• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

My Question For Wake Cardiologists

meandmyuncleDeac

Reaction score
I recently had my annual physical examination. At the end of it, my doctor basically said that in the coming months he was going to start having available in his office "stress tests". He described it as a procedure where you have some substance injected, then you get on a treadmill, and they watch this substance travel through your heart, etc., under varying degrees of stress and relaxation.

When I got home, I thought about it and then started to do some research. To begin with, I am 58 years old, and in good physical shape. I routinely exercise (running) 5 days a week for 40 minutes per session. I run at about 9-minute per mile pace. In my early fifties, I developed mild hypertension and some elevated cholesterol. The blood pressure is controlled by medication (enalipril) and the cholesterol by Simcor. I have no family history of heart disease, and have never experienced any chest pain, shortness of breath, which would be classic symptoms of heart problems. I have never experience any such discomfort during my exercise regimen.

I have now read several articles about stress tests, the most recent of which appeared in this month's edition of Consumer Reports. The gist of all of the articles is that such stress tests on people with no history of heart disease, and who report no symptoms, are costly, unnecessary, and over-prescribed. the bad news is also that such tests often result in "false positives" giving rise to furthur testing. I would be interested to know what you learned, Wake doctors have to say about this. Thanks in advance!

I'm not a cardiologist, but I do work with stress tests in Cardiology. I'll shoot you a PM.

**not a cardiologist**

As a medical researcher, I've usually only seen stress tests given to people that have reason to believe they may have some exertional ischemia in the heart. I think my parents have had them because they were paranoid but if you've got no personal/family history of heart disease or symptoms of heart problems during exertion (new or different shortness of breath, chest/back/left arm/jaw discomfort, syncope etc.), then it may not be terribly necessary.

**not a cardiologist**

**not a cardiologist**

Would answers from non-Wake cardiologists suffice as well?

tsy, would you mind posting what you wrote? i'm interested to see what you've got to say (and hear about any way in which stress tests can help a person post double-dissected aorta (ascending/descending)). anyone with post-aortic dissection advice is welcome to answer.

Christ, just watch MASH and House and get educated already!!

Non-Wake cardiologists and Non-Wake medical professionals in general are welcome!

Heh. The cliffs notes are:

Assuming you have a normal EKG, no, you don't need one

DISCLAIMER: I'm only a resident, this should not be considered medical advice.

tsy, would you mind posting what you wrote? i'm interested to see what you've got to say (and hear about any way in which stress tests can help a person post double-dissected aorta (ascending/descending)). anyone with post-aortic dissection advice is welcome to answer.

I'll shoot it to you a PM. I basically was explaining the differences in the types of stress tests, and the indications for each.

How was the dissection treated? Endograft?

I'll shoot it to you a PM. I basically was explaining the differences in the types of stress tests, and the indications for each.

How was the dissection treated? Endograft?

i'll be honest, i don't know. there was no valve replacement, and it involved kevlar/teflon. that's what i know.
*endograft doesn't sound familiar

Here's a quick video of an endograft placement. This is typically done percutaneously, but is a relatively new procedure. If it was done many years ago, I'd suppose it was an open heart surgical repair?

12.5 hours of open heart surgery 3 years ago.

yeah, it definitely wasn't that.

I find it rather absurd to think we could come onto the pit message board, ask a question to wake cardiologists in the plural, and no one else find that remarkable.

I find it rather absurd to think we could come onto the pit message board, ask a question to wake cardiologists in the plural, and no one else find that remarkable.

We're a remarkable bunch of folks. There's a lot of experts in a lot of areas posting here. It does amaze me.

Back