• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

National Signing Day Thread

I don't have a good answer for you. I don't follow recruiting closely enough to keep tabs on how many schollies we keep available, who potential sleepers are for scenarios like that, etc.

I took an interest in Deion Jr based on some previous conversation on the boards, so I did some research which unanimously pointed to a lack of major D1 talent. Someone mentioned (you?) that we took a chance on Nikita and it's worked out - that's a fair point, but the skeptic in me says Nikita is an exceptional case.

I would agree that we shouldn't sit on open schollies, but I don't really know the protocol for 'filling' them.

Wasn't Nikita the defensive player of the year in Texas as a senior? I don't know anything about Deion Jr., but Nikita had some nice production in high school that made him worth the gamble.

Wasn't Nikita the defensive player of the year in Texas as a senior? I don't know anything about Deion Jr., but Nikita had some nice production in high school that made him worth the gamble.

According to his player bio, he was a Texas 5A Defensive Player of the Year (AP) in 2009....to correct myself we didn't really "take a chance" on him as he had received high accolades for his production.

I'm sure nobody here knows and that each case is unique but I wonder philosophically how we approach pushing for a kid to go public with a commitment. I wonder how aggressive we are with talking about our competition as well. Pointing out the pending sanctions for UNC and uncertain job security for UT coaching staff are totally fair game, IMO.

I'm sure nobody here knows and that each case is unique but I wonder philosophically how we approach pushing for a kid to go public with a commitment. I wonder how aggressive we are with talking about our competition as well. Pointing out the pending sanctions for UNC and uncertain job security for UT coaching staff are totally fair game, IMO.

I agree, but Grobe almost always seems to take the extraordinarily high "high road." I suspect the stuff at UNC and the expected coaching turnover at UT were not discussed much by wake recruiters.

Isn't it reasonable that the NCAA would have announced their sanctions against UNC prior to signing day if those sanctions are to be severe?

More and more I am thinking that UNC will escape with little more than a self-inflicted slap on the hand.

Isn't it reasonable that the NCAA would have announced their sanctions against UNC prior to signing day if those sanctions are to be severe?

More and more I am thinking that UNC will escape with little more than a self-inflicted slap on the hand.

NCAA was supposed to have released the verdict between 8 and 12 weeks after the hearing. Those self-imposed deadlines by the NCAA have come and gone. NCAA was also late in releasing verdict on Boise State and Ohio State. Don't think you can draw any conclusions about severity simply because NCAA is dragging their feet.

Yep. I think they are going to get off scott free somehow.

I think one of the holdups for the NCAA is that UNC has not turned over info (Butch Davis' phone records) and that is holding the process up. You can find out all you want about the NCAA investigation over at PackPride.

I think Lewinson might be my new favorite player.

I was getting ready to say the same thing. Looks like a great guy raised by a great set of parents.

Also, I took a look at some of the videos of him working out in the weight room ..............Good Golly! The kid is strong.

Great to have Shelldon in the Deacon family.

I think the average release of the O$U and U$C after the final hearing put the sanctions coming out on February 4th. Fedora undoubtedly lied/mislead recruits though, no reason to believe he didn't given UNC's general apathy and ignorance of how big an issue this actually was.

My prediction is a three year bowl ban, a very large fine, and a total of 15-25 schollies lost over a three year period.

I think one of the holdups for the NCAA is that UNC has not turned over info (Butch Davis' phone records) and that is holding the process up. You can find out all you want about the NCAA investigation over at PackPride.

Didn't the NCAA request Butch's phone records months ago?

I think the average release of the O$U and U$C after the final hearing put the sanctions coming out on February 4th. Fedora undoubtedly lied/mislead recruits though, no reason to believe he didn't given UNC's general apathy and ignorance of how big an issue this actually was.

My prediction is a three year bowl ban, a very large fine, and a total of 15-25 schollies lost over a three year period.

That would be stiff!

Ohio State's penalty was a one year bowl ban, three scholarships a year for five years, and probation through the end of 2014.

Ohio State's violations were bad, but no where close to the breadth or the number of violations committed by UNC (on the academic and accepting money front). OSU is the cash cow of the NCAA. USC got a two year bowl ban and they're a huge money maker as well. UNC is screwed because the NCAA doesn't care about their football team, the violations are far more serious and numerous, and the NCAA needs to send a message that this is not to be tolerated.

Back