• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

My Brother's Keeper

I'm wary of the two main initiatives:

An administration official said the “My Brother’s Keeper” effort will consist of two main parts. First, the official said, businesses and foundations will join together to test strategies aimed at “making sure children arrive at school ready to learn and reducing negative interactions with the criminal justice system.”

Second, Obama will launch an internal administration effort to more rigorously evaluate what programs work best at helping young minority males. The Education and Justice departments, for example, recently updated guidelines provided to school districts on the most effective disciplinary policies.
--------

Not sure what businesses have to offer to that question. Who is running an internal administration effort to evaluate existing programs?

The article also doesn't mention any efforts to engage young black males or successful black males who made it out of tough situations in developing these solutions.

Obviously, there's more to learn about this but it looks like it will be a bunch of outsiders offering solutions to children they don't really understand.

I'm very wary that it will result in lots of federal money going to powerful private foundations with the right business and political ties with little demonstrated effect.

Prove me wrong, Obama.

The effort will seek “to make sure that every young man of color who is willing to work hard and lift himself up has an opportunity to get ahead and reach his full potential,” the White House official said, speaking on the condition of anonymity ahead of the announcement. “The initiative will be focused on implementing strategies that are proven to get results.”

Out of curiosity, how is this Constitutional? It is a federal program that, as its plain mission statement, is favoring one or more races. When will "My Trailer's Tow Hitch" be implemented?

That said, I think these types of needed and manageable domestic social efforts are where Obama should have been focusing his political capital from Day 1. Had he implemented strategies like this that everyone can get behind instead of going off the cliff with healthcare, I think he would be much more appreciated than he is and gotten a lot more useful things accomplished.

The effort will seek “to make sure that every young man of color who is willing to work hard and lift himself up has an opportunity to get ahead and reach his full potential,” the White House official said

Bootstraps. It will never work.

jhmd tried keeping some brothers in a past life. Then they took the Amistad and all kinds of shit broke out.

jhmd tried keeping some brothers in a past life. Then they took the Amistad and all kinds of shit broke out.

Meanwhile you guys have the mentality rolling steady in 2014.

Bootstrap handouts?

world-exploding-o.gif

Back