• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

My 50 favorite albums of 2014

I think pandora is mocking me. It's played pat benotar, blondie, and Stevie nicks all in a row. Boooo.

Sturgill Simpson, his 2014 album "Metamodern Sounds In Country Music" is terrific.

sturgill-simpson-metamodern.jpg

Just checked this out. Incredible.

I think pandora is mocking me. It's played pat benotar, blondie, and Stevie nicks all in a row. Boooo.

Depending on the songs, that could be the trifecta of awesomeness. Stevie didn't have any bad songs on her first two albums.

But it's like it knew I was bashing on the ladies.

Looks like Sturgill is this year's Jason Isbell on Townie snubs.

Say Hey gave a great definition of Dad Rock. Wilco is the band I most associate with Dad Rock though.

Great list Townie. Good luck picking a favorite track off Lost In The Dream.

I'd argue the guitar swell at the 5:13 mark of In Reverse is the biggest musical 'gut punch' of 2014.

so hey other usic threaders are we all gonna post our top album lists in here or what

i'm lookin' at you, KORY

I can see how Tune-Yards might not appeal to an elitist rich white dude.

Also War on Drugs is pretty much dad rock too.

I can see how tune yards would appeal to a tone deaf person who sits in his kitchen banging pots on the wall with his one good arm.

I can confirm I am a dad and I like both War on Drugs and Future Islands. In fact, by definition I guess all music I like can henceforth be classified properly and proudly as Dad Rock.

ok we need to define dad rock

i thought it was rock from the 60s and 70s

say hey you are a father of children but not a dad persay you still like talkin about getting strong and bhole scissoring once you drop those in lieu of corny ass dad jokes you're not a dad

I think Dad Rock is like music for upper middle class liberal white dudes who have kids but still like indie rock, but don't have time to get into the deeeeeeep indie stuff that comprises a good chunk of Townie's list. So stuff like Spoon, War on Drugs, Animal Collective, Broken Social Scene, the National, etc. I do in fact like all that stuff, so I'm okay with the label. Dad Rock is fine by me.

War on Drugs is not dad rock. It is derivative awesomeness. Animal collective is defs not dad rock.

Wilco is the definitive dad rock band, but yes national future islands Ryan Adams etc etc all daddy rock. If it's too slow to dance to, it's dad rock.

War on Drugs is absolutely "Dad Rock". Not bad. Just dad rock. Embrace it.

I just listened to some War On Drugs. If that ain't Dad Rock, then I don't know what is. Channel Bob Dylan much?

That gets the slow sway that you see when Wilco plays. Dad rock.

Last edited:
What is this shit? Who spends hours writing this garbage?

You suck at writing and your music taste is awful. Shave your face and get a job hippy

Call it whatever you want but Lost In A Dream is one of my favorite albums ever. It gets better every time I listen to it.

Back