• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NBA offseason thread

First off Dallas is a large media market, and is ranked 5 behind NY, LA, Chicago, and Philly. Some rankings have Bay Area ahead. So 5 or 6. To say its not a large market is stupid.

Next I really dont know why people are giving Cuban a hard time. If he resigned Chandler were they really going to run through OKC, LAL/LAC, SA, and Miami/Chi for another Championship? NO

And then he would have been hamstrung for the considerable future financially.

Even if they dont land Deron, it was the right move. The Mavs had to get younger sometime. Plus the new CBA dictated a change in his philosophy. I would rather be one and done one year after a championship than cripple the future for a slight chance at a repeat

Talk with the local sportswriters, they are the ones that are saying the FA's are not coming.

All 'big' markets are not the same. Right or wrong the distance between NY/LA and #5 DFW might as well be the difference between 1 and #15. At least if you are being honest about people's perceptions.

Next I really dont know why people are giving Cuban a hard time. If he resigned Chandler were they really going to run through OKC, LAL/LAC, SA, and Miami/Chi for another Championship? NO

And then he would have been hamstrung for the considerable future financially.

Even if they dont land Deron, it was the right move. The Mavs had to get younger sometime. Plus the new CBA dictated a change in his philosophy. I would rather be one and done one year after a championship than cripple the future for a slight chance at a repeat

Local media will give a team sh*t for anything they do... But I agree completely. Chandler doesn't help Dallas be much better than 6th seed and this is an absolutely stacked Western Conference. Perhaps a mentally-healthy Lamar Odom could have done the trick or a healthy Roddy Beaubois, but the Thunder are no joke. One player doesn't change that...

I agree with the second part, too. They had to get younger. Their down-year was a 7th seed in the playoffs. Bobcats and Hornets, for instance, would kill for that kind of rebuilding year. Cuban's a good owner and the Mavs have a solid front office. They'll be back in 2012-13.

Talk with the local sportswriters, they are the ones that are saying the FA's are not coming.

All 'big' markets are not the same. Right or wrong the distance between NY/LA and #5 DFW might as well be the difference between 1 and #15. At least if you are being honest about people's perceptions.

Just out of curiosity who is saying that? I am from Dallas and living in Africa so I am interested in who is actually saying that

Local media will give a team sh*t for anything they do... But I agree completely. Chandler doesn't help Dallas be much better than 6th seed and this is an absolutely stacked Western Conference. Perhaps a mentally-healthy Lamar Odom could have done the trick or a healthy Roddy Beaubois, but the Thunder are no joke. One player doesn't change that...

I agree with the second part, too. They had to get younger. Their down-year was a 7th seed in the playoffs. Bobcats and Hornets, for instance, would kill for that kind of rebuilding year. Cuban's a good owner and the Mavs have a solid front office. They'll be back in 2012-13.

Well the only thing I'd say is that the local media questioned these moves before the season started, so it's not as if they suddenly started questioning the moves as the playoffs came along.

So basically:

Mavs sacrifice this season to land big FA's for next year and be a legit contender, if that happens brilliant move.

But if they only get 2nd tier FA's and cobble together a make shift line up and are in the 2nd half of the west conf, they foolishly gambled and lost as Dirk will be 2 years older before he has any chance to win again.

And let's be serious, when will the West not be brutal, there is a convergence of the old guard and new guard going on right now. It's not getting easier next year. Without Chandler, Mavs almost no chance to repeat this year, with Chandler (i.e. DPOY in the NBA) they would have been a very scary 6 or 7 seed.

I think the one thing we can agree on, it's a pretty big gamble for the Mavs to do this, there are no assurances in the FA market.

If they had resigned Chandler then they still would have had cap space to go after D-Will.

I don't see how there's much of a chance of Howard going to Dallas. Population be damned, Dallas is not an elite destination like Chicago, New York, Boston, or LA.

@SpearsNBAYahoo
Sources tell @YahooSports say they believe the girl that ran on floor in Denver was the same one that stalked Kenyon Martin in his DEN days.

@SpearsNBAYahoo
Sources also tell also tell @YahooSports the woman was screaming: "Where is Kenyon?" to @denvernuggets bench before running on floor.

Matt Barnes looks like Sammy Davis Jr covered in shitty tattoos

images

MATT.jpg

lol gallo with another flop, leads to the wide open blake DAGGER. fuck yes.

Back