• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NBA Off-season thread: Duncan and Garnett retire

If Duncan doesn't come back, slotting Pau at that spot makes a lot of sense.

It works even if he does. I doubt the Spurs will go after any of the other high profile FA bigs. I guess they could go after Ian Mahinmi and bring him back. They definitely need a C.

Not familiar enough with the Spurs salary situation to know if they can afford Pau with Diaw and Duncan coming back and meet their other free agency goals.

Not familiar enough with the Spurs salary situation to know if they can afford Pau with Diaw and Duncan coming back and meet their other free agency goals.

Yes they can.....If Pauwould take exception money, they could add Conley as well.

It does make a little sense. He's 24. They can't sign 28 year old guys for the max and have them be on the same timeline as all their rooks. Secondly SF is the hardest position to fill in the league. There aren't 10 decent SF's, and if you have to overpay for a position, it's that and SG. (Or center, but they're covered there).

It actually makes zero sense.

Player A: 23 years old, 30.1mpg, 13.4p, 4.4r, 11.0 FGA, 47/40/86 shooting, 15.6 PER, 19.9 USG rate, 1.4 BPM

Player B: 24 years old, 24.2 mpg, 9.5p, 4.6r, 8.2 FGA, 42/29/76 shooting, 14.1 PER, 17.9 USG, 0.5 BPM

Harrison Barnes: 24 years old, 30.9 mpg, 11.7p, 4.9r, 9.6 FGA, 47/38/76 shooting, 12.3 PER, 15.9 USG, -0.2 BPM

Player A signed for 5 years/ $70 million last year after posting the stats above.

Player B signed for 5 years/ $35 million last year after posting the stats above.

SF isn’t a super deep position in the NBA but off the top of my head I can think of 5 SF under the age of 25 I’d rather pay $90 million than Harrison Barnes

In all honesty the Sixers would be better off just hanging on to Jerami Grant. These two players look awfully similar at Age 21, 2nd NBA season:

Player A (per 100 possessions): 26.8 mpg, 17.8p, 8.6r, 3.2a, 1.3s, 3.0b, 42/24/66 on 14.2 FGA, 12.6 PER, -1.3 BPM, 18.0 USG%

Player B (per 100 possessions): 28.3 mpg, 16.7p, 7.0r, 2.6a, 1.5s, 0.5b, 40/35/71 on 15.4 FGA, 9.8 PER, -1.4 BPM, 16.8 USG%

Why pay $90 million just to fast-forward two years, especially when your team isn't contending for anything anytime soon.

As SFs go here are the ones I can think of that I'd rather have than Barnes:

Lebron(yes, you have to include the great ones if you are going to pay Barnes like a great one)
Durant
Kawhi
Haywoond/Butler (they each play both positions)
Giannis (theoretically he is)
Wiggins
Demarre Carroll
Jae Crowder
Parsons
Rick Majerus (Rudy Gay)
Parsons
Harris
Farouq(yes, I'm serious. He really came on last year, plays great D and is shooting threes better than Barnes)

Melo is a better player, but i'm not sure I'd want him.

If someone is stupid enough to pay Barnes $20M/year, he should sign the contract in blood as soon as possible. Any GM who pays him anything close to $20M/year should be fired immediately.

I'm sure I'm missing someone

Yep, I didn't think about Middleton (Whom I love) and Porter is becoming the player people thought he would be.

Spoiler alert, if the Warriors don't get Durant they are going to max out Barnes by matching any offer sheet... And they're supposed to be super smart.

In all honesty the Sixers would be better off just hanging on to Jerami Grant. These two players look awfully similar at Age 21, 2nd NBA season:

Player A (per 100 possessions): 26.8 mpg, 17.8p, 8.6r, 3.2a, 1.3s, 3.0b, 42/24/66 on 14.2 FGA, 12.6 PER, -1.3 BPM, 18.0 USG%

Player B (per 100 possessions): 28.3 mpg, 16.7p, 7.0r, 2.6a, 1.5s, 0.5b, 40/35/71 on 15.4 FGA, 9.8 PER, -1.4 BPM, 16.8 USG%

Why pay $90 million just to fast-forward two years, especially when your team isn't contending for anything anytime soon.

One of these dudes shot 24% from 3 and the other shot 35%. That's a pretty key difference, especially when you're building around young big men.

The Sixers are like $50 million away from the goddamn floor. They have no non-rookie contracts on the books past this season. And forgetting about the bloated contract, Barnes is a pretty good fit because he can be effective without soaking up possessions that should be devoted to developing their young guys. This isn't a big deal. Sign him, don't sign him, who give a fuck?

One of these dudes shot 24% from 3 and the other shot 35%. That's a pretty key difference, especially when you're building around young big men.

The Sixers are like $50 million away from the goddamn floor. They have no non-rookie contracts on the books past this season. And forgetting about the bloated contract, Barnes is a pretty good fit because he can be effective without soaking up possessions that should be devoted to developing their young guys. This isn't a big deal. Sign him, don't sign him, who give a fuck?

He wasn't effective when left wide open as the fourth option.

Wasting about 20% of the cap on a mediocre to terrible player is DUMB DUMB DUMB.

Sign him, don't sign him, who give a fuck?

One of those dudes had Steph Curry as his PG and got a steady diet of open looks. And whatever the difference is it isn't worth $15 million a year

I imagine sixers fans give a fuck

He wasn't effective when left wide open as the fourth option.

Wasting about 20% of the cap on a mediocre to terrible player is DUMB DUMB DUMB.

i hate barnes more than anyone here, but please keep in mind the season is longer than the playoffs. hell, last year he earned the nickname "playoff barnes" because he was so good.

It's a witch hunt on r/NBA trying to figure out Thon's age.

Childress you can't do the Player A/B stuff and not eventually say who they are.

He deserves to get paid, but not $15-20M year. He shold get $8-12M/year. He hasn't proven anything.

Here are two problems with blind projections. First, it's one thing to average big numbers against second stringers and quite another to do so against starters. Also for a physical player, is much less likely to play 40 mpg.

Further using 40 mpg is absurd. No one, not a single player, played 40 mpg. In fact on TWO played as many as 37 mpg.

You can't possibly think Biyambo can sniff Jordan's jock. He had one great series versus many years of top defending and rebounding. That's absurd.

I used per game numbers specifically to satisfy you and used per 40 pace adjusted numbers solely to make educated comparisons. You didn't quote my second post where I posted his per game stats as a starter.

How many players in the NBA have posted 7 ppg, 12 rpg, and 2 bpg averages per game in under 30 minutes per game during the last decade and what are their salaries?

i hate barnes more than anyone here, but please keep in mind the season is longer than the playoffs. hell, last year he earned the nickname "playoff barnes" because he was so good.

That doesn't make sense. In 14-15, he only average 10.6 ppg (5.2 rpg/1.5 apg) shot 35.5% on threes. That's pretty mediocre.

I used per game numbers specifically to satisfy you and used per 40 pace adjusted numbers solely to make educated comparisons. You didn't quote my second post where I posted his per game stats as a starter.

How many players in the NBA have posted 7 ppg, 12 rpg, and 2 bpg averages per game in under 30 minutes per game during the last decade and what are their salaries?

That was for ONE series. For the entire playoffs, he averaged 6.2/9.4/1.4.

You don;t pay a guy for 4-5 years because of ONE series in a five year career.

That was for ONE series. For the entire playoffs, he averaged 6.2/9.4/1.4.

You don;t pay a guy for 4-5 years because of ONE series in a five year career.

No, it wasn't. I never cited his playoff stats. To quote somebody we both know: reading is fundamental.

Those numbers were for the 29 games in which he started at center. What's interesting is that those statistics make him look even more productive than his per 40 minutes pace adjusted stats do.

Back