• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

More voter suppression laws to be voted on in MT and OH

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
Not since the Jim Crow days in the South has voting been so under attack.

The GOP does not want people to be able vote easily. They are trying to rig elections by keeping people from voting.

How anyone can support such intentionally un-American actions is beyond me.

Here's OH

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/ohio-readies-new-wave-strict-voting-laws

"The Ohio House could vote as soon as Wednesday on two GOP-backed bills. One would cut early voting from 35 to 28 or 29 days. More importantly, it would end the so-called “Golden Week” period when Ohioans can register and vote on the same day—a key way to bring new voters into the process. The other bill would put limits on the state’s successful absentee ballot program, forcing election officials to get approval from lawmakers before mailing out absentee ballots. Both bills are scheduled for hearings Tuesday, and have already passed the Senate.

A third bill scheduled for a Tuesday hearing and already passed by the Senate would make it harder for provisional ballots to be counted—though a full vote on that measure isn’t expected this week."

This makes voting harder and the counting of votes more arbitrary.

Why in the fuck do you need 35 days to early vote in Ohio? And now it's only 28 days? Oh the outrage and suppression!

It should be a week max. We didn't used to need it at all.

We also didn't used to not be racist. I mean we're still racist. But we used to to too
/MitchHedberg

Why in the fuck do you need 35 days to early vote in Ohio? And now it's only 28 days? Oh the outrage and suppression!

Why the fuck not? Why not 40 days? What is the case for reducing voting opportunity? I'm not following

The blind allegiance you have to the right is dumb. Republicans are making it harder to vote and your defense is "why not?" :rulz:

"Responsible people who really care would find a way whenever and wherever we tell them to vote."

In all honesty, 4 weeks is a really long time to have to vote. I don't really see the need to reduce the time, but I also don't see the need to give someone 4 weeks. I mean why not 14 weeks? Is it really that difficult to mail in a vote within a 4 week time period? Sorry but this is most certainly a 'meh' moment. You ONLY have 29 days to put something in the mail instead of 35...the humanity!

The blind allegiance you have to the right is dumb. Republicans are making it harder to vote and your defense is "why not?" :rulz:

It's a fair question. Why not 50 days? Or 100?

At what point have there been enough days given to ensure nobody is disenfranchised? Is that the goal?

At what point does the cost of keeping the polls open the extra days outweigh the return?

I for one like the early voting period and think it's done great things for voter turnout in this country. That said, there is a reasonable amount of time to have them open early. One week is took short and 5 weeks is definitely too long. I think 2 weeks is an appropriate amount of time.

It's a fair question. Why not 50 days? Or 100?

At what point have there been enough days given to ensure nobody is disenfranchised? Is that the goal?

At what point does the cost of keeping the polls open the extra days outweigh the return?

I for one like the early voting period and think it's done great things for voter turnout in this country. That said, there is a reasonable amount of time to have them open early. One week is took short and 5 weeks is definitely too long. I think 2 weeks is an appropriate amount of time.

RACIST!!!!!!!!

Early voting was/is not broken. This is pointless. What the fuck is wrong with you people?

Govern to fix broken shit.

We also didn't used to not be racist. I mean we're still racist. But we used to to too
/MitchHedberg

Oh I see. So the assumption behind early voting is that black people need 31 days to vote and white people only need 1 day. That's not a racist assumption at all.

Why the fuck not? Why not 40 days? What is the case for reducing voting opportunity? I'm not following

OK, how's this? 2 of the last 3 Presidential debates (and the 1 VP debate) were less than 25 days before the 2012 election. The first was 34 days prior.

A lot of shit can happen to change the dynamics of a race in a month.

There are voter turnout problems due to voter apathy. It has nothing to do with early voting. People simply don't care. That's why Democrats want a month to dig up all the homeless and out-to-lunch folks they can find and wheel them to the polls. It's not rocket science. That's why the Pubs don't like it. If they had access to all the same homeless and out-to-lunch people networks, they'd probably be cool with it too.

Bottom line: Shaving days off early voting doesn't deprive anybody of the right to vote.

Pubs don't like it because it helps get AMERICAN CITIZENS out to vote.

Nice summary.

Back