• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Moving to Salisbury

If you have kids (which I think you do) Dan Nicholas Park is really cool. It has a little zoo, carousel, and train for like $1 each, plus lots of play areas. The tiger farm is just down the road too. Downtown Salisbury has some charm, but the area by 85 is a cesspool.

We went to the Salty Caper on a few dates way back when. The pizza and atmosphere was pretty good, but the place was tiny. http://www.saltycaper.com/

Know you and MrsRev, I'd also recommend The Farmhouse for breakfast on Saturday mornings. We were just there this past weekend. http://farmhouserestaurant.info/

Will you be living in the city proper or on the outskirts?

We went to the Salty Caper on a few dates way back when. The pizza and atmosphere was pretty good, but the place was tiny. http://www.saltycaper.com/

Know you and MrsRev, I'd also recommend The Farmhouse for breakfast on Saturday mornings. We were just there this past weekend. http://farmhouserestaurant.info/

Will you be living in the city proper or on the outskirts?

Thanks, we'll be sure to check those out. We don't know much about the area, but I think I'd like to live downtown (walkability, and close to church). We're more city folk, so I don't think we'll venture out much past town.

Thanks, we'll be sure to check those out. We don't know much about the area, but I think I'd like to live downtown (walkability, and close to church). We're more city folk, so I don't think we'll venture out much past town.

I'll get some info on the neighborhoods you want to steer clear of.

Its certainly no Greensboro, but there are some places you definitely want to avoid more than others.

Salisbury is awesome. Centrally located town (w/r/to the rest of the State) and very close to the Yadkin River. The place has a lot of character, especially if you like nineteenth century history. Like a lot of mid sized NC towns, they are working to attract and retain younger folks, but I think it would be awesome to be able to raise a family in a smaller community within striking distance of Charlotte destinations.

I would assume you'd want to avoid all of Salisbury. ;)

No, Greensboro is to be avoided at all costs. Is there any way we could cede it to France as some part of a delayed kicker from the Armistice after the Seven Years War? I mean, any reason would be a fine one.

No, Greensboro is to be avoided at all costs. Is there any way we could cede it to France as some part of a delayed kicker from the Armistice after the Seven Years War? I mean, any reason would be a fine one.

Hey now. Nothing wrong with the Boro. We're trying to convince Stone Brewing to locate their East Coast brewery and distribution hub here and then all y'all will be jealous.

ETA: although I must say, if we were owned by France, maybe Piedmont Triad International Airport would get some, you know, actual international flights...

The Lazy Five Ranch is just a few miles a way, my favorite field trip with the young Kiddos.

Hey now. Nothing wrong with the Boro. We're trying to convince Stone Brewing to locate their East Coast brewery and distribution hub here and then all y'all will be jealous.

ETA: although I must say, if we were owned by France, maybe Piedmont Triad International Airport would get some, you know, actual international flights...

Throwing shade on Greensboro is one of the many perks to being a native Winstonian.

I forgot how much southerners care about the differences in towns that are all pretty much the same

I remember a few years ago I was trying to reconnect with an old high school chickadee and she was telling me about how she had moved away to Cornelius (from Mooresville, all of maybe 15 minutes with traffic) but found the distance too far from the family and had recently moved back

yeah, well, I grew up on a tobacco farm in a backwards area of the state. They both seem like "the big city" to me.

The Cold War between Winston and Greensboro is an underrated bit of good clean fun. I have a few friends of mine from the Gate City who enjoy coming across a news piece that ranks Winston "worst of ______" and I like to remind them that Greensboro is "Charlotte's traffic with Williamston's entertainment district."

Almost every town of any significance in the southeast is trying to lure that Stone Brewery.

Back