• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Movies you must watch if they're on TV

Independence Day on TNT last night sucked me in until the speech.

Casablanca
Snatch
Pulp Fiction
Usual Suspects
Life of Brian
Silence of the Lambs
Manchurian Candidate (the original)
The In-Laws (the original)
The Graduate

So, my philosophy on this is it has to be movies you won't/don't own, otherwise I would just pop in the dvd/vhs/betamax/laser disc:

Hellboy
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Van Helsing
Sandlot
Liar, Liar / Cable Guy / Any Carrey movie that is not Dumb & Dumber or Ace Ventura 1
What a Woman Wants
How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days / Any Matthew McConaughy chick flick
Idiocracy
I Spy
The Last Samurai
Mission Impossibles

So, my philosophy on this is it has to be movies you won't/don't own, otherwise I would just pop in the dvd/vhs/betamax/laser disc:

Interesting. The thing for me at least is that I do own about half of my list of movies... the difference is that at 10:00 on a Saturday morning, I rarely think to myself "Man, I really want to watch Shooter right now" and put in the DVD, but if it's on TV? The start of my day gets pushed back until it's over.

Meet Joe Black
Half Baked
X Men First Class
Troy
Flatliners
The Dark Knight
The Breakfast Club

Edited to add:
The Princess Bride
The Matrix
American Psycho

Last edited:
Interesting. The thing for me at least is that I do own about half of my list of movies... the difference is that at 10:00 on a Saturday morning, I rarely think to myself "Man, I really want to watch Shooter right now" and put in the DVD, but if it's on TV? The start of my day gets pushed back until it's over.

Its seeing it on tv that does it. I mean, when I see star wars on tv, I will usually watch it, but what I do is go get the DVD and plop it in. I hate commercials - also it gives other excuses to have me do things during them. DVDs have no stops, and I can use the whole "Will do it when the movies over" thing, buys me a couple of hours.

Road House
Major League
Rocky 1-4
Caddyshack
Animal House
Shawshank
Tombstone
Lethal Weapon 1-4
Die Hard
Christmas Vacation

Summer Catch
Field of Dreams
The Natural
Kelly's Heroes
10 Things I Hate About You
Caddyshack
Something About Mary
Dumb and Dumber
Billy Madison
Inception
Faceoff
Mighty Ducks
MD2
Tombstone
Airforce 1
Saving Private Ryan
Rock N Rolla

ALMOST FORGOT

Crazy Stupid Love

center stage
sex and the city movie (E! gets me constantly)
27 dresses
10 things i hate about you
that thing you do

Back