• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mount Rushmore of College Football Announcers

‘Whoa Nelly!’
Then all the others.

"Bottoms!!!"

Gene is the best ever Radio Voice to me period. Of course I'm biased since I grew up listening to Gene call our football and basketball games, since relatively few games were on TV. Stan is as good a replacement as you could ask for, but there's only one Gene. Mac McDonald was good, but I think Stan is much better.

Gene is the best ever Radio Voice to me period. Of course I'm biased since I grew up listening to Gene call our football and basketball games, since relatively few games were on TV. Stan is as good a replacement as you could ask for, but there's only one Gene. Mac McDonald was good, but I think Stan is much better.

Gene was great. And anyone who ever list to him probably started yelling ‘bottoms!’ Whenever they saw a good shot being made.

‘Whoa Nelly’ and ‘Bottoms’. They don’t make ‘em like that anymore.

Verne Lundquist does not deserve to be on any Mount Rushmore lists unless it's on the list of most annoying announcers (and even there, I don't think he's one of the four worst that has ever called college football).

I don’t think this question lends itself to a Mount Rushmore answer. There’s Keith Jackson and then everyone else.

Agreed. I've been listening to college football since the 80s, and Keith Jackson is always the first announcer I think of when it comes to college football. Everybody else is competing for second place. I remember when ABC first got serious about college basketball in the late 80s they paired Jackson with Dick Vitale. Jackson clearly didn't want to be covering college basketball, and Vitale kept trying to pump him up for the games. It was an extremely odd pairing and didn't last very long, although it was unintentionally hilarious to listen to the two of them, as their styles were completely different. When it comes to college football, though, Jackson was king.

Back