• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MTOW, Latest from Dan

I've been saying this all season - our halfcourt offense sucks. And to me it is just as much schematic as it is talent/ability. We constantly have the wrong guys taking shots from the wrong part of the court (e.g. Moto and Rountree launching threes), while having a devil of a time getting CJ, McKie, and Chase open looks. How many times this year has CJ or Travis gone without attempting a FG for at least a 10 minute stretch? Or how many times does Thomas go 5 plus minutes without a touch in the post? And then more often than not, our "offense" devolves into 3 or 4 guys just standing around watching one guy dribble for 5-10 seconds before unsuccesfully trying to go one on three, which usually results in a strip, block, charge, or wild shot that doesn't even hit the rim.

But this has been true of our offense for many many years in the half court. We used to say it was "stand around for 30 seconds, then watch Ish manufacture something." We have not run any offense going back to Skip, Dino & now Bz. We were precise when we had CP3, JGray & Taron out there together but that was the only time then. Also when we had Teague running the show while Ish was hurt. We were smoking with he & JJ and that bunch, but then bogged down when we had to incorporate Ish back into everything. Unless we are running the last 8 years, there is no known offense.

We were smoking with he & JJ and that bunch, but now I'm just going to repeat a dumbass lie for the 400th time because I prefer to remember my own personal version of history instead of the one where actual things happened.

Fixed.

But this has been true of our offense for many many years in the half court. We used to say it was "stand around for 30 seconds, then watch Ish manufacture something." We have not run any offense going back to Skip, Dino & now Bz. We were precise when we had CP3, JGray & Taron out there together but that was the only time then. Also when we had Teague running the show while Ish was hurt. We were smoking with he & JJ and that bunch, but then bogged down when we had to incorporate Ish back into everything. Unless we are running the last 8 years, there is no known offense.

Reff isn't lying with this post. It's pretty accurate WRT to offense. Before Ish and after Taron, it was stand around until CP3 does something.

I was reading Deadspin's breakdown of the papers presented at the Sloan conference and two of them stood out to me - one was about how important acceleration and cutting were and the second was about how going for offensive rebounds was more beneficial than getting back on defense. Our team does neither of these things.

I'd love to see Randolph get experience in athletic administration and be an AD here one day.

Speaking of greats working in the athletic department, what is Charlie Davis up to nowadays. I know he was let go from A&T awhile back.

ONE DAY?? How about freaking tomorrow. He would be ten times better than Wellman at this point as Chill would see things objectively instead of blinded by ego.

Skip and Dino won for the same reason Roy wins. You have superior talent you're going to win more games.

ONE DAY?? How about freaking tomorrow. He would be ten times better than Wellman at this point as Chill would see things objectively instead of blinded by ego.

Why do we think Childress would be a good AD?

Because when he was 22 he could hit relatively open 3-point shots when defenses collapsed on the greatest power forward to ever play the game of basketball. Seems pretty obvious to me.

Because when he was 22 he could hit relatively open 3-point shots when defenses collapsed on the greatest power forward to ever play the game of basketball. Seems pretty obvious to me.

Seriously? I have no idea if he would make a good AD, but Randolph was far more than just the beneficiary of Tim Duncan's leftovers.

Seriously? I have no idea if he would make a good AD, but Randolph was far more than just the beneficiary of Tim Duncan's leftovers.

Indeed. Chill was the man when he was surrounded by Trelonnie, Scooter, Tucker, Bluc, Rusty, and some monster named Rodney. Timmy was still swimmin' in da ocean, maaan.

Hadn't thought about it much but kinda surprised Mad Jones hasn't hit a 3-pointer all year.

Indeed. Chill was the man when he was surrounded by Trelonnie, Scooter, Tucker, Bluc, Rusty, and some monster named Rodney. Timmy was still swimmin' in da ocean, maaan.

Who's point are you arguing?

Must be pretty easy to coach if all you have to do is have CP3 with no planned offense to be the most efficient offense in the country.

- He knows sports, competition, etc very well...strikes me as someone who would be good at choosing coaches.
- Love of WFU.
- Love of winning.
- Instant connection to donors, boosters, etc...raising money would be no problem.
- Known around the league and around the nation in the basketball world.

I'm one who has argued vehemently against the idea of promoting Chill to head coach when it has been brought up. He may be an excellent coach someday, but I don't think he has the experience needed and it's a position that is very much sink/swim without any room to learn on the job at the ACC level. He needs to work his way up through the coaching ranks if he wants to coach Wake. But, I do feel like his experience as a professional athlete and as an AD employee at Wake the last few years would translate well to the jobs required of an AD: hiring/firing coaches, raising money, glad-handing donors, improving facilities, lobbying for Wake in the ACC/NCAA/etc, setting the overall direction/focus of our athletics programs.

- He knows sports, competition, etc very well...strikes me as someone who would be good at choosing coaches.
- Love of WFU.
- Love of winning.
- Instant connection to donors, boosters, etc...raising money would be no problem.
- Known around the league and around the nation in the basketball world.

I'm one who has argued vehemently against the idea of promoting Chill to head coach. He may be an excellent coach someday, but I don't think he has the experience needed and it's a position that is very much sink/swim without any room to learn on the job at the ACC level. But, I do feel like his experience as a professional athlete and as an AD employee at Wake would translate well to the jobs required of an AD: hiring/firing coaches, raising money, improving facilities, lobbying for Wake in the ACC/NCAA/etc, setting the overall direction/focus of our athletics programs.

Agreed. Not head coach, but AD!

Back