• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

More press for the Deacs

Hondo

Reaction score
From ESPN....

There are a few other sneaky "identity" games Saturday too. Is Wake Forest really an ACC contender? The Demon Deacons get Virginia Tech at home. Coach Jim Grobe's team is already 3-0 in the ACC for the first time. A 4-0 start with wins over Florida State and the Hokies would stamp Wake Forest as legit in the conference.

and....

5. Will Wake Forest upset another nationally ranked opponent? The Demon Deacons are 4-1 (3-0 ACC), their best start in conference play since joining the ACC in 1953. Demon Deacons QB Tanner Smith was the difference in last week's 35-30 upset of then-No. 23 Florida State, completing 21 of 35 passes for 233 yards with three touchdowns. Wake Forest's defense has been really stingy against the run, allowing only 102 yards per game, but it will have its hands full trying to slow down Hokies tailback David Wilson.

:thumbsup::wiggle::woot::golfclap:

Tanner Smith is such a STUD.

what is so hard about getting the names of players right? this is a person's job... i takes one google search to get it right. people who cover sports at the national level amaze me either their incompetence.

CBS chimes in....

Wake Forest vs. Virginia Tech (-7 1/2) - Saturday, 6:30pm
Man - I haven't seen a whole lot of Wake Forest this season, but I have seen enough from Virginia Tech to be a bit leery about giving up over a touchdown on the road. I'm not sure if the Deacons knock off another ACC favorite this weekend, but I think they can keep it close. Pick: Wake Forest

Woman - "Wake Forest has quietly laid down four impressive wins in a row, and is 3-0 in the ACC. Meanwhile, Virginia Tech,1-1 in the ACC, was last seen playing for its life against NFL farm club the Hurricanes. Upset alert: The Hokies aren't going to see Wake Forest coming. (For the sake of illustration, let's say Virginia Tech is the TV news producer and Wake Forest is the turkey.)" Pick: Wake Forest

Machine - Sorry, Wake Forest, but The Machine does not believe in Cinderella. Virginia Tech 48-10. Pick: Virginia Tech

:squint::willynilly:

And from Grantland:

2. No. 19 Virginia Tech at Wake Forest. Whoa, whoa, whoa. Tech's favored by seven? On the road? Against a team as hot as Wake? When Clemson beat Tech in Blacksburg, they stuffed the line (allowing just 3.3 yards per carry on 40 rushes) and forced the Hokies to pass. The Hokies failed, and it became a bad 23-3 loss. By the numbers, Wake Forest actually has a better rushing defense than Clemson (allowing just 102 yards per game), so there's no reason it can't employ the same exact strategy. If that's the case, why do we expect the Hokies to rescue themselves with the passing game on the road when they couldn't at home? Has Logan Thomas magically improved from the guy who's thrown five picks along with his seven touchdowns? Jump on this upset with both feet.

Man - I haven't seen a whole lot of Wake Forest this season, but I have seen enough from Virginia Tech to be a bit leery about giving up over a touchdown on the road. I'm not sure if the Deacons knock off another ACC favorite this weekend, but I think they can keep it close. Pick: Wake Forest

Woman - "Wake Forest has quietly laid down four impressive wins in a row, and is 3-0 in the ACC. Meanwhile, Virginia Tech,1-1 in the ACC, was last seen playing for its life against NFL farm club the Hurricanes. Upset alert: The Hokies aren't going to see Wake Forest coming. (For the sake of illustration, let's say Virginia Tech is the TV news producer and Wake Forest is the turkey.)" Pick: Wake Forest

Machine - Sorry, Wake Forest, but The Machine does not believe in Cinderella. Virginia Tech 48-10. Pick: Virginia Tech

LOL at 48-10!!! No way we score less than 21, MINIMUM. No way they put up more than 35.

It has been a while since DA U could be labeled as an NFL farm club. Or maybe they are, but they are terrible.

We will assuredly score more than 10 points. Whether we score more than they do remains to be seen

And from Grantland:

2. No. 19 Virginia Tech at Wake Forest. Whoa, whoa, whoa. Tech's favored by seven? On the road? Against a team as hot as Wake? When Clemson beat Tech in Blacksburg, they stuffed the line (allowing just 3.3 yards per carry on 40 rushes) and forced the Hokies to pass. The Hokies failed, and it became a bad 23-3 loss. By the numbers, Wake Forest actually has a better rushing defense than Clemson (allowing just 102 yards per game), so there's no reason it can't employ the same exact strategy. If that's the case, why do we expect the Hokies to rescue themselves with the passing game on the road when they couldn't at home? Has Logan Thomas magically improved from the guy who's thrown five picks along with his seven touchdowns? Jump on this upset with both feet.

We're jumping............

Their defense is shreaded by injuries currently. Keep the ball away from Hosley and Wilson, and we win this game.

Back