• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

National Review Fires Writer For Racial Column

RaleighDevil

Reaction score
Last night, National Review editor Rich Lowry severed the magazine's ties with John Derbyshire. This is part of his explanation.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/295514/parting-ways-rich-lowry

Derb is also maddening, outrageous, cranky, and provocative. His latest provocation, in a webzine, lurches from the politically incorrect to the nasty and indefensible. We never would have published it, but the main reason that people noticed it is that it is by a National Review writer. Derb is effectively using our name to get more oxygen for views with which we’d never associate ourselves otherwise. So there has to be a parting of the ways. Derb has long danced around the line on these issues, but this column is so outlandish it constitutes a kind of letter of resignation. It’s a free country, and Derb can write whatever he wants, wherever he wants. Just not in the pages of NR or NRO, or as someone associated with NR any longer.

http://takimag.com/article/the_talk_nonblack_version_john_derbyshire#axzz1rJPlABLB

(This is only part of it.)

There is a talk that nonblack Americans have with their kids, too. My own kids, now 19 and 16, have had it in bits and pieces as subtopics have arisen. If I were to assemble it into a single talk, it would look something like the following. ...

10a) Avoid concentrations of blacks not all known to you personally.

(10b) Stay out of heavily black neighborhoods.

(10c) If planning a trip to a beach or amusement park at some date, find out whether it is likely to be swamped with blacks on that date (neglect of that one got me the closest I have ever gotten to death by gunshot).

(10d) Do not attend events likely to draw a lot of blacks.

(10e) If you are at some public event at which the number of blacks suddenly swells, leave as quickly as possible.

(10f) Do not settle in a district or municipality run by black politicians.

(10g) Before voting for a black politician, scrutinize his/her character much more carefully than you would a white.

(10h) Do not act the Good Samaritan to blacks in apparent distress, e.g., on the highway.

(10i) If accosted by a strange black in the street, smile and say something polite but keep moving.

(11) The mean intelligence of blacks is much lower than for whites. The least intelligent ten percent of whites have IQs below 81; forty percent of blacks have IQs that low. Only one black in six is more intelligent than the average white; five whites out of six are more intelligent than the average black. These differences show in every test of general cognitive ability that anyone, of any race or nationality, has yet been able to devise. They are reflected in countless everyday situations. “Life is an IQ test.”

(12) There is a magnifying effect here, too, caused by affirmative action. In a pure meritocracy there would be very low proportions of blacks in cognitively demanding jobs. Because of affirmative action, the proportions are higher. In government work, they are very high. Thus, in those encounters with strangers that involve cognitive engagement, ceteris paribus the black stranger will be less intelligent than the white. In such encounters, therefore—for example, at a government office—you will, on average, be dealt with more competently by a white than by a black. If that hostility-based magnifying effect (paragraph 8) is also in play, you will be dealt with more politely, too. “The DMV lady“ is a statistical truth, not a myth.

You have to know you're firing your final salvo when you write that article.

ONW, what speaks volumes is how long this racist was allowed to stay with National Review (and Online). His position on blacks being inferior has been known for years, but it was OK with Rich Lowery for years.

ONW, what speaks volumes is how long this racist was allowed to stay with National Review (and Online). His position on blacks being inferior has been known for years, but it was OK with Rich Lowery for years.

I follow your logic. Person A hung around person B for a very long time, so by osmosis, person A automatically agrees with everything person B ever says, Wright?

Sincerely,

B. Obama, 20 year+ member, Trinity United Church of Christ.

I follow your logic. Person A hung around person B for a very long time, so by osmosis, person A automatically agrees with everything person B ever says, Wright?

Sincerely,

B. Obama, 20 year+ member, Trinity United Church of Christ.

I don't follow your logic. Mainly because it is moronic.

RJ makes an absurd point, I mock it, and then you trip over yourself to take my parody of his bad argument as a serious point. You guys are getting insufferable.

My dad had the same conversation with me. Of course he's an obscene racist. We don't get along real well.

RJ makes an absurd point, I mock it, and then you trip over yourself to take my parody of his bad argument as a serious point. You guys are getting insufferable.

"mock" and "parody" imply that your post was funny

Yeah, not to mention it's based on in total about 5 minutes of footage out of thousands of hours worth of sermons that we have no evidence Obama ever heard.

So, I've never been a non-black person. Is such a talk common with non-black parents? Please be honest.

He should have moderated his rhetoric the way Sharpton did.

Just asking for some honest dialogue. No need to take political potshots. You started the thread.

Tawana and the Korean grocery. Sharpton is just a slicker form of this fella. Oh, let's not forget the incident with the Jews. Why is this man on PMSNBC?

You are talking about things that happened twenty plus years ago.

My bad only Republicans like W can change.

But way to deflect from his guy who is acting this way currently. You didn't want to talk about him or about the 1100 bills anti-women bills Republicans drew up since they took power in 2011.

You are talking about things that happened twenty plus years ago.

My bad only Republicans like W can change.

But way to deflect from his guy who is acting this way currently. You didn't want to talk about him or about the 1100 bills anti-women bills Republicans drew up since they took power in 2011.

Name one bill that is anti-woman.

So, I've never been a non-black person. Is such a talk common with non-black parents? Please be honest.

Definitely never heard that talk nor do I feel any need to have such a talk with my kids.

You can basically give your kids the "nothing good ever happens after 2 AM" talk and it will cover all of the personal safety issues this racist clown tries to allude to.

I think it's safe to say Sharpton has cause more damage than Derbyshire. Virtually no one has heard of the latter, and I doubt we can come up with anything he's done to equal what Sharpton did.

Wow. Pretty incendiary stuff. He definitely deserved to be canned. From 10g onwards is where I think he REALLY oversteps. I hope that stuff about IQ is BS.

10a thru 10f is something every person, white and black, should examine, though. Nobody would dare to write something like that or speak it publicly, but I doubt anybody can seriously tell me that that kind of shit doesn't go through your head. In this day and age, I think something like that would send up the reflexive red flag that tells you, "You shouldn't be thinking that way," and that's fine and dandy, but those thoughts still crop up. Given all the ridiculousness of the Zimmerman thing recently, it is probably not a good time to discuss such things, but IMO we dilly dally around too much on the race issue in this country. The more open discussion, the better. There are endemic problems within the black population in the US, but I think that you find that most of it is probably straight up economics. Some can be blamed on history, some of it cannot. Hell if I have a solution, though. All I know is that assclowns writing something like this do NOT contribute to a sane dialogue on the subject.

Back