• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

name some obscure bands that you like...

Like BobStack I've been listening to a lot of Australian/New Zealand rock lately. Here are a few of my favorites...

Have you seen that documentary about them? Pretty entertaining. Anyway, this was a great Mitch Easter produced album. Great Athens, GA band from back in the day.

Yep, its called Dig, and covers 8 years of friendship and feuding between BJM and Dandy Warhols. Interesting stuff. Won an award at Sundance I believe.

Going to see The Deadfields at Fam Dog in the ATL this weekend, they are pretty solid.

Get ready for some good music.

The original drummer for the Wrinkle Neck Mules was one of my good buddies from Wake. I went to see some of their first shows in Richmond, VA.

I was shocked to see at listing for an ATL show for them a few weeks ago. Looks like they have a very different lineup now, except for the singer bro.

The original drummer for the Wrinkle Neck Mules was one of my good buddies from Wake. I went to see some of their first shows in Richmond, VA.

I was shocked to see at listing for an ATL show for them a few weeks ago. Looks like they have a very different lineup now, except for the singer bro.

WNM are my most listened to band over the past several years. I can't really map it, but their music really moves me. I was told recently that one of the current members lives in Austin and another here in Houston. I thought they were done, but I guess the Geico commerical resurrected them.

Lol the tag was there before I made my first post. However, I have enjoyed listening to a lot of these. Here are some of my lesser known favorites of the last few years:

Yellow Ostrich

Scattered Trees

Death Songs

Not sure if this counts as "obscure," but I dig Radical Face.

Damien Jurado - a singer/songwriter from Seattle. His lyrics are incredible, he's mostly acoustic with occasional acompanyment, but lately he's had a rock tinge. I can't think of a contemporary, but he gets connected to Pedro the Lion a lot because they're both from Seattle. I've listened to his album "The Ghost of David" about a thousand times. That I know of, he's written beautiful songs about: suicide, a serial killer, a woman deserting her family, a psychotic brother.
[

Last edited:
I've got 2 more

Idlewild - a rock band from Scotland. They were pretty popular in Europe a couple years ago, but never broke here. Their strong structures and lyrics are reminiscent of R.E.M., but faster with a crunchier guitar sound

Matt Mays & El Torpedo - a rock band from Nova Scotia, basically a Canadian Tom Petty. I first heard them on Late Night with Conan 6 or 7 years ago and they were really popular in Canada at the time, but broke up after two albums.

Back