• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

National Review: An Epidemic of Dishonesty on the Right

Newenglanddeac

Reaction score
Lying about George Soros is wrong for a number of reasons. The first and most important of them is that lying is wrong, and those of us who play roles in the public discourse have a special responsibility to be scrupulous with the facts, especially those touching our opponents and rivals. That is related to another good reason to avoid this kind of dishonesty: When people get used to hearing prominent conservatives lying about their opponents, it makes it easier for honest and fair-minded people to dismiss conservative arguments and conservative claims out of hand.

D’Souza is hardly the only offender here. Scott Baio suggested on Twitter that the woman presented as Charlottesville murder victim Heather Heyer was the same woman presented as Sandy Hook mother Vicki Soto. He posted pictures of them side by side, with the oh-so-innocent remark “Thoughts?” The implication — that the events in Sandy Hook and Charlottesville were some sort of hoax pulled off by a powerful and far-reaching conspiracy of wily political operators who could not be bothered to hire an extra actress to fortify their schemes — is poisonous, lunatic conspiracy-theory stuff. Normally, I would not give one furry little rat’s patootie what Chachi says or does, but this is a man who was invited to speak on the opening day of the Republican National Convention in 2016, who is a regular representative of the conservative view on Fox News and other outlets, and who is, therefore, a figure of some cultural consequence, peculiar as that fact may be.

And of course there is the fact, inconvenient for conservatives, that the president of these United States, who is in the habit of denouncing “fake news” from the bully pulpit, spent years trafficking in a daft conspiracy theory about Barack Obama: that he is a Kenyan and possibly (as Baio has suggested) a Muslim, possibly a closet radical Muslim (call him “The Meccan Candidate”) sympathetic to the aims of al-Qaeda et al.

Trump and his apologists have failed to learn the sad lesson of Hillary Rodham Clinton: When people have come to assume that every other word out of your mouth is a lie, it becomes very difficult to tell the truth effectively. If Mrs. Clinton had had a good and true explanation for her email shenanigans, no one would have believed her. If Trump has a genuine “win” to talk about, all thinking adults will treat his claims with skepticism. Even his allies and members of his staff know better than to take him at his word.

That’s a problem for the president in particular, but it also is a problem for the conservative movement, which has become infected with Trump’s dishonesty.

Dinesh D’Souza should be ashamed of himself. David Clarke should be ashamed of himself, and not just for his ridiculous hat. And conservatives should be ashamed of them, too, and for bending the knee to Scott Baio, Ted Nugent, and every other third-rate celebrity who has something nice to say about a Republican from time to time. And we should be ashamed of ourselves if we come to accept this kind of dishonesty in the service of political expediency. If conservative ideas cannot prevail in the marketplace of ideas without lies, they do not deserve to prevail at all.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018...nesty-epidemic/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Soros colluded with Nazis when he was old enough to know better. His regard for himself as some sort of god puts him at odds with most rational people. His amoral habits of manipulating currencies for only his own benefit is a glaring example of his Machiavellian nature and extreme hubris. As a narcissist he has no peer. He is a chameleon with no real aim to provide any cohesion to world affairs..he thrives on the divisions proscribed by Gramsci and Marx.

I regard him in the same light as Viktor Orban does : an enemy of mankind

Nobody cares about George Soros except conservatives looking for a boogie man. Nobody.

Soros colluded with Nazis when he was old enough to know better. His regard for himself as some sort of god puts him at odds with most rational people. His amoral habits of manipulating currencies for only his own benefit is a glaring example of his Machiavellian nature and extreme hubris. As a narcissist he has no peer. He is a chameleon with no real aim to provide any cohesion to world affairs..he thrives on the divisions proscribed by Gramsci and Marx.

I regard him in the same light as Viktor Orban does : an enemy of mankind

It's cute that you think of yourself as a rational person. Sad, but cute.

You don’t realize Soros is a straw man made up as a false equivalence to the Koch brothers.

Soros colluded with Nazis when he was old enough to know better.

I've heard this before and thought it smelled of bullshit so I looked it up. Soros was born in 1930 and was all of 14 years old when the Nazi's surrendered.

It's cute that you think of yourself as a rational person. Sad, but cute.

gotta reject any facts or information that comes from outside your bubble, gotta do it, otherwise your bubble, carefully constructed over a lifetime, might burst, and then what? then you will have to learn to deal with reality

gotta reject any facts or information that comes from outside your bubble, gotta do it, otherwise your bubble, carefully constructed over a lifetime, might burst, and then what? then you will have to learn to deal with reality

I can assure you that no matter what happens, shooshmoo will not be dealing with reality, so this is incorrect.

I can assure you that no matter what happens, shooshmoo will not be dealing with reality, so this is incorrect.

I'm afraid you are right, but I did not want even the most stubborn of lefties to lose all hope of recovery from their intellectually and morally deleterious addiction

So I guess no one read the opening to this article which details Soros' history. Reminder: this is from a conservative author in a conservative publication.

Perhaps if the lefties stopped getting their info from fake news like the Washington post and ihateamerica.com, they'd realize that killary is still funneling money and abortions through a pizza shop. The lefties are just too dumb to see. Obama.

Thanks for providing an example.

Thanks for taking the time..I will try and always look at the articles, etc., you refer to and do my best (however poorly) to consider your point of view. We seem to rarely agree on political issues but I respect your considerable intelligence and respect your opinion.

Back