• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NC A&T needs a little loan

1976Deac

Reaction score
Momma UNC System just fined them $2M for too many non-NC resident students. Supposedly has to be paid out of this year’s budget?

Link?

Seems weird to fine a university for attracting students paying higher tuition.

Link?

Seems weird to fine a university for attracting students paying higher tuition.
I get what you're saying, but if one of the purposes of tax payer funded public universities is to educate the local population I can see there being a problem if they're under the in-state quota and giving seats to out of state students.

With that said, I can also understand there being explanations for this (e.g., they're not getting enough in state applicants who meet minimum qualifying standards), but it's hard to imagine this being the case.

Sure. I completely agree that’s the mission of public universities. If a university is attracting out of state students who are stronger applicants than in-state students, the solution should be to give them more money to bring in more out-of-state and in-state students. Invest in strengths. Get those out-of-state students to stay in Greensboro and contribute to the #incline.

I don’t know the details, but a fine seems weird on the face of it, especially 2 mil. The UNC system’s governance is a total rotten mess and I don’t trust them at all; so many bad faith actors throughout with ulterior motives.

Maybe it’s legit punishment and all above board, but the system deserves zero benefit of the doubt at this point, and everyone should be suspicious of anything they do until they prove otherwise. No credit in the bank.

Sure. I completely agree that’s the mission of public universities. If a university is attracting out of state students who are stronger applicants than in-state students, the solution should be to give them more money to bring in more out-of-state and in-state students. Invest in strengths. Get those out-of-state students to stay in Greensboro and contribute to the #incline.
Agreed 100% here. I think one of the biggest issues with proportional in-state quotas is that, at a certain point, it creates a zero sum game in admissions. The state would be better served by mandating a specific minimum number of in-state students and the university can fill whatever remaining seats it can handle as it sees fit. If that brings the proportion down, then so be it.

I found an article. It’s not a fine but a reduction in budget for this school year.

It quoted something like 171 students too many from out of state. Didn’t see what the required number/percentage is.

Key statement in that article. A&T's status as the most prominent public HBCU should be treated as an asset not a problem.
"It’s really diverse. I think it is really rich when I was employed there as a faculty member and administrator I had an opportunity to work with students from California, we have this great international population, there are alumni literally worldwide and many of our alumni are really excited about the growth at North Carolina A&T," Floyd said.

She says that diversity is one of the things that makes NCA&T special.

"We all recognize that it is a policy. At the same time it's the largest HBCU and how do we capitalize on the buzz surrounding them," Floyd said.

Some of you people are full of shit.

Would you be happy if UNC-CH were 75% out of state because they pay full tuition ? Because they could make that adjustment next year if they wanted.

Meanwhile that same school could have a stronger incoming student body by admit the best students in the samtate from Mecklenburg and Wake Counties instead of Tryon to throw a bone to the mouth-breathers in Onslow, Swain, and Pasquotank Counties.

I get what you're saying, but if one of the purposes of tax payer funded public universities is to educate the local population I can see there being a problem if they're under the in-state quota and giving seats to out of state students.

With that said, I can also understand there being explanations for this (e.g., they're not getting enough in state applicants who meet minimum qualifying standards), but it's hard to imagine this being the case.
Understood and agreed. The notion of them having to addressa $2M fine, underpayment or budget shortage of any name seems absurdly harsh. At least make it have to come out of next two or three years budget.

how about instead of fining the University, they fire all the assholes responsible who can’t follow the most basic of rules.

Some of you people are full of shit.

Would you be happy if UNC-CH were 75% out of state because they pay full tuition ? Because they could make that adjustment next year if they wanted.

Meanwhile that same school could have a stronger incoming student body by admit the best students in the samtate from Mecklenburg and Wake Counties instead of Tryon to throw a bone to the mouth-breathers in Onslow, Swain, and Pasquotank Counties.
?

Biff is having a hard time understanding a scenario where people are choosing to move to Greensboro. Give him some time to process.

Seem like at those numbers it could simply be a matter of the in state admissions deciding to go to another school. No way to guarantee the exact composition when you’re having to admit some multiple of the actual students who will attend.

$15k extra per student per year vs. a $2M budget reduction - maybe someone at NC A&T simply did the math...

2.56 vs 2.
This is (and will likely be) the only punishment. Students will average 3.something years of that tuition... And it's probably been a trend for a while that only finally got caught...

Back