• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NBA moving 2017 ASG out of CLT

By way of further example:

Georgia has a "religious freedom" law that allows LGBT discrimination on religious grounds. Still playing games in the ATL?

Michigan allows child welfare agencies to refuse to place children with same-sex couples if ti conflicts with religious beliefs. I assume games in Detroit are off the list.

28 states do not prohibit LGBT discrimination in housing. That knocks out Orlando, Miami, San Antonio, Dallas, Houston, Cleveland, OKC, Phoenix, Philly (suck it, Townie), Memphis, New Orleans, Detroit (again, yes), Indianapolis, and probably a few more.

Utah, Oklahoma, and Texas prohibit teachers from discussing homosexuality in school. SLC, OKC, and the Texas cities are all out again.

Oklahoma and Tennessee allow healthcare professionals to deny service to LGBT patients on religious grounds. OKC and Memphis represent again.

That took about 20 seconds on Google to look up the most obvious laws. So where can the NBA now play? The bastion of tolerance known as Boston? Silver really stepped in some shit with this one.

At the end of the day the NBA is a private organization that can do what they want, whether it is hypocritical or not, and they have chosen to yank this the ASG over the law. They aren't the first or last company to do so and aren't the first or last to have some level of hypocrisy involved in their decision making. Social issues aside (although I disagree with the law on that front to), it doesn't matter if they are being hypocritical. They can do that if they want and us hollering about it isn't going to change that. What matters is this stupid law is costing the state millions upon millions in revenue and organization after organization is choosing this as an issue to take a stance against, regardless of what they do elsewhere.

Georgia has a "religious freedom" law that allows LGBT discrimination on religious grounds. Still playing games in the ATL?

Michigan allows child welfare agencies to refuse to place children with same-sex couples if ti conflicts with religious beliefs. I assume games in Detroit are off the list.

28 states do not prohibit LGBT discrimination in housing. That knocks out Orlando, Miami, San Antonio, Dallas, Houston, Cleveland, OKC, Phoenix, Philly (suck it, Townie), Memphis, New Orleans, Detroit (again, yes), Indianapolis, and probably a few more.

Utah, Oklahoma, and Texas prohibit teachers from discussing homosexuality in school. SLC, OKC, and the Texas cities are all out again.

Oklahoma and Tennessee allow healthcare professionals to deny service to LGBT patients on religious grounds. OKC and Memphis represent again.

That took about 20 seconds on Google to look up the most obvious laws. So where can the NBA now play? The bastion of tolerance known as Boston? Silver really stepped in some shit with this one.

Qatar.

This is more symbolism over substance, mostly by people who haven't actually read HB 2 (which would allow this event---and any other---to let whoever deuce it up wherever).

But you'd actually have to have read the law to know that, and who has time for that?

Do you think there's a difference between a state having a law banning X and a state not having a law expressly permitting X?

Apparently not. NC didn't have either with respect to bathroom usage, but the CLT Council felt that the distinction warranted being expressly addressed.

Certainly sensing some irony or hypocrisy in the response from elected North Carolina Republicans in their criticism over a private organization making a business decision. Sounds like "smaller government" really just means "government doing what I want it to do." Shouldn't these Republicans just be saying "free market, they can do what they want. Enjoy another city?"

Apparently not. NC didn't have either with respect to bathroom usage, but the CLT Council felt that the distinction warranted being expressly addressed.

So you think NC having a law discriminatory against trans people is the same as a city not having a law on the topic period?

I predict all of those laws + HB2 will be repealed within 15 years if not less.

Ol Roy ain't gonna be happy about having to play the first few rounds outta state for once

Certainly sensing some irony or hypocrisy in the response from elected North Carolina Republicans in their criticism over a private organization making a business decision. Sounds like "smaller government" really just means "government doing what I want it to do." Shouldn't these Republicans just be saying "free market, they can do what they want. Enjoy another city?"

Or how about if local government is so wonderful, why impose a law on a city that wants the opposite of that law?

Ol Roy ain't gonna be happy about having to play the first few rounds outta state for once

why do you think he's loudly come out against the bill? so has coach k, and even gottfried with the perhaps overly optimistic hope of a top 4 seed and an NC regional. wake needn't worry or comment though.

Charlotte is still going to play NBA games in town, but when an organization like the NBA or performer has the discretion whether or not to play in a city, they are not going to award events to cities in NC (the same way SC was kept from hosting a bowl game for more than a decade because of the confederate flag). Charlotte is not the first place or the only place to lose an event because of a stupid state law.

What about the fact that in the original Greek God is referred to as female (at least by analogy) in each of Genesis, Psalms, Luke, Hosea, Deuteronomy, Isaiah and Matthew? Or that Genesis 1:26-27 in the original Greek refers to the diety/dieties as both male and female that that humans were made in their image? Or the fact that Jewish philosophy, the precursor the Christianity, doesn't prescribe a gender to God? Or the fact that in Christianity the only place where God is a masculine is in the God the Son portion of the Holy Trinity given the fact that the other two portions of the Trinity lack a body (and the Holy Spirit is referred to as feminine in Hebrew in the Old Testament)?

ETA: Don't mean to derail the thread and this is obviously an oversimplification, but good grief people are dense.

greek? are you some kind o' moran? jesus spoke english. that is the only bible that matters.

I'm sure Charlotte made similar concessions on a lesser scale.

Now that the Charlotte Hornets and the city of Charlotte have agreed to an arena renovation, NBA commissioner Adam Silver said it’s inevitable Charlotte will get an All-Star Game.

“Personally I’m very excited about coming back here. I don’t think there’s any question it’s going to happen,” Silver said during a visit to Charlotte on Wednesday. “Just a matter of what year.”

The first available All-Star Game up for bid is in 2017. In all likelihood the 2017 and 2018 events will be awarded simultaneously. Silver said there’s no set date for when those games will be awarded, but he’d like it to be as soon as possible.

“We want to award them as early as possible so there would be maximum opportunity to plan,” Silver said.

“I met here with (Hornets president) Fred Whitfield and (team owner) Michael Jordan earlier this afternoon to discuss precisely this, among other issues. It’s a matter of what’s precisely the timetable now for the renovations to the building.”

The city agreed to pay for $33.5 million toward what would be more than $40 million in renovations and upgrades to Time Warner Cable Arena. The league would want most, if not all, of those renovations completed before an All-Star Weekend is staged here.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nba/charlotte-hornets/article9246866.html#storylink=cpy

The best, absolute best part of this move is how butthurt it makes OWGs.

LOL. Not all of them, Townie. I'm thrilled anytime the NBA takes anything out of the state.

(McCrory is also going to be reelected because of all this garbage. I didn't vote for him four years ago, but I am damned sure going to vote for him this time.)

Last edited:

Oh for sure. As I said, the stupidity lies with everyone involved on both sides.

They may be, but currently they aren't. So this will backfire on the NBA as they have to pick and choose which ones to object/adjust to.
Large public demonstrations by influential organizations will be a large catalyst for this national issue to be resolved faster.

Large public demonstrations by influential organizations will be a large catalyst for this national issue to be resolved faster.

Which is perfectly fine so long as the NBA is willing to accept its role as social change agent and all of the ramifications that potentially come with that role, as the market works both ways. It will be interesting to see how far they push these kinds of positions if cities/states start pushing back with respect to infrastructure improvements and tax breaks.

Back