• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Most Yards EVER in A Game

The questions about Ruggerio were legitimate. He has changed his ways, started to trust Wolford and got aggressive in attacking defenses. All to his credit. We were very wrong to think he couldn't do it, right to question what we saw earlier this year. Whatever happened his transformation is undeniable and somewhat startling.

Ha ha - as I typed that, I wondered how long it would take for someone to basically say "Ruggerio finally did what we have been calling for." To me that improved offense stems from (in no particular order):

- Improved running attack. It's amazing how less "conservative" our offense is when we actually pick up first downs on 3rd down runs. Or better yet on 4th downs.

- Improved play by WRs (especially Washington) and getting Serigne more involved in the passing attack. I have no idea if the latter is more from scheme or more from Wolford decisions, but Serigne has become a big weapon again, especially on third down and in the red zone. It also seems like our WRs (not named Dortch) are finally making some key plays.

- More throws in the middle of the field. Again, it is nice to see Serigne re-appear, and Washington is starting to become a legit big WR that can go over the middle.

- More efficiency from Wolford in the pass game - especially on 3rd downs. Early in the season, it seemed that Wolford was quick to just chuck it down the field, instead of just trying to pick up the first down. Now we are seeing more higher percentage shorter throws. Again, it's hard to tell if that is a scheme thing or just Wolford decisions.

- More passing on RPOs. Wolford has been awesome on the run/pass options the last few games. I honestly don't remember a pass out of that scenario before the App St game (maybe?). Each week, it seems that Wolford is getting better and better at making that read and play.

- Significantly improved OL play. Wolford seems so much more settled now that he is getting some time to throw, and defenses have to be more on their heels now that we can big up yardage on both running and passing plays.

So you just think he changed his entire offensive philosophy in the course of a month? Not that things like personnel, injuries, matchups, or gameplan might have limited our playbook or informed our strategy? Your point about trusting the offense to execute might be valid, but that's something that happens over time and with practice.

In other words, Ruggerio didn't read the boards and realize the error of his ways.

I think clawson told ruggerio to get his act together after the GT game, or to start looking.

I think clawson told ruggerio to get his act together after the GT game, or to start looking.

What exactly do you think he said? "Start calling better plays!" Only call plays that work! "Throw to retrievers not named Dortch"!

We sped up our tempo.

We stopped doing the ridiculous Flashdance running in place thing with the RB, as we don't have time for that now that we are playing so fast. Key is FSU...turnovers. Not a lot of those anymore.

Good point, Complacent.

A few yards that Colburn didn't get were pretty important. He realized he wasn't going to score the TD right before the half, so did the hook slide with two seconds left in the half to allow Weaver to kick the FG as time expired. How many RBs would have run the five or so yards Colburn could have gotten, and had the clock expire, rather than stop with the hook slide and allow another play with the two seconds remaining? Very heads up play by Colburn.

A few yards that Colburn didn't get were pretty important. He realized he wasn't going to score the TD right before the half, so did the hook slide with two seconds left in the half to allow Weaver to kick the FG as time expired. How many RBs would have run the five or so yards Colburn could have gotten, and had the clock expire, rather than stop with the hook slide and allow another play with the two seconds remaining? Very heads up play by Colburn.

When I saw the replay where he actually looked up to quickly look at the game clock and then slide? So Boss...

The 66 points in 1975 was a mystery. Not a high scoring offense that year and only won 3 games. It was on the road at UVA. The game wasn’t on television that I remember.

I would be interested in knowing if anyone on the boards actually saw the game. It was likely a small contingent of Wake fans. We might be lucky to hear from anyone other than a person on the team or a cheerleader who was there. 😎

Last edited:
The 66 points in 1975 was a mystery. Not a high scoring offense that year and only won 3 games. It was on the road at UVA. The game wasn’t on television that I remember.

I would be interested in knowing if anyone on the boards actually saw the game. It was likely a small contingent of Wake fans. We might be lucky to hear from anyone other than a person on the team or a cheerleader who was there. ��

Didn't see it, but remember hearing it was 50-0 at halftime. Couldn't believe it.
The UVA team had given up on their coach (Sonny Randle?) and just didn't play in the first half to send a message.
Back then, when we were a Bottom 10 team, this was really something.

Virginia gave up over 60 points to a Southern Conference ECU team just a couple of weeks later

To give you an idea of how bad the ACC football was in the mid-70s East Carolina finished third in the Southern Conference and went two and one against the ACC

Didn't see it, but remember hearing it was 50-0 at halftime. Couldn't believe it.
The UVA team had given up on their coach (Sonny Randle?) and just didn't play in the first half to send a message.
Back then, when we were a Bottom 10 team, this was really something.

Yes, it was Sonny Randle. Even he says his UVA team quit on him (at least in the ECU game). They lost their last nine games that season. Maryland hung 62 on them in his last game of a 1-10 season . Their only win was a 1 point victory over VMI.

I was listening to the game while raking leaves. By the second quarter, I had started drinking and stopped raking. By the end of the game, I was drunk, stoned and pretty happy.

BTW, Randle was the head coach at ECU before leaving for UVA.

Also missing Byrd and Carney in run game. Colburn was lights out but would've been nice to spell him in short yardage w/ Carney and toss in a few sweeps to Arkeem.....

I believe Clawson said that Matt didn't miss a snap, which given the assignments in our offense is absolutely incredible. What a year Matt Colburn has had, and a great, great kid to boot.

I was there and it appeared the UVA players wanted Randle gone and figured if they let us win big he would be fire. We had brought a half pint of bourbon in to toast each score and it was gone halfway through the first quarter. At the half it was 50-7 I think and when that went over the wire it had a parenthesis saying this is correct.

I would be interested in knowing if anyone on the boards actually saw the game. It was likely a small contingent of Wake fans. We might be lucky to hear from anyone other than a person on the team or a cheerleader who was there. ��

I bet BKF has this chronicled in his journal. Thanks Townie.

Mike and 71 - great stories
I'm sure you weren't the only guys celebrating the score with alcohol
Glad you could remember

Mike and 71 - great stories
I'm sure you weren't the only guys celebrating the score with alcohol
Glad you could remember

In the '60's when I was at Wake we drank before the game.

Back