• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

N.C. State Game Review / Louisville Game Week Thread

Gaulden is butt. But I think Dancel could actually be a decent LB/roving LB but unfortunately that's not the position we are asking him to play. Need a rotation of Glenn, Janvion, and Brown and stick with those guys.

94Deac is not too high on Gaulden and Dancel.

I thought Hinton looked decent when he got in the game - he needs to start. When he comes off the bench, it is TOO LATE. We need early momentum and first downs.

Our running backs are slow.

I try to be objective. To be fair and balanced I'll point out that Dancel has had some big plays when he's been around the line of scrimmage. He was ACC defensive back of the week after the Boston College game. Struggles have come when he's asked to play in space.

Gaulden is butt. But I think Dancel could actually be a decent LB/roving LB but unfortunately that's not the position we are asking him to play. Need a rotation of Glenn, Janvion, and Brown and stick with those guys.

You aren't down on Brown after the UNC game?

Here is part 2 of my NCSU game writeup:

QUARTERBACK

Much has been made of Kendall Hinton’s ability to provide a running threat and his mobility overall, but I also trust him to get the ball out quicker on passing plays. That might be just as important right now.

The best part about Hinton’s long TD run? The fact that he abused a DB with a move in the open field the way that we’ve seen our safeties get abused in the last few games.

The strike that Hinton delivered over the middle to Chuck Wade in the 3Q served as a reminder that Hinton has the ability to make all kinds of difficult throws. It’s all about consistency. A couple of deep balls were also oh-so-close to connecting.

RUNNING BACKS

We haven’t gotten to see Tyler Bell in the open field very much this season, but when we have he has shown some elusiveness. His late 33-yarder included some impressive moves. He has come close to breaking some longer runs in the last few weeks. It will be interesting to see if he can really break one in the remaining games.

RECEIVERS

The slot tandem of Tabari Hines and Chuck Wade stood out on a day when there weren’t many standouts. They combined for 9 catches for 85 yards. They gave Hinton options when he needed quick hitting plays. Wade’s 39 yard kickoff return also deserves mention.

OFFENSIVE LINE

Here is my count of obvious breakdowns:
Haynes (5) – 1Q allowed QB hit (outside rush), 2Q gave up QB pressure, 2Q mental mistake (see below), 3Q gave up sack, 4Q gave up strip-sack on outside rush (fumble recovered by Wake)
Herron (2) – 1Q allowed sack (outside rush), 2Q mental mistake (see below)
Anderson (2) – 2Q gave up QB hit, 4Q gave up tackle for loss

The OL had one of their worst single plays of the season in this game. Here is a summary: it was second and 10 with 8 minutes left in the second quarter. NCSU had a four man front with both DEs lined up very wide. Pre-snap a LB showed that he may blitz. Wake has the TE split out wide, so the pass protection is just the 5 OLs and Matt Colburn who behind the LT. At the snap all 6 blockers either collapse on the 2 interior DTs or react to the LB that had threatened to blitz. BOTH defensive ends go unblocked and sack Hinton immediately after the snap. I hadn’t noticed a mental mistake that bad since the Elon game.

On a more positive note, Josh Harris and Tyler Hayworth combined with Cam Serigne to open a big hole for Matt Colburn’s 4Q 20-yarder.

DEFENSIVE LINE

I think that Duke Ejiofor has been as good as advertised. By that I mean he is clearly ahead of our other DEs, especially when it comes to rushing the passer. He’s capable of applying pressure in ways that the other just can’t or don’t. He had a 3Q sack and a near miss in the 1Q when he couldn’t get Brissett to the ground fast enough (at least the coaches will appreciate that he went low with his tackle attempt).

Chris Calhoun hasn’t managed many impact plays this season, but he flashed his ability in the second quarter deflecting a pass after dropping into coverage. It will be interesting to see how he develops as he gets stronger and more experienced. If he reaches his potential he will bring a lot of versatility and athleticism to the position (versatility is very important in Coach Elko’s defense).

I noticed that the DL contributed more in run support than they have against teams other than run-heavy Army and Boston College. 9 solo tackles is definitely an improvement. One of those who flashed in run support was Shelldon Lewinson, who is working his way into more playing time. At one point Lewinson recorded either a solo tackle or an assist on three consecutive plays. It will be interesting to see if the staff decides to give him a fifth year. Hopefully they have enough room.

CORNERBACKS

Obviously Dionte Austin is going to be a player that fans will be watching closely once he officially takes over the starting job opposite Brad Watson. I’ll admit that I’m nervous for him. As a true freshman you know that opposing offensive coordinators are going to go after him. He’s going to give up some plays. But on the field on Saturday it was all positive plays from Austin. 2 impressive pass breakups, including one near interception when he showed anticipation and jumped a throw to the sideline. He also had one of the better special teams tackles I’ve seen this year, and a very nice tackle for loss when he came downhill in run support. I also noticed him hustling after an overthrown ball after the receiver had given up on it. I think he’ll have more ups than downs in the remaining games.

So who knew that Brad Watson entered this weekend leading the ACC in passes defended? I admit that it did not until it was mentioned on the television coverage.

After Nyheim Hines scored the TD it looked like Josh Okonye drew the assignment of covering him for the rest of the game. That is unusual for Okonye to see time outside of the third down subpackage. He was flagged for an obvious pass interference call in the second quarter that negated an interception, but you have to admit that he showed good ball skills to make the catch.

BLITZES

I would like to know what our success rate is on blitzes. What seems certain is that it is too low. It’s painful watching 6-man blitzes get completely stonewalled. However, Brandon Chubb did have two good pass rushes at the beginning of the 4Q.

SOME LOLs FROM THE TV COVERAGE

When Tabari Hines threw the not-so-pretty pass for an early INT the announcers somehow mistakenly identified him as Kendall Hinton. Sorry, Hinton’s passes don’t look like that.

The sideline reporter’s interview with Ed Bradley about the 1970 ACC Championship Game somehow wandered into Bradley openly lamenting about the challenges he was having figuring out his new smart phone.

Another great job, 94. The growth of freshmen OLs is not a straight line. They will have some improvement and then get punched in the mouth. They will come to a point when they won't have to think so much. That's when confidence and consistency will converge, hopefully sooner than later.

Thanks for the excellent report. It must be painful for Haynes to be thrown into the fire in this way (painful for his QBs also). Too often plays ended with his hands on hips looking at his man and our QB on the ground! Still I have hope that he will become one of the best we have had.

Thanks for the excellent report. It must be painful for Haynes to be thrown into the fire in this way (painful for his QBs also). Too often plays ended with his hands on hips looking at his man and our QB on the ground! Still I have hope that he will become one of the best we have had.

Growing pains now will hopefully lead to 2 badass tackles when they're juniors and seniors.

Clawson has discussed several times on the coach's show how impressed he is with Haynes work ethic, character, raw talent and physical ability.

It's a little unfortunate that he has been pressed into service this early in his development. As a reminder his first live scrimmage as an offensive lineman AT ANY LEVEL was April 2015.

I try to be objective. To be fair and balanced I'll point out that Dancel has had some big plays when he's been around the line of scrimmage. He was ACC defensive back of the week after the Boston College game. Struggles have come when he's asked to play in space.

Not a real good quality for a safety. Perhaps not as bad for a NG.

Multiple tweets this morning reporting that both QBs will play this week.

Wake Rivals tweeted that Dionte Austin has, as expected, moved to top spot on the depth chart. Les also tweeted that Cameron Glenn is back on the 2-deep - meaning it is more likely that he will play this week.

Multiple tweets this morning reporting that both QBs will play this week.

Wake Rivals tweeted that Dionte Austin has, as expected, moved to top spot on the depth chart. Les also tweeted that Cameron Glenn is back on the 2-deep - meaning it is more likely that he will play this week.

You can bet that Austin will be a marked man Friday night by Petrino, but he's earned the right to start, looked much better than Gauldin Saturday.

Deacs94, thanks so much for all you do! I noticed too that Wolford seems to hold the ball a second or two longer than Hinton. Did he do this last year too? Or is it him second guessing himself after the injured ankle?

Really impressed with Austin actually. After watching the panthers Sunday, he reminds me of a younger, skinnier Josh Norman...I'm fine with coaches targeting him...think he can handle the pressure and think he has tremendous ball awareness such that he will get a takeaway or two before the year is over.

You can bet that Austin will be a marked man Friday night by Petrino, but he's earned the right to start, looked much better than Gauldin Saturday.

Fortunately, he'll be defending against some pretty inexperienced players for Louisville.

94 -

BLITZES

I would like to know what our success rate is on blitzes. What seems certain is that it is too low. It’s painful watching 6-man blitzes get completely stonewalled. However, Brandon Chubb did have two good pass rushes at the beginning of the 4Q.

Painful and frustrating to watch. I'm not smart enough to know why we can't get to the QB:confused:

....and when we do get to the QB, we try to tackle him high and let him escape to throw a TD pass. :(

Coach C was really ticked about the early sack that got away and essentially set the tone for the entire game.

Les Miles reported that Clawson said Wolford is getting the start this week, but both QBs will play. Is it just me, or am I right in thinking that playing Hinton from here on out is not only best for the remainder of this season but for the next three years as well? Get him some more experience and he could be one of the best dual threat quarterbacks in the NCAA. I just don't see a positive in starting Wolford over Hinton.
Glad Dionte Austin is the 1 on the depth chart now. Corners have looked really bad as of late, but Austin came into the State game and made some impressive plays.

Deacs94, thanks so much for all you do! I noticed too that Wolford seems to hold the ball a second or two longer than Hinton. Did he do this last year too? Or is it him second guessing himself after the injured ankle?

Really impressed with Austin actually. After watching the panthers Sunday, he reminds me of a younger, skinnier Josh Norman...I'm fine with coaches targeting him...think he can handle the pressure and think he has tremendous ball awareness such that he will get a takeaway or two before the year is over.

I think John is probably very wary of making mistakes and is probably trying to be real careful with his throws, but unfortunately our O-line doesn't allow time for that. Good or bad, we need our QB to be pretty quick about where he's going with the ball. I also think that cumulatively that last year and this year might be getting to John a little bit, he's beat up and his confidence is a little bit down. I think that would very understandable because the kid has been a punching bag back there.

Back