy your own modem and that issue will very likely go away. I think you can pick up the nicer Motorola's for about $50-60 now. In the 1.5 years I've had it, I think I've had one dropped connection and it was because a tech accidentally unhooked our house while adding new service to a neighbor...i.e. it wasn't a hardware/modem issue.

Yeah, it's a little more than 50-60 here, but this modem was the way to go when I checked a few months ago if you have TWC (and don't need digital voice)..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AJHDZSI?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=as2

Our UVerse fucked up 2-3 times in the first month we had it and a tech came out and checked everything and replaced our modem. No issues since then at all.

I have U-Verse and like it pretty good. My only complaint is the wifi extender I bought drops every few days. All I do is unplug it and plug it back in and it re-connects just fine but it is becoming a pain in the ass. As of yet, I have had no problems with the U-Verse provided modem/router combo.

We had our own Motorola modem and still had this issue,fwiw. It might be the cable but honestly we were just ready to switch.

So not knowing much about this I have TWC for internet and have an Arris TM602G that came with the install. We've had it awhile and it's $6 a month to lease. Am I correct in assuming the modem does not have anything to do with speed but may contribute to the service dropping from time to time. Would buying an new/better one increase speed at all? We have a Netgear wndr3700 router.

Any thoughts on why our TWC cable modem drops coverage 4 to 5 times days? We just reboot it and it works but a its a massive PITA. Router is new so thinking it has to be the cable modem itself.

Take the modem back to TWC and swap it out. Likely defective.

Yep, the issue he described is why we are switching (plus price)

How on earth are you getting any sort of decent streaming out of DSL?

I've got a Netgear Dual band router and a couple range extenders setup in the house to ensure the best possible signal at the media server in the living and upstairs. Our router cost less than $100 and works great.

So not knowing much about this I have TWC for internet and have an Arris TM602G that came with the install. We've had it awhile and it's $6 a month to lease. Am I correct in assuming the modem does not have anything to do with speed but may contribute to the service dropping from time to time. Would buying an new/better one increase speed at all? We have a Netgear wndr3700 router.

You're assumption is correct. The speed is initially dictated by your cable company (i.e you pay more you get faster service) and then is altered by network factors to slower speed. New modem may help with drop outs.

I mean as far as consistency and coverage go. When my fam was on the provided U-Verse combination modem/router that thing was terrrrible. Dropped out all the time, didn't reach half the house, etc.

You're really better off in the long run having a modem and router separate from one another so you don't have a single point of failure, though I will admit I'm not sure what AT&T's stance on having your own modem is (I think they're probably still strongly against it, at least with U-Verse).

We just switched to Uverse and they installed the combo modem/router. I have been really pleased with it as it reaches the whole house, whereas with my old setup I had to have a repeater to get full coverage. The tech said something about putting in "the most powerful router we have" or something like that so maybe they're rolling out updated equipment. It's b/g/n.

Where are you? We're moving from Greensboro to Salisbury and changing from ATT Uverse to Fibrant, so I have an ATT router/modem if you want it.

I have Uverse and the router/modem belongs to ATT...don't you have to return when leaving them?

FWIW, their router does a great job....never had a problem.

I have Uverse and the router/modem belongs to ATT...don't you have to return when leaving them?

FWIW, their router does a great job....never had a problem.
We bought when we signed up (weren't given a choice) and they confirmed when we cancelled that we don't need to return it.

For Triad peeps, if you can get Northstate fiber, DO IT. I have an ethernet jack on my wall. I plug in the wireless router of my choice and go. It's fantastic.

Also, I'm paying something absurd like $35 for 80/30.

GwTaK7j.png

Last edited:
How on earth are you getting any sort of decent streaming out of DSL?

I've got a Netgear Dual band router and a couple range extenders setup in the house to ensure the best possible signal at the media server in the living and upstairs. Our router cost less than $100 and works great.
Time will tell.

Bump.

My router/modem combo is going on 3 years old. Is it time to update?

If so, I would appreciate any recommendations. Should I split modem and router? I stream a lot of stuff via Chromecast, but I am not a gamer (if any of this information matters). I would like to stay under $100 if possible. I appreciate any help in advance.

Paying for 100 Mbps

Test Results:
Wifi: 39.05
Ether: 62.83

Last edited:
Probably doesn't have anything to do with your router. I'm using one that's 9 years old.

Back