• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Must Add to Playbook : Swing pass to RB out of the backfield

MrBojangles

Reaction score
This play has been our kryptonite on defense for several years, and I have no idea why Clawson hasn’t put it in our playbook.

I understand the RB needs to help pick up the blitz and block sometimes, but when we send our amazing receivers out to the same side and have them take off in every direction, they absolutely clear out all the DBs. Dumping it off to the RB would get us 8-15 yards every single time. Yet we never, ever seem to do this.

I believe Clawson is one of the best coaches in the country and certainly a fantastic fit for the Deacons, but this oversight, combined with the inability to find a kicker that can kick the ball to the end zone, are among the most baffling issues that I can’t get a handle on. Up there with how Danny Manning could always coach a good first half, before folding like a house of cards.

This play has been our kryptonite on defense for several years, and I have no idea why Clawson hasn’t put it in our playbook.

I understand the RB needs to help pick up the blitz and block sometimes, but when we send our amazing receivers out to the same side and have them take off in every direction, they absolutely clear out all the DBs. Dumping it off to the RB would get us 8-15 yards every single time. Yet we never, ever seem to do this.

I believe Clawson is one of the best coaches in the country and certainly a fantastic fit for the Deacons, but this oversight, combined with the inability to find a kicker that can kick the ball to the end zone, are among the most baffling issues that I can’t get a handle on. Up there with how Danny Manning could always coach a good first half, before folding like a house of cards.

You sure about that?

Ugh, putting Manning in any conversation regarding Clawson is blasphemy. Other than that, hard to disagree with anything else in your post.

Am I sure that it’s not in the playbook? No, I’m not. If it is though, we sure don’t call it enough.

There were plenty of opportunities last week and last night, when the blitz was on, that it would have worked like a charm.

It’s there and it’s open A LOT. Sam just doesn’t look there. Refuses to throw to the RB just like he refuses to throw the ball away.

When did manning coach a good first half? 😀
Manning's Achilles heel was always running out of time in the 2nd half before WF could outscore their opponents

Last edited:
Back