• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MTOW: Shows You How Much I Know

I'll be at WP Saturday to see this stir it up stuff.

Yep, Grobe doesn't get it. It's all an effort problem. Uh-huh.

Grobe just seems to be following Bz's job security playbook on "we're a great team in practice." I guess we'll soon learn that Saturday is the teams most demanding day academically.....

What exactly do you imagine Grobe's conversations with Lobo go like? Grobe says he talks with the assistant coaches like he's humping it up the mountain to talk to a guru. I'm thinking we need more of a top down approach like Jack Welch at GE. Light a fire under their ass and get results or fire them. That simple.

Dan is taking the gloves off.

No fan base should have to endure what the one at Wake has gone through these past four years.

That is strong! And I suspect Dan will hear about it. However, you would think that the more he publishes such comments the more the heat will mount. You would think. But, there appears to be an amazing degree of deafness and blindness at WF.

Still, Country Dan is speaking truth. Commendable.

Dan can kiss off that chicken lunch he's been enjoying. Tower leftovers.

WOW. He mentioned the seniors and Grobe, leaving the unspoken as the only answer to the question that was posed.

"What I never in a hundred years expected to see was a Jim Grobe team look as discombobulated, dazed and lethargic as the one that lost to Louisiana-Monroe 21-19 Saturday in front of a fast dwindling crowd that had dwindled to three or four thousand (at most) by the time Michael Campanaro's drop on the two-point conversion sealed the program's eighth loss in the last 11 games."

Two things:

First, this is one sentence. My 6th grade English teacher would have killed me for writing a run on sentence like this.

Second, where was Dan for the last several discombobulated, dazed and lethargic performances? Heck, he even wrote a column about the one against Vandy. Did he think that problem was magically solved?

Glad to see it in print that fans are fed up. If Dan is willing to publish it, it must be happening.

Dan is taking the gloves off.

That is strong! And I suspect Dan will hear about it. However, you would think that the more he publishes such comments the more the heat will mount. You would think. But, there appears to be an amazing degree of deafness and blindness at WF.

Still, Country Dan is speaking truth. Commendable.

I think the deafness and blindness is actually apathy. How ironic would it be if Wellman decided to fire Grobe after soundly endorsing his buddy after basketball season? Also - Dan has written critical pieces in the past . . . Ron ain't scared.

"What I never in a hundred years expected to see was a Jim Grobe team look as discombobulated, dazed and lethargic as the one that lost to Louisiana-Monroe 21-19 Saturday in front of a fast dwindling crowd that had dwindled to three or four thousand (at most) by the time Michael Campanaro's drop on the two-point conversion sealed the program's eighth loss in the last 11 games."

Two things:

First, this is one sentence. My 6th grade English teacher would have killed me for writing a run on sentence like this.

Second, where was Dan for the last several discombobulated, dazed and lethargic performances? Heck, he even wrote a column about the one against Vandy. Did he think that problem was magically solved?

Glad to see it in print that fans are fed up. If Dan is willing to publish it, it must be happening.

I've got one.

Third, when someone is supporting a position you hold, try to suppress the impulse to criticize that person over ancillary bullshit in favor of something more along the lines of "I agree." It's really not that hard to do.

WFU sports has a whole lot of problems. Dan is not one of them. We should be thrilled that he's writing what he's writing, given that he has a voice that cannot be ignored as just another internet malcontent.

Dan is one of the problems. He's another Wellman mouthpiece. He's worked for years on his end to stifle criticism. His "all is well" BS is one reason it has taken so long to have the obvious conversations about the decline of Wake football. I'm not going to celebrate people finally seeing the light unless it results it a critical and watchful eye to help make sure this doesn't happen again.

Dan is one of the problems. He's another Wellman mouthpiece. He's worked for years on his end to stifle criticism. His "all is well" BS is one reason it has taken so long to have the obvious conversations about the decline of Wake football. I'm not going to celebrate people finally seeing the light unless it results it a critical and watchful eye to help make sure this doesn't happen again.

Dan is a symptom, not the disease. Wellman runs Winston Salem like a little fiefdom. He's lucky that most Wake alum move out of town after graduating and those who stay become his sycophants. I don't blame Dan for not shitting where he eats since Wellman really is a master manipulator. Sadly, Ronald will never get truly called in public. He'll work another 5 years making 7 figures and control the message then retire. He has a steady cash stream from the Don Flows of the world plus the university is becoming more and more prestigious which removes what little pressure he might feel. Ron Wellman is a lucky SOB.

Yes, but I just saw a Wake Forest sports update that volleyball is 8-1, so Ron must be doing something right....Fuck you Ron, Fuck you.

I've got one.

Third, when someone is supporting a position you hold, try to suppress the impulse to criticize that person over ancillary bullshit in favor of something more along the lines of "I agree." It's really not that hard to do.

WFU sports has a whole lot of problems. Dan is not one of them. We should be thrilled that he's writing what he's writing, given that he has a voice that cannot be ignored as just another internet malcontent.

Why should we be thrilled? Ph, Numbers, and Lohengrin have been all over Grobo for the past couple of years, Ph for longer, and 90% of these boards told them to STFU and "be thrilled" to have Grobe. I'm sorry, but it's patronizing at this point to hear folks who have recently seen the light speak the truth as if it's a revelation. I'm genuinely thrilled that Dan is speaking out, but his willingness to wait until we lose to a ULM or Buzz year three is not moderation; it's ignorance.

Agreed. You've been really harsh on Dan the man in the past, but I really that what you're pointing to is something different. It shouldn't have taken three years for him to call out Wellman on the [Redacted] hire or call out Grobe on Lobo's incompetence. These things - as the Casstevens hire is, too - were and are out there, and for his own sake or ignorance, he chose not to cover them.

Dan is a beat writer, so I suppose we can congratulate him on doing his job. He is supposed to cover the news around the program. Coming to the party this late is hardly commendable, IMO, but like I said before: it's nice to have him covering the discontent with Wake athletics, and not portray dissent as the lunatic fringe.

Two things:

First, this is one sentence. My 6th grade English teacher would have killed me for writing a run on sentence like this...

You may not like the diction, but technically that's not a run-on sentence.

Why should we be thrilled? Ph, Numbers, and Lohengrin have been all over Grobo for the past couple of years, Ph for longer, and 90% of these boards told them to STFU and "be thrilled" to have Grobe. I'm sorry, but it's patronizing at this point to hear folks who have recently seen the light speak the truth as if it's a revelation. I'm genuinely thrilled that Dan is speaking out, but his willingness to wait until we lose to a ULM or Buzz year three is not moderation; it's ignorance.
Regarding Grobe, his poor performance now doesn't mean criticism was 'truth' years ago. Every coach fails and gets fired eventually. Grobe's legacy will be solid even though he's been doing a poor job for a while now.

[Redacted], of course, always sucked.

Grobe's $2M plus incentive package received last couple of years has enabled him to fund his retirement. He needs to take it and go!!! Would have been nice for him to leave on top though...

Back