• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

More racial coding by Romney

If you can't tell the difference between a mistake and a planned speech, there's really nothing that can be discussed with you.

I don't think it helps the case of calling out racist rhetoric to give Biden a pass for that... It was a mistake, sure, but it was just as conscious as the Romney campaign's/Republican party's racialized rhetoric against Obama, IMO.

You're either responding to another thread (where folks have defended Biden) or you're having trouble reading the criticism of Biden on this thread.

Criticism from you. I was more responding to W&B and others.

Strick. he made a mistake. It wasn't intentional. If it was intentional and planned (like Romney's) then he should be called out.

Biden got the first of the quote right and last part wrong. He should say,"I'm sorry I screwed up the quote."

Romney did it intentionally and has done so on multiple occasions.

I just hate it when people get all riled up about perceived slights. when you take a perceived slight and elevate it to a fact without discussion it delegitimizes the real slights that happen.

Criticism from you. I was more responding to W&B and others.

I think W&B and others would be more willing to call Biden on his mistake if the RW posters would be a bit less absurd in denying that Romney is anything but a choirboy. Just my two cents... For the record, I think Wrangor's take on this thread is one of the more honest assessments of Romney (the candidate as a person) that I've seen on here.

I think W&B and others would be more willing to call Biden on his mistake if the RW posters would be a bit less absurd in denying that Romney is anything but a choirboy. Just my two cents... For the record, I think Wrangor's take on this thread is one of the more honest assessments of Romney (the candidate as a person) that I've seen on here.

Why should our opinion of Romney make W&B and others more or less likely to call out Biden? If they were being honest, shouldn't they call him out regardless?

Strick. he made a mistake. It wasn't intentional. If it was intentional and planned (like Romney's) then he should be called out.

Biden got the first of the quote right and last part wrong. He should say,"I'm sorry I screwed up the quote."

Sure, but Biden is known for having diarrhea of the mouth at times and saying really inappropriate things. Even if he didn't mean to say it, that stupid Southern accent sealed the deal on what was a moment in absurdly bad taste.

Romney probably isn't doing it intentionally. Most people have no idea that they're being racist/doing racist things and I think it's a bit cynical to suggest that Romney is doing it with any more or less intentionality than Biden was in VA.

I just hate it when people get all riled up about perceived slights. when you take a perceived slight and elevate it to a fact without discussion it delegitimizes the real slights that happen.

You don't accept or believe that "Angry black man" is a stereotype.

You agree about the foriegn and other slights. This is simply another instance of the same effort.

Well, the Romney 'angry' angle is clearly a planned line of attack. They unveiled that strategy fairly clearly, and it was doubled down on and written in prepared remarks by the candidate(s). Hard to deny that they tested it and rolled it out, along with exhausted and all that.

Biden was talking off the cuff and thought he came up with something clever and folksy and some conservative blogger spun it up into a racial thing. The black folks in attendance laughed when he said it, although it was a little off. And he wasn't talking about Romney, he was talking about the constituents.

how was that, TR? buying it? :thumbsup:

Why should our opinion of Romney make W&B and others more or less likely to call out Biden? If they were being honest, shouldn't they call him out regardless?

That's a solid point, but I'll throw that question back at'cha:

If y'all were being honest, then shouldn't y'all call Mitt out regardless? On anything?

Well, the Romney 'angry' angle is clearly a planned line of attack. They unveiled that strategy fairly clearly, and it was doubled down on and written in prepared remarks by the candidate(s). Hard to deny that they tested it and rolled it out, along with exhausted and all that.

Biden was talking off the cuff and thought he came up with something clever and folksy and some conservative blogger spun it up into a racial thing. The black folks in attendance laughed when he said it, although it was a little off. And he wasn't talking about Romney, he was talking about the constituents.

I'm really sick and tired of this "Biden's just talking off-the-cuff" nonsense. He shouldn't have said it and Democrats shouldn't defend it. Biden needs to act his age, stop posing/trying so hard, and focus on getting his boss re-elected. Dude should not be a distraction in any capacity. Again, just my two cents.

I believe Romney is trying to paint Obama as angry. Doing so in his opinion will bring a lack of distrust to Obama. I don't think it is a racist attempt. Basically if Romney tries to paint Obama in a negative light it could be taken in some way as related to a racist slight because racist people pretty much anyone personality trait and turn it into a negative. That is why they are racist.

Passionate? Angry Black Man
Wealthy? Uppity
Laid Back? Lazy Negro
Polite? Uncle Tom

There is no personality characteristic that cannot be turned into a racist stereotype. This thread sucks...I am out of here. So much discussion about something that is so ridiculously insignificant. peace

Sure, but Biden is known for having diarrhea of the mouth at times and saying really inappropriate things. Even if he didn't mean to say it, that stupid Southern accent sealed the deal on what was a moment in absurdly bad taste.

Romney probably isn't doing it intentionally. Most people have no idea that they're being racist/doing racist things and I think it's a bit cynical to suggest that Romney is doing it with any more or less intentionality than Biden was in VA.

He is using it in his stump speeches. You can't get any more intentional than that.

I'm really sick and tired of this "Biden's just talking off-the-cuff" nonsense. He shouldn't have said it and Democrats shouldn't defend it. Biden needs to act his age, stop posing/trying so hard, and focus on getting his boss re-elected. Dude should not be a distraction in any capacity. Again, just my two cents.

point taken. The dude is a little goofy and tried to curry favor with some black folks and got a litle carried away. I don't think he is a racist, though. I don't think Romney is a racist either, but he wants some racists to vote for him. He's pretty much got the racist vote sewn up, but there might be some fence-riding racists who need a little push. Every vote counts!

Implying that Republicans want to put black people back into slavery is just an unintentional mistake? Are you kidding? A huge part of the Democratic strategy is to create fear in minority groups. It is absolutely part of an ongoing narrative.

Well, when you call the guy who happens to be the first black president "angry," and it fits into the past four years of conservative pundits, politicians, and general oppositional rhetoric doing the same (despite the fact that Obama is a pretty agreeable personality in the scheme of things...vs. say John McCain, Howard Dean, or John Kerry) then it seems like your perceived slight doesn't really need a whole lot of elevating and just might be legitimate.

Not really. They are calling him angry because he has been attacking Romney personally. They are trying to eat away at his likability. Just because "angry black man" is a stereotype, that doesn't mean you can't ever call a black man angry.

Also, the "off the cuff" defense is ridiculous. If Romney or Ryan called Obama the N word off the cuff, the world would meltdown, and everyone would talk about how this off the cuff comment showed insight into their true character and beliefs. But of course, with Biden, it's just crazy Uncle Joe saying crazy things. It doesn't reveal anything about how he actually thinks.

I believe Romney is trying to paint Obama as angry. Doing so in his opinion will bring a lack of distrust to Obama. I don't think it is a racist attempt. Basically if Romney tries to paint Obama in a negative light it could be taken in some way as related to a racist slight because racist people pretty much anyone personality trait and turn it into a negative. That is why they are racist.

Wealthy? Uppity
Laid Back? Lazy Negro
Polite? Uncle Tom

There is no personality characteristic that cannot be turned into a racist stereotype. This thread sucks...I am out of here. So much discussion about something that is so ridiculously insignificant. peace

When you and your campaign have used these stereotypes on multiple planned occasions and this is a stump speech, the logical belief is that this is a continuation.

Wealthy? Uppity
Laid Back? Lazy Negro
Polite? Uncle Tom

I guess that you don't remember "the food stamp president" debacle. Peace, Wrangz.

Back