• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

National Signing Day Recap

Yeah the concept of the 3-4 is good, we just didn't use the 3-4 to threaten from any and every angle too much last year. A lot of that was talent and speed of the linebackers (lacking) but some of it I thought was gameplan and play-by-play calls from our DC. It was their first year working on this defense though so I'm fine giving them another year to figure the 3-4 out and the best way to get it to work.

Yeah the concept of the 3-4 is good, we just didn't use the 3-4 to threaten from any and every angle too much last year. A lot of that was talent and speed of the linebackers (lacking) but some of it I thought was gameplan and play-by-play calls from our DC. It was their first year working on this defense though so I'm fine giving them another year to figure the 3-4 out and the best way to get it to work.

Yep. There is no defense against a decent passing offense apart from pressure on the QB. I hope we can figure a way to increase our pass rush.

Also. . .Let's just say that I would not expect any Co-DC's this year. . .Knorr is the guy.

The 3-4 was a problem against the run. We almost always lost the line-of-scrimmage battle late in games, especially in the second half of the season.

I sat next to Coach Mac today and this is the way he explained it to me: In a 4 - 3, the D Tackles line up in the gaps between O Lineman, so the offense knows where they will attack. While speed is always at a premium in a 4 - 3 alignment, bulk is more important. In a 3 - 4 alignment, the NG lines up with the C head-on and the O Line has no idea which gap he is going to attack. In that alignment and with the added element of surprise, quickness is much more important than bulk.

So we are going with the penetrating one gap NG, as opposed to the typical big 2 gap NG that holds off blockers.

So we are going with the penetrating one gap NG, as opposed to the typical big 2 gap NG that holds off blockers.

^ Yep.

But using 1 NG instead of 2 DTs gives us 4 LBs instead of 3......which should improve coverage of a spread offense.
Plus, it's very hard to consistently get top quality DTs. To play with 2 DTs means you need to have at least 3, so you can rotate. First, there are just not that many around and they are very highly coveted. Also, not many of them would qualify for Wake academically........or would be able to stay eligible.

^ Yep.

But using 1 NG instead of 2 DTs gives us 4 LBs instead of 3......which should improve coverage of a spread offense.
Plus, it's very hard to consistently get top quality DTs. To play with 2 DTs means you need to have at least 3, so you can rotate. First, there are just not that many around and they are very highly coveted. Also, not many of them would qualify for Wake academically........or would be able to stay eligible.

This

Caldwell managed to do better at DT.

The 3-4 was a problem against the run. We almost always lost the line-of-scrimmage battle late in games, especially in the second half of the season.

Most of the big plays happened when our secondary was out of position - in the wrong gaps.

Caldwell managed to do better at DT.

I wish we had his touch today. I like how Jim Caldwell always lands on his feet, btw. It is so easy to root for that guy.

Perhaps Coach Mac got us off the schneid this year, Ph. Shelldon's story is unique and the combination of brains,brawn and work ethic don't come along often. The staff envisions him eventually checking in at 6'2 and 285-295. He has terrific strength-speed (400 plus BP/550 SQ/4.63 40) and was dominant in the ESPN nationally televised game against the 8th ranked team in the U.S. (at that time). He was the most dominant player on the field. It is a shame we can't get some of that ESPN footage up for our fans...The guy is an animal.

Tylor Harris...it looks like WF benefitted from his last play in the last game of his season. This guy, like Shelldon, is very much an "Elite Athlete" and is built and moves like a Sunday player. This is one of the stories where I can see the host asking him "So tell me, how exactly did you get to be a 2 star?" Its just as Mac said...he web-passed his film along to colleagues and it took all of a minute for the guys to respond -- "who is that guy and how is that guy available at this hour!?" --

Josh Banks could be the forgotten man...except that Mac and Grobie really like him. The thing I like about him is his socks... this guy has a great attitude and he just interviews so well. He also LOVES WF and the feeling of the close-knit school. Staff believes he'd have a bunch more offers had he any interest in remaining "in the game"... when asked, the names VT,Clem and GT came out. He is projected at 6'4 and around 275-280 and remaining at 4.75-4.8.

Perhaps. We can definitely hope. As I outlined awhile back, the staff's ability to get DL verbals in the week before signing day can be described as nothing short of spectacular.

Our DLs under Caldwell were consistently solid. Our primary defensive weaknesses back then were in the secondary.

As far as DT vs. DE recruiting, imagine where we'd be if our staff didn't pick up the following players in the last week of January/early Feb right before signing day.

2009 - Kris Redding, Nikita Whitlock
2007 - Gelo Orange, Kyle Wilbur
2005 - Boo Robinson, John Russell
2003 - Zach Stukes, Matt Robinson

We've brought in some late guys who have been huge for our DL. The problem is that we're not getting more of them sooner. Most of these guys weren't very highly recruited. Props to our staff for scouring over tape and finding hidden gems.

Back