• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

N.C State in serious talks with Rick Barnes

... and State takes another strike. So far this is not much different than their last search, although I guess Smart is a good target (though I will hate this if it happens).

There hasn't been a bit of credible info out there, let alone public rejections, and we haven't settled on the worst coach in NBA history (with zero college experience), so I'd say it is actually different.

Hey, at least their fans will know that they went after big names and struck out! Along with the rest of the world of course.

Guy on the radio (didn't catch who they were actually interviewing) said Miller is looking pretty unlikely, as well.

Miller would have to be a total dunce to drop a Top 10 job and leave what he is doing at AZ to go to State. Miller will be held in the same regard or higher as Lute by the time he's done.

Actually, sources here in Raleigh are saying that they are going to shock the world and go with a co-coach system.

!CERfgKg!2k~$(KGrHqJ,!l!Ez+8WgTr-BNRZZ6j(MQ~~_3.JPG

ACC Sports Journal says Barnes is out. Sean Miller and Shaka Smart are the targets, although they say things are staying pretty quiet.

http://www.accsports.com/blogs/david-glenn/2011032310140/wolfpack-coaching-search-taking-shape.php

Guy on the radio here in Raleigh just said Mark Turgeon is another target.

Don't see either Turgeon or Miller as seriously possibilities. Turgeon will be up for bigger jobs in the future that will be less likely to come if he's at NC State, and Miller makes a shitload of money and has the program going in the great direction (and, prestige wise, Arizona > NC State).

... and State takes another strike. So far this is not much different than their last search, although I guess Smart is a good target (though I will hate this if it happens).

Not necessarily how it happened.

The other scenario is that Barnes and State talked, Yow has S. Miller higher on the list and wasn't willing to make Barnes an offer this week. Barnes doesn't want to be anyones 2nd choice and would only consider an offer this week, so he decides he is staying in Texas.

Last edited:
Don't see either Turgeon or Miller as seriously possibilities. Turgeon will be up for bigger jobs in the future that will be less likely to come if he's at NC State, and Miller makes a shitload of money and has the program going in the great direction (and, prestige wise, Arizona > NC State).

Which bigger jobs will Turgeon be considered for? He worked for Roy, but UNC is a long ways off from being open. Duke makes no sense for him. Maryland? I would think they would likely get someone from the east coast.

Turgeon is a midwest guy, so does he make sense for UConn? Or Cuse if Boeheim retires?

Oklahoma makes sense for him. Maybe Missouri too.

I have heard there is interest from him in State's job.

Last edited:
Which bigger jobs will Turgeon be considered for? He worked for Roy, but UNC is a long ways off from being open. Duke makes no sense for him. Maryland? I would think they would likely get someone from the east coast.

Turgeon is a midwest guy, so does he make sense for UConn? Or Cuse if Boeheim retires?

Oklahoma makes sense for him. Maybe Missouri too.

Yes, UNC, and no it isn't that far away. Furthermore, he is widely considered to be at the top of Kansas's list in case Self goes pro.

Oklahoma and Missouri are comparable programs to State. Meaning that he won't leave Texas A&M for them.

I dont see state getting Smart either...they are going to have to look past #5 on their list

Not necessarily how it happened.

The other scenario is that Barnes and State talked, Yow has S. Miller higher on the list and wasn't willing to make Barnes an offer this week. Barnes doesn't want to be anyones 2nd choice and would only consider an offer this week, so he decides he is staying in Texas.

I heard State offered and Barnes declined

If State has any sense of timing, they put on a full court press to bring in Smart.

And, if they succeed, State becomes a force for years, especially after K and Roy retire.

Yes, UNC, and no it isn't that far away. Furthermore, he is widely considered to be at the top of Kansas's list in case Self goes pro.

Oklahoma and Missouri are comparable programs to State. Meaning that he won't leave Texas A&M for them.

I've never really understood why a good Carolina/Duke/Kansas coach would leave for the NBA. Unless you just absolutely hate recruiting, what do you gain? All of those coaches get treated like royalty and make millions every year for coaching 35 games.

I am sticking with Anthony Grant. I think he makes a lot of sense.

Back