• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

My Take On Wake - Grobe Interview

DEAC22

Reaction score
DC has the first couple of parts of his interview with Coach Grobe up on his blog. Not sure how to link it. Sorry if this has been discussed already and I missed it.

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/wf...cle_0ad3a05c-43da-11e2-a04a-001a4bcf6878.html

I really like the man....a true gentleman. But someone help my recall here....we had 24 guys unable to practice for the Vanderbilt game ???

As to this first installment, I honestly can't see a guy like James Franklin talking like this.

For a whole host of reasons we badly need to somehow win a minimum of 7 games next season.

Right now I can't see that happening.

I have to agree with you Hondo. Everything Grobe said sounds like LOWF, and he's just a caretaker of the status quo. No urgency for anything, no hope for the future. Just play the hand you're dealt and ya win some ya lose some. It's sad it's come to this.

I have to agree with you Hondo. Everything Grobe said sounds like LOWF, and he's just a caretaker of the status quo. No urgency for anything, no hope for the future. Just play the hand you're dealt and ya win some ya lose some. It's sad it's come to this.

A lot can be learned from this post. "Just play the hand you're dealt and ya win some and ya lose some" is a true Grobeism.

I'm glad we aim for the top. When we fail we have plenty of built in excuses, already laid out and ready. I guess I just don't understand not feeling like you could build a program that could be a dominant force in the ACC. I'm not saying it will happen but why not aspire to that? Why admit defeat before you've started? I know we have some inherent limitations at Wake but the ACC as a whole is a shitty football conference and we should compete regularly. It's not like we play in the SEC west.

Killed himself by talking so much about Vandy... they have the exact same obstacles yet are thriving

Bull -

Killed himself by talking so much about Vandy... they have the exact same obstacles yet are thriving

I admit to coveting Franklin. In many circles Vandy is viewed as a better/tougher school than Wake and recent AD changes there suggest that admissions isn't bending much for Franklin on recruits. If accurate, it's noteworthy that he has a Top 20 class coming in. Plus the guy is hands-on during games calling all the offensive plays with the gameplan sheet in hand mixed with a visible passion and enthusiasm.

As we know, Grobe is not a coach of any position and it's becoming a concern for me that he's not envolved 'coaching' something specific at practice nor is he envolved on the sidelines during games. His motis operande is rather to be a quasi football CEO and let Lobo run Lobo's offensive gameplan selection week to week.

Did anyone know we only had 61 able bodies for Vandy....that floored me in the article.

Bull -

I admit to coveting Franklin. In many circles Vandy is viewed as a better/tougher school than Wake and recent AD changes there suggest that admissions isn't bending much for Franklin on recruits. If accurate, it's noteworthy that he has a Top 20 class coming in. Plus the guy is hands-on during games calling all the offensive plays with the gameplan sheet in hand mixed with a visible passion and enthusiasm.

As we know, Grobe is not a coach of any position and it's becoming a concern for me that he's not envolved 'coaching' something specific at practice nor is he envolved on the sidelines during games. His motis operande is rather to be a quasi football CEO and let Lobo run Lobo's offensive gameplan selection week to week.

Did anyone know we only had 61 able bodies for Vandy....that floored me in the article.

I think all of this is true except I think grobe does not let lobo run his own offense each game. My suspicion is that grobe tries to limit lobos game plane. Not saying I have faith in lobo, but simple grobe doesn't like doing anything risky ever.

Maybe if our S&C coach didn't overtrain our athletes, we would have had more bodies available for Vandy.

Excuse fail.

Lobo could run a better conservative gameplan. We have one of the worst offenses over his tenure.

True that Lobo sucks, but it is evident that Grobe doesn't really expect much, either, so...

Maybe if our S&C coach didn't overtrain our athletes, we would have had more bodies available for Vandy.

Excuse fail.

Even a true believe has to see there is something wrong with 24 unavailable players after 11 games.

Even a true believe has to see there is something wrong with 24 unavailable players after 11 games.

There were several NFL games on Sunday where they were talking about starters who, due to injuries, barely practiced during the week but were getting it done on gameday. I'm all for off-season training/toughness, but we were not able to get our best players going on Saturdays. I wonder if a bit different in-season conditioning attitude from the top down wouldn't get more players game ready on Saturdays.

Truly an inspiring read from our Head Football Coach. Just wow.

For a school that struggles to achieve depth, having 25% of your available players unavailable is a bad idea.

"Hopefully we’ll do a better job staying healthy – but there’s no science to that. I’ve been doing it 38 years now. I don’t know how to keep them healthy. It’s just a rough, tough, violent sport and guys get banged up.''

God there is so much in there that is just depressing, but this is just wow. I think there are NFL and CFB trainers all over the country that would disagree with this.

Maybe next year will try some voodoo magic to heal players for Saturdays?!

Grobe is basically saying his S&C guy isn't doing his job along with the rest of the staff. Healthy players should be among the highest priority.

"Sorry Mom, we have no idea how to keep your son healthy. Oh well."

Back