• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Napa Valley Suggestions

OriginalAdmiral

Reaction score
Looking for suggestions on good hotels in the Napa area. Also, any wineries and restaurants that are must visits would be helpful. Thanks!

Last edited:
I went to Auberge du Soleil with my wife a few years ago. It was great. Sit on the deck.

Here's a link to a thread with some of my previous recommendations: http://www.ogboards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3256&highlight=napa

Was just up there a few weekends ago. Best wine by far was at Trefethen. We stayed at the Best Western Elm House, it's more of a B and B than a Best Western, nothing special but the owners were super friendly and it was one of the more reasonably priced places and it is super easy access to the highway.

go up to sonoma instead - much more approachable and friendly places up there. In sonoma they are glad to have you there; in napa they act like you're lucky to be there.

I was all ready to recommend you go to the Cote du Rhone region in Provence until I saw you only wanted info on Napa. Perhaps you should put Napa in the title.

Hello!Welcome to the site! I hope to be friend with you in the future!

enjoy an outdoor lunch at Rutherford Grill...bring your own wine in, no corkage fee. have a picnic at v sattui winery. my favorite trip starts with mumm napa early in the am and head out from there. some of my favorites not in napa are martinelli and benzinger.

My wife and I prefer Sonoma to Napa as well, but if you are already committed to Sonoma, two of our favorite dinner spots are Bottega and Allegria (Italian). If you can afford it, stay at the Carneros Inn. It is in Southern Napa, so a bit of a drive to get to some of the northernmost wineries but they are all individual cottages with an outdoor shower. Great breakfast place around the corner and the restaurant on site, Farm, is outstanding.

I would recommend doing a hot air balloon ride one morning if you have never been on one. You have to get up early as hell, but sailing above the valley like that will take your breath away.

enjoy an outdoor lunch at Rutherford Grill...bring your own wine in, no corkage fee. have a picnic at v sattui winery. my favorite trip starts with mumm napa early in the am and head out from there. some of my favorites not in napa are martinelli and benzinger.

Rutherford Grill is great. I also recommend picking up some sandwiches at Oakville Grocery and eating in their picnic area. Very scenic and right off of the main road.

I really enjoyed Beringer, BV, Sterling, and Joseph Phelps.

go up to sonoma instead - much more approachable and friendly places up there. In sonoma they are glad to have you there; in napa they act like you're lucky to be there.

Exactly. Sonoma >>>>> Napa

Already booked at Hotel Yountville so Sonoma is out this go around. Thanks for all the suggestions. As far as restaurants, we have heard that Bouchon is really good and it is the same chef as The French Laundry (Thomas Keller) so I think we may try that one out. 61raddeac, we are going the 2nd week of November so I would love to hear any feedback you have after your trip.

Already booked at Hotel Yountville so Sonoma is out this go around. Thanks for all the suggestions. As far as restaurants, we have heard that Bouchon is really good and it is the same chef as The French Laundry (Thomas Keller) so I think we may try that one out. 61raddeac, we are going the 2nd week of November so I would love to hear any feedback you have after your trip.

I've been to another Bouchon and it was great--definitely at least hit up the bakery. Ad Hoc is supposed to be fantastic as well (another Keller place).

Back