• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

My opinions after the 2nd scrimmage

Yea def not a senior but he is not the QB now or in the future for WF, Tanner is just better. Ted would be/is a great change of pass guy that you can put in to run some packages with run/pass options like Florida did with Tebow as a freshman but that's about it. He doesn't have the arm to be a great ACC QB like Tanner does.

Agreed.

I also believe Tanner is our guy until he graduates/get hurt.

And I know they do not mean jack that is why they are just my opinions.

1. Tanner is our QB for the next 3 years like it or not. If he gets hurt this year we are in trouble. He looked solid today, got rid of the ball when he should threw nice crisp passes.

2. Our WR's especially Dembry are going to be really good this year.

3. TE's need to work on their hands badly. The TE's was dropping every pass the coach was throwing at them during warm ups except Andrew Parker.

4. OL looked ok today.

5. I didn't see a sack today on Tanner about 4 or 5 on Ted and 1 or 2 on Brendan.

6. Kinal was not particularly impressive today. But I get the feeling he will be our distance and hang time punter and Wulfeck will punt when we are trying to pin the other team close to the goal line. 3 Wulfeck punts today got pinned inside the 3.

7. Defense looked solid.

gotta run more later.

would the coaches consider putting bohanon at te & fb/h back if the te's can't get it done?

Yeah, but I think that was based on what he did at DE even if it's to play OLB in the NFL.

The best news of the day I didn't see any designed qb runs with Tanner.

Yeah, but I think that was based on what he did at DE even if it's to play OLB in the NFL.

Actually Kiper said he adjusted rapidly to the new scheme and believes the position is tailor made for a guy with his range,length and speed

^Only if he is used correctly though. Hopefully the coaching staff puts him in a position to best utilize that range, speed and length.

Actually Kiper said he adjusted rapidly to the new scheme and believes the position is tailor made for a guy with his range,length and speed

That doesn't mean it's the best scheme for Wake or that he's the best person to play OLB in this scheme.

Wilber's stats per game

Last edited:
^Only if he is used correctly though. Hopefully the coaching staff puts him in a position to best utilize that range, speed and length.

Well, since the NFL ranks the coaching staff at Wake among the top 5 in the U.S., I think I'll wager that they have some idea...

That doesn't mean it's the best scheme for Wake or that he's the best person to play OLB in this scheme.

Wilber's stats per game

Actually he is probably best equipped to do it and make the transition to pro ball as an olb. College ball takes it's cues from the pro game. You see it all across the league. Taking erstwhile defensive ends and turning them into 3-4 outside backers. Calvin Pace moved from DE as has Peppers, Mario Williams among others.

Do you have a source on that? That would be pretty cool.

I think he's talking about that "study" that showed Wake was in the Top 5 in producing a higher share of draft picks than the HS star ratings would expect.

That study is misleading because most of those picks are all from the same class and that Grobe effect hasn't spread to the other classes. That's what they call a cohort effect.

I'd definitely need a link to show that "the NFL" rated Grobe as a Top 5 coach.

Actually he is probably best equipped to do it and make the transition to pro ball as an olb. College ball takes it's cues from the pro game. You see it all across the league. Taking erstwhile defensive ends and turning them into 3-4 outside backers. Calvin Pace moved from DE as has Peppers, Mario Williams among others.

Moved from DE. That means their college coaches thought they would contribute best to their team at DE.

Not sure what Peppers is doing on your list.

Moved from DE. That means their college coaches thought they would contribute best to their team at DE.

Not sure what Peppers is doing on your list.

the 'cohort effect' does not account for Tyson Clabo, Steve Vallos, Steve Justice, Blake Lingruen, Chris DeGeare, Russell Nenon, Chris Barclay,Demir Boldin,Boo Robinson,John Russell, Ovie Mughelli,Riley Skinner,Mike Rinfrette,Jon Abbate,Fabian Davis,Kenny Moore, Josh Gattis, Patrick Ghee, Kevin Patterson, and others who EACH, with the exception of DeGeare, were 2 Star recruits.

Leave out 2 star players Vaughn, Curry and Arnoux and the 3 star Smith who actually represent what you are trying to say with "cohort".

You can have them for your "effect" but you can't rationalize the other guys mentioned who each earned some postseason recognition from the conference.

It is this development of 2 stars into draftable players, technically sound and mentally mature, that earns the recognition among NFL front offices.

Last edited:
The players on your list didn't all get drafted and some of them weren't even UFAs and some of did barely camped.

And even so, the number is much disproportionately higher in one cohort compared to the group.

And if I remember correctly, such analyses don't account for the fact that 3* players get more coaching, practice reps, and playing time at a Wake compared to a USC (which if I remember correctly was even higher on that list).

You can include the development of 2 star Qb Calvin Pace into a first round choice...the injury shortened but successful Jeremy Thompson 2/3 star by services, 2 stars Jason Anderson and Terrence Williams. The development of James MacPhearson...

Might be time to consult the Wake Forest record and see just how many players earned conference honors as compared to any other decade of Wake football. Pretty amazing numbers for Grobe's staff.

The players on your list didn't all get drafted and some of them weren't even UFAs and some of did barely camped.

And even so, the number is much disproportionately higher in one cohort compared to the group.

And if I remember correctly, such analyses don't account for the fact that 3* players get more coaching, practice reps, and playing time at a Wake compared to a USC (which if I remember correctly was even higher on that list).

You need to stop screwing around and look in your guide.

I said "draftable" players and guys earning conference honors...these were not vaunted recruits. They had to be developed.

Look, the guys in the NFL know that Wake Forest had never done shit before Grobe. They come and scout hot and heavy today. A helluva lot more than coming to see one or two guys and a punter or some such as was the past.

There is not an argument...you can argue with yourself but in this industry these guys are an easy top 5 in player development. That's shat their system is geared for and the only way they can achieve success (at first) and at least until their recruiting efforts take hold. Not the easiest of tasks after a hundred plus years of sucking ass.

Look, I realize you are yanking my chain but you really need to buckle down in your studies.

Back