• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Muggsy

That's a lot of gifs. And that's coming from someone who sees a lot of gifs.

5-foot-3-inches-of-scrapping-muggsy-bogues-gifs-21.gif

To this day that's probably the most satisfying game I've ever attended.

how would you compare the Duke student dorkiness on that day to present day?

It was more organic back then - no cheer sheets, no cosplay as your favorite LOTR character, rather their a-holery was more spontaneous.

The reason I called this game "satisfying" is because they were being brutal to Muggsy, cheering "stand up" when he shot free throws, among other things. Now, I don't have a detailed journal like others, but at the end of the OT, he had to shoot some clutch FTs (I think to win the game) and the Dookies were particularly energized. He hit the fts and got the dookies to shut the fuck up.

Also noteworthy - he shut Dawkins down, hard. Here's where I wish sportsstats.com still existed to verify my recollection.

I did find this article which, is sorta neat because on that same night, out in the midwest - "Danny Manning, a freshman, scored 22 points, including his team's last 12, to lead Kansas in a Big Eight opener"

http://www.nytimes.com/1985/01/18/sports/college-basketball-wake-forest-upsets-duke-in-overtime.html

It really was amazing the things he could do on offense and defense.
There will never be another Muggsy

how would you compare the Duke student dorkiness on that day to present day?

Back when Duke sucked and would get crushed regularly, the best cheer they had was "That's alright. That's okay. You will work for us, one day."

Back